How you use tabs (new in V3)

Mike Buckley

How you use tabs (new in V3)

Post by Mike Buckley » 25 Oct 14 15:34

The purpose of this thread is to provide ideas about practical use of the tabs, which are new in V3.

I'll begin by mentioning that there are several folders that I commonly use to store photos during my workflow. Each time I open V3, I assign each of those folders to their own tab. (Considering that only the far left tab remains persistent upon closing Supreme, I plan to leave the program open a lot more than in the past.) I can then easily use the tabs to quickly navigate among my commonly used folders, which is more convenient for me than using either of the folders search functions or drilling down through the hierarchy of folders every time I want to access a particular folder. Once I've got those tabs established, I can easily move image files from folder to folder in accordance with my workflow.

This is just my initial thinking about how the tabs may be useful to me. How do you use the new tabs?

DirkS

Re: How you use tabs (new in V3)

Post by DirkS » 25 Oct 14 18:36

Mike,

You could add your 'often used folders' to the Favourites. From there you can open them in a new tab with control left click.

Gr.
Dirk.
Problems searching the forum? Try Google Site Search by adding 'site:forum.idimager.com' to a standard Google search.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 25 Oct 14 18:55

Great idea, Dirk! Thanks...and very nice to hear from you after far too long.

Hert

Post by Hert » 25 Oct 14 18:57

Or if you have a mouse with 3 mouse buttons then the middle button click will also open in a new tab.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 25 Oct 14 18:59

My track ball has four buttons, so neither one of them is in the middle. Even so, I only know what one of the buttons does by default, much less how to program them if that is possible. :oops: I'll see if one of the buttons automatically opens a new tab.

DirkS

Post by DirkS » 25 Oct 14 23:41

IDimager wrote:Or if you have a mouse with 3 mouse buttons then the middle button click will also open in a new tab.
My middle mouse button is also the scroll wheel... Never sure what's going to happen when I to push it down, scrolling or clicking :roll:
So effectively I *don't* have a middle button :wink:

Gr.
Dirk.
Problems searching the forum? Try Google Site Search by adding 'site:forum.idimager.com' to a standard Google search.

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 29 Oct 14 23:55

Morning,

I just installed PSU V3 and am very interested in tabs and how to use them. I can see that the new tab facility will help me a lot, when I fully understand how they work.

> Is the tab facility described in some details in any document?

> In PSU V2 I selected thumbs in a folder and then used the menu "Operations > Add to Portfolio Colection". Will tabs make it possible for me to drag/drop from a folder over to a collection?
Maybe I should use the new CATALOG ALL for this?

> I tried two tabs, one is for a folder and the other for a corresponding collection. When I switch between them I see that it takes longer time to go from folder to collection than from collection to folder.
For example: I have a folder with 34 thumbs and a collection with 16 thumbs. To switch from collection to folder takes me around 2 seconds and from collection back to folder is around 14 seconds. I would be interested to understand the difference in time and also if there is any obvious thing I can do to reduce the 14 seconds lag

> Mike says above that only the leftmost tab will remain when restarting PSU. Is this correct? I would very much like to be able to freeze some specific tabs

> Dick has a hint saying one could use Favourites. How do I do this?

> I am not fully sure what the tab submenu RELOAD will do. What is reloaded and what is the main purpose of this menu? Maybe someone could give a typical example when it could be used

> I tried RELOAD on my folder tab while I was viewing the collection tab. The window blinked once and then the collection name at the top was replaced by the folder name. But I still had the collection thumbs showing. Why is name switched in this way?

Regards, Harald

DirkS

Post by DirkS » 30 Oct 14 2:08

HaraldE wrote:Morning,

> Is the tab facility described in some details in any document?
I don't really know. It is basically the same as in any application that supports opening multiple documents, etc (including web browsers)
> In PSU V2 I selected thumbs in a folder and then used the menu "Operations > Add to Portfolio Colection". Will tabs make it possible for me to drag/drop from a folder over to a collection?
Maybe I should use the new CATALOG ALL for this?
You cannot drag images directly to a different tab. You have to choose copy, change to a different tab and then paste the image. So I don't think this gives you any advantage over your old method.
'Catalog all' may be the better option here.
> Mike says above that only the leftmost tab will remain when restarting PSU. Is this correct? I would very much like to be able to freeze some specific tabs
Actually only the active tab will be saved (which of course is not necessarily the leftmost one). You could submit a feature request in Mantis if you would like this to change.
> Dick has a hint saying one could use Favourites. How do I do this?
The idea is that Favourites are easily accessible and it's easy to open a favourite in a new tab (e.g. by ctrl-click).
You could store e.g. your active working folder in there (and remove it when you don't need quick access anymore). When you start PSU you just do a couple of ctrl-clicks in the Favourites and you have several tabs open with your folders (or labels, or...)
Adding to favourites can be done in various ways: dragging, select 'add to favs' from context menu (right click), ctrl-space, clicking on the star symbol behind the name of folders, labels, etc. And I would not be surprised if I missed some methods here ;)
> I am not fully sure what the tab submenu RELOAD will do. What is reloaded and what is the main purpose of this menu? Maybe someone could give a typical example when it could be used
AFAICT it literally reloads / refreshes the info for the collection shown in that tab. I can't really think of a situation where that would be necessary, so I would also be interested in some more info on this.
> I tried RELOAD on my folder tab while I was viewing the collection tab. The window blinked once and then the collection name at the top was replaced by the folder name. But I still had the collection thumbs showing. Why is name switched in this way?
That's a bug. Reported now (http://mantis.idimager.com/view.php?id=2555)

Gr.
Dirk.

DirkS

Post by DirkS » 30 Oct 14 2:22

Will tabs make it possible for me to drag/drop from a folder over to a collection?
I submitted a feature request to add drag & drop images to other tabs. http://mantis.idimager.com/view.php?id=2556

Gr.
Dirk.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 30 Oct 14 2:47

Thanks to Dirk for correcting me about the one tab that is persistent when Supreme is closed. Very helpful! He's correct that the tab that is active at the time it is closed is the only persistent tab.

I have been using the Favorites for the last few days as Dirk recommended. All Favorites are persistent and one needs only to make a tab from it to display the corresponding collection. For those who can relate to the Virtual Collections that were available in IDimager V5 Pro, the current implementation for me is an improvement on that most advanced implementation of IDimager. That's because the current implementation makes any collection readily available in the form of a persistent Favorite without having to keep the tab open and cluttering the workspace as is required in IDimager V5.

We really do need documentation of the Reload function that is a menu item when right clicking a tab. When so many experienced users of previous versions of the software can't reliably figure out what it's supposed to do, that's an issue that needs to be immediately addressed. I looked in all of the Quick Manuals and the term, "reload," isn't in any of them. It's also not included in the "What's New" document.

Hert

Post by Hert » 30 Oct 14 4:42

Reload re-fetches the content of the tab from the catalog. As if the tab was just opened.
It's what Ctrl-R did in V2.

For instance, you have a tab showing a collection with all 5 star images
You change a few to 4 stars.
Reload the tab and the the 4 star images are removed as all 5 star images are re-fetched
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 30 Oct 14 7:10

I think "refresh" will be more self-explanatory than "reload." Indeed, when conducting my one test, using F5 accomplished the same thing as using Reload. If I understand all of that correctly, using F5 as the shortcut would free up Ctrl-R for use as another shortcut in the future.

Hert

Post by Hert » 30 Oct 14 7:15

Ctrl-r is the typical standard shortcut to reload a tab. F5 is a Windows typical shortcut. The term Reload is better than Refresh because refresh implies a update of the screen, while reload means that the content is reloaded and that is what this does.
Btw, f5 is listed as the alternative shortcut in the Keyboad Shortcuts reference (help menu)

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 30 Oct 14 7:24

IDimager wrote:Ctrl-r is the typical standard shortcut to reload a tab...The term Reload is better than Refresh because refresh implies a update of the screen
That being the case, you might want to consider changing the Keyboard Shortcut Reference. It currently uses the term, "refresh," not "reload."

Hert

Post by Hert » 30 Oct 14 7:37

Yes indeed, now updated.