batch import that renames files with a sequence number?

Post Reply
PhilBurton
Posts: 312
Joined: 12 Sep 10 18:47
Location: CA, USA

batch import that renames files with a sequence number?

Post by PhilBurton » 13 May 14 6:45

Hi all.

I'm still the Photo Supreme newbie and I'm working my way through the detailed reply to my previous question here: http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=23263

I'm still struggling with file renaming. I have a Nikon DSLR and most of my shots include both a RAW and a JPG and occasionally I do a voicememo, which results in a WAV file. The Nikon naming scheme is DSCnnnn.ext. What I want to do is rename files in PSU, so that I don't need to use a separate ingest application like Downloader Pro. In Downloader Pro, I can set up renaming rules so that my files get renamed to

YYYYMMDD_ND3_nnnn.fileext. The ND3 is for my Nikon D3. (For other cameras, mine or others, I would substitute a different string for the ND3 string.) The nnnn is a sequence number starting at 0001, and automatically resetting each time I do imports for a different day. YYYYMMDD is taken from the EXIF metadata. Again, in Downloader Pro, this all works as intended.

For PSU, doing a batch rename process, I was able to get the YYYYMMDD part right, but not the rest, including a four-digit sequence number. I'm still experimenting, so I'm still on the learning curve. Doing some searching, I discovered the Appendix D of IDimager, which lists out macro commands. Are all those macros intended to work the same in PSU as in IdImager? Reading other posts, it's not clear that all the IDImager macro commands are support, or are working as intended. Can anyone clarify this point?

Thanks.

Can someone suggest the sequence of macro commands to get the above result? In effect, do I need to hand-edit the Rename Rule?

Can this rule work when the images being imported span multiple days? That way if I travel and save all my photos to my HyperSpace "data tank," I coudl import all the photos, from the entire trip, with just one operation. That would be very cool, and very convenient.
Photo Supreme user
Home built i7 3930, 32 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64, latest version of Photo Supreme 3, Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS 6 (perpetual licenses)

Hert
Posts: 16001
Joined: 13 Sep 03 7:24

Re: batch import that renames files with a sequence number?

Post by Hert » 13 May 14 8:05

Based on your info, I came up with this naming rule:

Code: Select all

%yyyy%mm%dd_%exif:Make{left=1}%exif:Model{word=2}_%ImageNumber{length=4;reset=date}.%FileExtension
You can copy and paste it in the Text option of the Rename dialog.

Read it as follows:
1. Year; 4 numbers
2. month number; 2 numbers
3. Day number; 2 numbers
4. A text part; underscore
5. The Make tag from Exif and use the first 1 letter; N for your camera
6. The Model tag from Exif and use the second word; D3 for your camera
7. A text part; underscore
8. A sequence number; 4 digits long, reset the number when a new photo date is found
9. A text part; period
10. The file extension

As I've also mentioned in a different topic, the building of a rename rule will change in the future to make it more user friendly. There are extremely many naming options and hence it's very hard to get that wrapped in a simple dialog. But I did my best.
which lists out macro commands. Are all those macros intended to work the same in PSU as in IdImager? Reading other posts, it's not clear that all the IDImager macro commands are support, or are working as intended
Yes, PSU is built on top of IDimager code and this is all unchanged.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

tstoddard
Posts: 584
Joined: 07 Sep 12 12:51

Re: batch import that renames files with a sequence number?

Post by tstoddard » 13 May 14 12:01

Hert,

I think you're being a little hard on renaming interface. I find it to be fairly straight forward given the amount of complexity it can accommodate. I'll be interested to see what you end up doing to make it more "user friendly" but I hope you don't dumb it down so much that it loses any of it capabilities. The way it works now would be fine if there was a more comprehensive guide explaining how to use it and a reference to all of the macro codes available. If it weren't for old Idimager documentation, I would not have been able to do some of what I've done with it.

It's great to have the goal of creating a user interface that is so intuitive that users don't need to read documentation but that isn't always possible. Advanced usage will almost always require some documentation and it seems that many of your users do want advanced features. If you can find ways of making basic renaming rules more intuitive that's great but please don't ignore the need for documentation. Unless you're planning to include property sheets (or some sort of dialog) for each macro code that would list all available parameters with simple ways to enter values for each of those parameters then documentation would still be required.

You've done some amazing things before, though, so I'll wait to see what you pull out of your hat this time. Maybe you'll prove me wrong.

Thanks for constantly improving this program.
Tom Stoddard

Hert
Posts: 16001
Joined: 13 Sep 03 7:24

Re: batch import that renames files with a sequence number?

Post by Hert » 14 May 14 7:50

Don't worry too much about dumbing down the rename capabilities Tom.

And when people complaint that it's not intuitive then they usually have a point. ;)
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

vlad
Posts: 969
Joined: 01 Sep 08 15:20

Re: batch import that renames files with a sequence number?

Post by vlad » 17 Jun 14 23:07

Hello,

Is there a way to preserve the same sequence number across different formats of the same image (i.e., JPG and NEF)?

Right now, if I have DSC_100.JPG and DSC_100.NEF in the original folder, I get something like 0001.JPG and 0002.NEF upon importing and renaming based on %ImageNumber. What I would like to get is 0001.JPG and 0001.NEF, followed by 0002.JPG and 0002.NEF - and so on (i.e., preserve the sequence number within a JPG-NEF pair).

Thanks in advance.

IDimager wrote:Based on your info, I came up with this naming rule:

Code: Select all

%yyyy%mm%dd_%exif:Make{left=1}%exif:Model{word=2}_%ImageNumber{length=4;reset=date}.%FileExtension
You can copy and paste it in the Text option of the Rename dialog.

Read it as follows:
1. Year; 4 numbers
2. month number; 2 numbers
3. Day number; 2 numbers
4. A text part; underscore
5. The Make tag from Exif and use the first 1 letter; N for your camera
6. The Model tag from Exif and use the second word; D3 for your camera
7. A text part; underscore
8. A sequence number; 4 digits long, reset the number when a new photo date is found
9. A text part; period
10. The file extension

As I've also mentioned in a different topic, the building of a rename rule will change in the future to make it more user friendly. There are extremely many naming options and hence it's very hard to get that wrapped in a simple dialog. But I did my best.
which lists out macro commands. Are all those macros intended to work the same in PSU as in IdImager? Reading other posts, it's not clear that all the IDImager macro commands are support, or are working as intended
Yes, PSU is built on top of IDimager code and this is all unchanged.

David Grundy
Posts: 325
Joined: 13 May 07 16:40
Location: Hong Kong

Re: batch import that renames files with a sequence number?

Post by David Grundy » 22 Jun 14 12:48

I'd also like to know how to do this. I didn't think of actually asking ... :)

Hert
Posts: 16001
Joined: 13 Sep 03 7:24

Re: batch import that renames files with a sequence number?

Post by Hert » 22 Jun 14 15:22

vlad wrote:Is there a way to preserve the same sequence number across different formats of the same image (i.e., JPG and NEF)?
You can use the ID parameter for this. When using the ID parameter, the numbering takes place within that ID. By setting the ID to the file extension you'll get numbering per file extension.

For instance:
%ImageNumber{length=4;ID=%FileExtension}

Hope that helps
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

vlad
Posts: 969
Joined: 01 Sep 08 15:20

Re: batch import that renames files with a sequence number?

Post by vlad » 23 Jun 14 10:34

Sorry Hert, but that doesn't work for me yet. Using %ImageNumber{length=4;ID=%FileExtension;reset=date}.%FileExtension with 6 files (3 JPG-NEF pairs), I am getting something like this:

0063.JPG
0064.JPG
0065.JPG
0137.NEF
0138.NEF
0139.NEF

If I repeat the importing, the image numbers always increase for both JPG and NEF's (even after restarting PSu), so there seems to be a problem with the sequence counter not resetting. Could it be because I previously imported images with the same date? What can we have after "reset" besides the date? And how do I make the sequence counter always start from 0 or 1?

IDimager wrote:
vlad wrote:Is there a way to preserve the same sequence number across different formats of the same image (i.e., JPG and NEF)?
You can use the ID parameter for this. When using the ID parameter, the numbering takes place within that ID. By setting the ID to the file extension you'll get numbering per file extension.

For instance:
%ImageNumber{length=4;ID=%FileExtension}

Hope that helps

Hert
Posts: 16001
Joined: 13 Sep 03 7:24

Re: batch import that renames files with a sequence number?

Post by Hert » 23 Jun 14 23:30

There is a file called renamestack.xml in the "%localappdata%\IDimager Systems, Inc" folder. That file contains the last used number per ID begin used.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

vlad
Posts: 969
Joined: 01 Sep 08 15:20

Re: batch import that renames files with a sequence number?

Post by vlad » 25 Jun 14 20:29

IDimager wrote:There is a file called renamestack.xml in the "%localappdata%\IDimager Systems, Inc" folder. That file contains the last used number per ID begin used.
Brilliant: editing renamestack.xml and using %ImageNumber{length=4;ID=%FileExtension;reset=date}.%FileExtension does indeed the trick!

May I quickly ask a couple of things regarding renamestack.xml:
- I notice that iterationJPG, iterationNEF, lastnumberJPG and lastnumberNEF all get incremented - but what are 'lastnumber' and 'iteration' for? (they stay at 0 for me)
- what's the difference between iteration and lastnumber?

Thanks!

Post Reply