Importing from other DAMs / exporting

perk

Importing from other DAMs / exporting

Post by perk » 07 Aug 14 18:37

I can see that there are options to import catalogues from certain alternative DAMs (or almost DAMs): Lightroom, Media Pro...

Is there a way to import other catalogues? Or to import information from other cataloguers via a text file?

Specific example:

I am considering migrating from Extensis Portfolio. In Portfolio I have defined a number of custom fields. I do not want to loose the information in these custom fields, but since they are custom they are of course not embedded in the files. However, from Portfolio I can export a text file with all that information that I can then import into another application (if that other application allows it).

Equally, can I export my catalogue information from Photo Supreme to a text file (or possibly xls file)?
Per Karlsson
BKWine Photography
http://www.bkwinephotography.com

Hert

Re: Importing from other DAMs / exporting

Post by Hert » 07 Aug 14 20:39

There are indeed import routines for some other DAMs. Portfolio is not among them.
If your images contain metadata then on import the metadata is imported as well.

Furthermore there is the Import of a Controlled vocabulary file. This is a text format and is a pseudo standard to export/import catalog hierarchical structures. If Portfolio also support an export to such a file then you should be able to import it in PSU.

There are several export features in PSU. There's of course the metadata storage, which is a way to exchange information with other tools. There's also an export feature to a controlled vocabulary file, which exports the catalog structure. And you can export to CSV. You can then choose the fields to include (find it in the context menu of a selected thumbnail(s)

Hope that helps.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

perk

Post by perk » 08 Aug 14 19:41

Thanks for feedback.

This does of course not concern embeddable metadata, since that is - by definition - embedded in the file and lives with it.

My concern is about "custom fields" that are defined in the Portfolio catalogues, fields that contain important information about the files but that are not embedded in the files. In fact, that are not embeddable in the files since they do not correspond to such metadata that can be embedded.

These Portfolio Custom Fields can be exported from Portfolio to a text csv file, but I gather that they cannot then be imported into Photo Supreme.
Per Karlsson
BKWine Photography

DirkS

Post by DirkS » 08 Aug 14 20:16

My concern is about "custom fields" that are defined in the Portfolio catalogues, fields that contain important information about the files but that are not embedded in the files. In fact, that are not embeddable in the files since they do not correspond to such metadata that can be embedded.
I don't think there are really any limits of what is embeddable or not. Whether storing certain info makes practical sense is something else.
The nature of XMP metadata is that it is eXtensible and you can use your own setup. A lot of programs do just that: Lightroom, MS software and also PSU.
PSU for example can store the complete label hierarchy of labels used in images and also info on Portfolios. PSU can recreate portfolios and label hierarchy from the information stored in the images.

Of course the problem with XMP is that you have to figure out what exactly is stored in various fields and companies don't always publish the information.

Getting back to exported CSV data. There are ways of getting this sort of data imported in PSU, for example using scripts.

Gr.
Dirk.
Problems searching the forum? Try Google Site Search by adding 'site:forum.idimager.com' to a standard Google search.

perk

Post by perk » 09 Aug 14 15:10

What is possible is not really the point.

What matters here is what my old DAM does where I have some 140 000 items catalogued.

It does not embed "custom fields" into the file but is capable of exporting it to a text csv file.

Since I am not familiar with writing scripts I am not sure that this feature will help me much.
Per Karlsson
BKWine Photography

Hert

Post by Hert » 09 Aug 14 15:25

If you can share a sample file (an extract of your full file) then I'd be more than help to help with such a script for Portfolio users

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

ctphoto

Post by ctphoto » 04 Oct 14 20:05

Hert,

Did you ever have success with this process? I am thinking of moving my Extensis Portfolio 8.5 catalogs to Photo Supreme. Would this also allow the image previews to import too?

Mark
Mark Savoia
Still River Editions
128 East Liberty Street
Danbury, CT 06810

Hert

Post by Hert » 04 Oct 14 20:46

Hi Mark, a warm welcome to the forum.

I never received any CSV samples from Portfolio users. I guess in the end they didn't find it important enough.

PSU-V3 will have a script that allows the import from CSV (while the script is available, you can't use it without V3, which isn't available yet).
Would this also allow the image previews to import too?
PSU can't trust previews from other tools. Previews always have to be built by PSU and a one time operation.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 05 Oct 14 6:42

Wow, that is fantastic news. I might finally become a convert because of that updated script (if it works, which in IDI it unfortunately no longer does...)
Also looking forward to bulk editing label properties...
Cheers,
Frank

ctphoto

Post by ctphoto » 05 Oct 14 23:31

So any idea on time frame until its ready?

Mark

>>PSU-V3 will have a script that allows the import from CSV (while the script is available, you can't use it without V3, which isn't available yet)>>
Mark Savoia
Still River Editions
128 East Liberty Street
Danbury, CT 06810

Hert

Post by Hert » 06 Oct 14 5:46

Mark, V3 will be released this year.
http://www.idimager.com/WP/?page_id=1352

ctphoto

Post by ctphoto » 06 Oct 14 14:33

Excellent! Thanks!
Mark Savoia
Still River Editions
128 East Liberty Street
Danbury, CT 06810

ctphoto

Post by ctphoto » 06 Oct 14 15:13

IDimager wrote:I never received any CSV samples from Portfolio users. I guess in the end they didn't find it important enough.
Would you like me to send you one to test?
Mark Savoia
Still River Editions
128 East Liberty Street
Danbury, CT 06810

Hert

Post by Hert » 07 Oct 14 10:49

I've received your CSV file...but it contains metadata that should already be embedded in your image files. As far as I can tell, it doesn't hold any additional information, and so I'd recommend that you just import your files in PSU and you should be ok....you don't need a CSV import.

ctphoto

Post by ctphoto » 07 Oct 14 14:05

I thought what I sent you was the catalog CSV. I want to be able to import the catalog so I do not have to load the 500+ DVDs in from start. I am sending you the Extensis Portfolio .fdb catalog file. It appears there is no way to export it as a CSV or anything else. Can something be done with that?
Last edited by ctphoto on 07 Oct 14 14:35, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Savoia
Still River Editions
128 East Liberty Street
Danbury, CT 06810