mantras

Is sharing with Ipernity possible?

Post by mantras » 26 Mar 14 12:55

Hi
ipernity is rally a great photo host site

there are api and scripts
about ipernity scripts
http://www.ipernity.com/help/api

is there a way to use the script with photosupreme to upload images?

thanks
Photo Supreme Evangelist ,windows macos ,photosupreme 5, capture one 12 , photoshop

snowman1

Re: ipernity script

Post by snowman1 » 26 Mar 14 13:40

Yep, I have been waiting and waiting for this.. raised it on Mantis ages ago!
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------

Hert

Post by Hert » 26 Mar 14 13:58

They appear to have a stand alone uploader;
http://www.ipernity.com/about/uploader

You should be able to use that in combination with PSU (or use the great Flickr site and the full portfolio sync feature that PSU offers for Flickr).
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 26 Mar 14 14:24

The point of using PSU to upload is so that the image transferred to the site is the version containing my edits - crops, curves, etc - and also the keywords, geotags, etc.

I do *NOT* want to materialise these edits by saving to the image file and/or creating copies of the original, and then using a stand-alone uploader. That both complicates workflow and increases time spent, creates a storage and versioning nightmare, and defeats the object of non-destructive editing within PSU.

Whether Flickr is great is a matter of opinion - I don't happen to share that opinion but everyone will have ther own view. At the moment the lack of this feature is keeping me locked into flickr if only as a transit point (I use the Ipernity scripts to transfer from Flickr to Ipernity, but again this complicates and lengthens the workflow greatly).

I hate to say it because I imagine a lot of work went in to it, but I looked into using the portfolio sync and concluded that (for various reasons and despite my uploads being based on PSU portfolios) it would not be useful to my workflow even if I were to continue using Flickr as my primary sharing site. IMO that effort would have been better spent elsewhere, including broadening PSU appeal by supporting Ipernity.
Snowman1

Hert

Post by Hert » 26 Mar 14 15:00

snowman1 wrote:I looked into using the portfolio sync and concluded that (for various reasons and despite my uploads being based on PSU portfolios) it would not be useful to my workflow even if I were to continue using Flickr as my primary sharing site.
That's an interesting discussion.
The sync feature is mirroring your Portfolio with Flickr, and updates the metadata on Flickr there where you changed it in PSU, upload new files that you've added to your portfolio collections, updates existing photos where you've altered them, skips photos that you haven't touched (a major time saver), deletes files from Flickr there where you delete them from your Portfolio, and creates photosets on Flickr and keeps track of which image from the portfolio should be in which photoset(s) on Flickr.

When you maintain Portfolios hierarchies to reflect your Flickr site then I can't imagine that the PSU Sync isn't a helpful tool. I'm now very curious to hear from an experienced Flickr user like you, what that those various reasons are that make the PSU to Flickr sync feature not a helpful resource for you (or Flickr users in general).

And on topic; I've added a HTTP interface to the next update so that anyone interested can write a script to connect with his/her own favorite photo sharing site.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

mantras

Post by mantras » 26 Mar 14 18:33

IDimager wrote:
snowman1 wrote:I looked into using the portfolio sync and concluded that (for various reasons and despite my uploads being based on PSU portfolios) it would not be useful to my workflow even if I were to continue using Flickr as my primary sharing site.
That's an interesting discussion.
The sync feature is mirroring your Portfolio with Flickr, and updates the metadata on Flickr there where you changed it in PSU, upload new files that you've added to your portfolio collections, updates existing photos where you've altered them, skips photos that you haven't touched (a major time saver), deletes files from Flickr there where you delete them from your Portfolio, and creates photosets on Flickr and keeps track of which image from the portfolio should be in which photoset(s) on Flickr.

When you maintain Portfolios hierarchies to reflect your Flickr site then I can't imagine that the PSU Sync isn't a helpful tool. I'm now very curious to hear from an experienced Flickr user like you, what that those various reasons are that make the PSU to Flickr sync feature not a helpful resource for you (or Flickr users in general).

And on topic; I've added a HTTP interface to the next update so that anyone interested can write a script to connect with his/her own favorite photo sharing site.
thanks i know
but a photo supreme script could upload photos?
just for interrest
Photo Supreme Evangelist ,windows macos ,photosupreme 5, capture one 12 , photoshop

Hert

Post by Hert » 26 Mar 14 18:44

Yes, from the next update on, it will be possible to use a script to upload photos. Of course the script developer will have to follow the rules of the Photo Sharing Service API definitions.

mantras

Post by mantras » 26 Mar 14 18:52

IDimager wrote:Yes, from the next update on, it will be possible to use a script to upload photos. Of course the script developer will have to follow the rules of the Photo Sharing Service API definitions.
cool!
because sadly under windows 7 or 8 , drag and drop thumbs from photo supreme to an external application like firefox it's not possible

i tried to select files in photo supreme and drag and drop to firefox (with ipernity or 500px upload dialog page drag and drop) without luck

Hert

Post by Hert » 26 Mar 14 19:18

Did you hold down that Alt-key while dragging to an external application?

mantras

Post by mantras » 26 Mar 14 20:17

IDimager wrote:Did you hold down that Alt-key while dragging to an external application?
WOW Sir!
it works!! with alt key i can upload all the files with 1 click
what can i say? photo supreme v2 is the best dam even made!
cheers

mantras

Post by mantras » 27 Mar 14 7:49

IDimager wrote:Did you hold down that Alt-key while dragging to an external application?
Hi
could be added the the new shortcuts http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=16082 ?
like the loupe and alt+thumbs ,and other shotcuts
they are very useful
thanks

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 30 Mar 14 14:05

IDimager wrote:That's an interesting discussion.

Hi Hert

Sorry for delay responding. I wanted to answer your query, partly because anything that gives you info to steer the product better has to be a good thing, and partly because you were asking a genuine question and deserve an answer.

The reason it is not a useful feature for me is for several reasons. They are largely down to the way I use PSU and Flickr and I’m not saying they apply to anyone else, but here goes: I don’t see the need to keep PSU and Flickr in sync, at least not with PSU as the master all the time.

(1) Effort and convenience. The fact is that after the initial upload with an initial, fairly basic, set of tags, I quite often dip into flickr and add tags here and there as I think of them. Now in a perfect world, I would go into PSU and add those tags there and sync – which is what the feature was intended for – that would enrich the PSU data-set and aid searching. But the truth is I don’t do that. Because rather than just doing it on the fly as I’m browsing through flickr, that would mean I have to be on my own laptop where PSU is installed (not say, browsing at work at lunchtime), I have to remember what the picture is and what tag I wanted to add, go into PSU, locate the picture, update the tags – not as easy as in Flickr where due to the flat structure a lot of tags can be added in one easy operation - and then do a re-sync. This turns it into a major task.
(2) Tag purpose. The tags in PSU serve a different purpose to the ones in Flickr. The former are for me to find pictures and can be a fairly limited (and structured) set. The latter are for other people to find pictures and are aimed at being as inclusive a set as possible, e.g. including synonyms; and I quite often add them as I go along, as mentioned above.
(3) Nature of my portfolios. If I had a portfolio that was constantly growing, e.g. (I’m making something up here) “fine art”, then I can see it would be useful to re-sync every so often so the flickr collection would continually reflect updates to the PSU portfolio. But the fact is that my use of portfolios is - currently - based around events such as a holiday or a specific family day out – they represent the “ones that made the cut” and that I want to share with friends, family, or Flickr users (more on this below). They don’t grow. I create them, after that they are static. I suppose I could sync the parent portfolio but there’s not really any point or need to do that.
(4) Back conversion. I have a lot of pictures in portfolios and in Flickr already. If I were to sync them, (a) I have to ensure the Flickr collections are structured exactly the same as PSU portfolios and (b) this will blow away all the existing flickr tags or go to a lot of trouble entering them one by one into PSU; which would take months (yes, you could argue they should be there already, but they aren’t; see bullet 1). And if I’m not careful that the portfolios match exactly with Flickr then (c) I could end up with unwanted additions to or deletions from Flickr.
(5) Privacy / audience categories. I generally treat the portfolios as my own personal collection and record of an event. Of these the better ones will go onto flickr. Some I only want friends and/or family to see as the pics would only be relevant to them, not a wider audience. The point is that the audience is different for each of these categories; and I manage this by (a) not uploading all of a portfolio and (b) by using flickr privacy categories to manage what audience sees which pictures. A sync won’t work for me.
(6) One-way destructive sync. I don’t want to overwrite what I have in Flickr. Sync behaviour when I tested it appeared to be that any headlines, descriptions or tags entered in Flickr would overwrite what was there in its entirety, although if there was no headline/description/tag then the corresponding Flickr data would not be altered. Also any sub-collections did not appear on Flickr.
(7) Lack of need. The simple fact is that it’s no effort to select all the pictures in a portfolio, or a subset, and load these to flickr. So the sync facility wouldn’t buy me much even if it were useful to me.

I’m not after entering into a debate about this or how I should do things differently, I’m just saying it for information and because Hert asked, and I hope it’s of some help. I know – users never do what you think they should :-o :-) .

Oh, and please don't think I'm being over-critical of the product - I think PSU is now a very good product indeed, a bit quirky but now I've got used to the way it works I like it a lot - keep up the good work.
Snowman1

Hert

Post by Hert » 30 Mar 14 16:41

Thank you for your thorough explanation. The sync-feature is intended for a workflow where PSU is leading to keep your Flickr profile up-to-date. Apparently in your workflow it isn't and you do things in PSU, then in Flickr and even your Flickr/PSU tags are not interchangeable. And on top of that you currently don't have a Portfolio that tells you what images are on Flickr. I fully understand now.
As I mentioned in my earlier reply; I couldn't imagine it not being helpful in a workflow where you maintain Portfolios hierarchies to reflect your Flickr site. You don't seem to do that.