PSU Newbie questions - in message

PhilBurton

PSU Newbie questions - in message

Post by PhilBurton » 10 May 14 7:09

This is my first post here (at least since 2010, but please ignore those.)

I am doing the 30-day trial of PSU and I really, really want to like it because I want to do XMP metadata custom extensions (for railroad photogaphy) but I'm struggling becuase I can find only a QuickStart Guide and not a complete User Manual. So I did an import of about 60 images, each with a Nikon D3 NEF and a JPG file, did some "playing around," and found I could not accomplish what I was trying to do. I want to assure you all that if there was a User Manual, I would have read it. :)

So here are my questions:

1. Which menu buttons for extending metadata?
2. I assigned some labels to both JPG and NEF files. I used exiftool to inspect these files and the labels were applied, but no XMP sidecar files were created. How do I put the metadata into XMP sidecar files?
3. The NEF file dates were changed, but not the JPG files. Is this a bug or a feature?
4. How do I know if a sidecar XMP file has been created.
5. How do I rename files on import? Put renamed files into new folder structure, similar to Photo Mechanic or Downloader Pro? Or, do I need to still use one of these programs to perform these functions?
6. How does PS know that a NEF and JPG with same name are one image? First trial import, not an issue, second trial import, was an issue but I didn’t understand what I did since I was playing around with settings.
7. If I need to reorganize files and folders, how do use normal Windows Explorer tools and keep PS synchronized?
8. How can I use an external controlled vocabulary, e.g. the David Riecks’ Controlled Vocabulary Keyword Catalog?
9. Where can I find the “"Quick Manual about Cataloging?” Could not find via Google search.

Thank you in advance. Once I get up the learning curve, I hope to be an active contributor to this forum.
Photo Supreme user
Home built i7 3930, 32 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64, latest version of Photo Supreme 3, Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS 6 (perpetual licenses)

Hert

Re: PSU Newbie questions - in message

Post by Hert » 10 May 14 7:26

Hello Phil, and a warm welcome back.
PhilBurton wrote:I am doing the 30-day trial of PSU and I really, really want to like it because I want to do XMP metadata custom extensions (for railroad photogaphy) but I'm struggling becuase I can find only a QuickStart Guide and not a complete User Manual. So I did an import of about 60 images, each with a Nikon D3 NEF and a JPG file, did some "playing around," and found I could not accomplish what I was trying to do. I want to assure you all that if there was a User Manual, I would have read it. :)
In the Help menu there are more "Quick Manuals" apart from the Quick Start :)
1. Which menu buttons for extending metadata?
Maybe this helps you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlAVxxg363Q
2. I assigned some labels to both JPG and NEF files. I used exiftool to inspect these files and the labels were applied, but no XMP sidecar files were created. How do I put the metadata into XMP sidecar files?
If you don't have Auto Sync enabled then
1. Right click on the thumbnail
2. Select Metadata -> Save Metadata to File
3. The NEF file dates were changed, but not the JPG files. Is this a bug or a feature?
Could it be that you have enabled the Preference to write embedded metadata for RAW files? Preferences -> File Handling -> Allow embedded metadata writing for RAW files
By default it is switched OFF and unless that's what you want I recommend to keep it unchecked.
4. How do I know if a sidecar XMP file has been created.
If there is an orange dot icon in the lower corner of the thumbnail then it needs to have its metadata updated. You can check the file system to verify if there's a sidecar. If you don't have sidecars then I hope that you didn't enable the application preference to only write metadata to the catalog. Because then nothing will be written to the file system. (Preferences -> Synchronize Settings -> Write Settings -> Store metadata to the database only should be unchecked)
5. How do I rename files on import? Put renamed files into new folder structure, similar to Photo Mechanic or Downloader Pro? Or, do I need to still use one of these programs to perform these functions?
You probably only used the Import Wizard, which is the "simplified" import module. Click the button in the lower corner of the Import Wizard to enter the "advanced import module". If preferred, you can switch off the Import Wizard in the preferences (Preferences->General -> Use the Import Wizard for ingesting files)
6. How does PS know that a NEF and JPG with same name are one image? First trial import, not an issue, second trial import, was an issue but I didn’t understand what I did since I was playing around with settings.
If your Import is configured to detect version then it will check for similar file names. You can specify that in the Advanced Import settings.
7. If I need to reorganize files and folders, how do use normal Windows Explorer tools and keep PS synchronized?
I'd recommend to spend some time on setting up a Import Profile to your needs. Then start with a new catalog and use your Import Profile to copy and import all the files from your old structure to the new structure.
But if you still plan on moving folders around in Windows Explorer then you can relocate those in PSU. In FOLDERS, the missing folder will be marked with a red folder icon. Right click on the folder and select "Map to the Correct Physical Folder"
8. How can I use an external controlled vocabulary, e.g. the David Riecks’ Controlled Vocabulary Keyword Catalog?
Import it to PSU with Data->Import from Controlled Vocabulary.
9. Where can I find the “"Quick Manual about Cataloging?” Could not find via Google search.
In the Help menu.
Thank you in advance. Once I get up the learning curve, I hope to be an active contributor to this forum.
Looking forward to that.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

PhilBurton

Re: PSU Newbie questions - in message

Post by PhilBurton » 10 May 14 18:28

I just logged in, and I saw the complete reply, thank you! Yes, I used mostly default settings, just to get started. I used a "test folder," and I expect that the import I did was a "throwaway."

Later today (I hope), I will go through each reply point in turn, and hopefully that will cover all my questions. If anyone else wants to reply, please do! As of now, Saturday morning, Pacific time, 45 people viewed this post, but there was only one reply.

Phil
Photo Supreme user
Home built i7 3930, 32 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64, latest version of Photo Supreme 3, Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS 6 (perpetual licenses)