Misplaced image folders

snowman1

Misplaced image folders

Post by snowman1 » 17 Jul 14 11:14

Hi, I have a slight problem...

I have images that are in the PS catalog but which are not, on disk, where PS exects to find them.

E.g. there may be a file IMG_0001.JPG that PS thinks is in folder C:pictures/2006/2006-05/ but which is actually on a different disk entirely, and one which is no longer connected (actually an old XP machine I no longer use). This is simplified, and there are actually many folders and images, in a nested structure.
[edit: I didn't make this bit clear before] I have copied these files to another, NAS, disk, and so I need to let PSU know that's where they are.

So what I want to do is to re-map the entire folder - at, say, the C:pictures/2006/ level - to it's correct location. So far so good.

Problem is that the folder does not show up at all in the "folders" view to allow me to do this.

I can click on the images, or multiple images, and map to the correct physical file; but that means I'd have to do this for each of the bottom level folders involved, and there are too many to do this.

I don't think scanning, or verifying, a folder for missing files and then adding to the catalog is what I need as the files are already in the catalog and just need pointing to their correct location.

I seem to remember that the old IDI had a "catalog folders" view - showing the folders the catalog knows about, whether reflecting reality or not - as well as an actual physical folders explorer view. That would be what I need, so I could re-map folders at any point in the hierarchy, but there's no equivalent in PS?

I'm sure there's an easy way to do this that I'm just not seeing.

Thanks
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------

Hert

Re: Misplaced image folders

Post by Hert » 18 Jul 14 11:44

snowman1 wrote:Problem is that the folder does not show up at all in the "folders" view to allow me to do this.
I can click on the images, or multiple images, and map to the correct physical file; but that means I'd have to do this for each of the bottom level folders involved, and there are too many to do this.
All folders that are in the catalog also show up in FOLDERS. In fact FOLDERS in Photo Supreme is what Catalog Folders was in IDimager.

1. Click FOLDERS
2. Find the root of the old folder (it should have a red colored folder icon as the folder doesn't exist)
3. Right click on the folder and select "Map to the Correct Physical Folder"
RemapFolder.jpg
RemapFolder.jpg (76.7 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
I seem to remember that the old IDI had a "catalog folders" view - showing the folders the catalog knows about, whether reflecting reality or not - as well as an actual physical folders explorer view. That would be what I need, so I could re-map folders at any point in the hierarchy, but there's no equivalent in PS?
That is what FOLDERS is.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

snowman1

Re: Misplaced image folders

Post by snowman1 » 19 Jul 14 22:50

Hi Hert

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide assistance.

With the information you gave above I realised what had to be wrong. It was a two-fold issue that caused me not to see the folders in FOLDERS. Firstly, I had set the root folder on C: to be where my pictures are on a W7 laptop. Secondly where the missing images used to be, and where PSU believed them to be, was buried deep in a different hierarchy; as that was from an XP machine, and XP used a different structure for users. So those folders didn't appear because of the root folder setting.

PSU has both structures appearing on the same drive, the ghost of XP overlaid on the W7 drive as it were. I did actually think that PSU recognised individual drives by their serial number or some similar attribute? I was expecting to see two C: drives, the XP one and the W7 one. Perhaps that is something to do with them being migrated from idi to PSU? No matter, as removing the root folder setting and navigating to the necessary folders got me there and problem solved.

Thanks,
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------