Asterisk key for expanding lower hierarchy?

vlad

Asterisk key for expanding lower hierarchy?

Post by vlad » 03 Jul 14 9:08

Hello Hert,
I've noticed the following tip from you (written in October 2013 in the tips thread - but I'm asking here, to avoid noise in that thread):
IDimager wrote:Did you know that you can press the * (asterisk) key in the catalog explorer to expand the complete lower hierarchy of the selected catalog label/category or portfolio?

Hert
This doesn't work for me. Is this still supposed to work?

Hert

Re: Asterisk key for expanding lower hierarchy?

Post by Hert » 03 Jul 14 9:16

Hi Vlad, yes it does. Please note that that is the * on the numeric part of the keyboard; I'll make the addition in the tip itself.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

vlad

Post by vlad » 03 Jul 14 10:12

Oh well, that makes the shortcut available for me only in an alternate branch of the multiverse, since I'm one of those poor souls without a numeric part of the keywboard in this world :D

(Well, the truth is that I'm a happy soul, since I actually dislike extended keyboards: I have been very happy with my laptop ever since I bought it, esepcially as it's virtually the only one I've seen with a 16.4" display and with a keyboard without numerical part. I know, I'm strange that way! :wink: )

Vlad

P.S. I do have a Num Lk key that switches to numerical mode, but pressing * in that mode has the same effect as the upper arrow key in the catalog explorer. (...Not that I would use that combination anyway; but + and - for expanding and collapsing would be nice indeed!)

Hert

Post by Hert » 03 Jul 14 10:46

You're not the only weird one in that way. I have a weak spot for small laptops with high resolutions...and with my rapidly aging eyes they become harder and harder to read. Currently still in denial though ;)
None of my laptops have a numeric part on the keyboard. The numeric * can be activated by pressing the Fn key and then the numeric * (in orange on my keyboard). No need to switch to numlock first.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 03 Jul 14 12:14

IDimager wrote:None of my laptops have a numeric part on the keyboard. The numeric * can be activated by pressing the Fn key and then the numeric * (in orange on my keyboard). No need to switch to numlock first.
Just for information, that is not true for my Vista-era 12 inch Acer notebook; it is absolutely necessary to switch to "keypad mode" with FN+F11 to get the * from the P key - no instant shortcut is available.
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; SSD; 16GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

vlad

Post by vlad » 04 Jul 14 15:01

IDimager wrote:The numeric * can be activated by pressing the Fn key and then the numeric * (in orange on my keyboard). No need to switch to numlock first.
Thanks for the tip, it's funny that I've never used those orange characters on the keyboard.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 04 Jul 14 21:44

Just to add this is a general Windows shortcut, not just PSu. For example it applies in Windows Explorer on a directory hierarchy.

Most of the laptops I've used have had "numberpad equivalent" keys invoked by a functionkey, often in the middle of the keyboard and next to invisible, but it does seem to vary by manufacturer.
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------