Travel Mode - HowTo?

jbell

Travel Mode - HowTo?

Post by jbell » 26 Mar 14 4:30

I do not want to mess this up. My images (50,000+) live on a Dlink NAS. I use the latest Photo Supreme on a desktop PC to manage them (Win7 64bit).
I will soon be visiting another country for 4 months. I will use a laptop (Win7 32bit) for computing while traveling.
I want to be able to work on tagging and cleaning up the whole catalog while I travel - without taking the NAS.
I was wondering if someone could give me a step by step instructions for getting this set up so that when I return I can apply all my edits to the original files.
Like I say, I really want to get this right and not waste 4 months of work - or goof up the original files - when I return home.
Thanks!

Hert

Re: Travel Mode - HowTo?

Post by Hert » 26 Mar 14 12:26

The steps to follow are these:

1. Use Photo Supreme's backup feature on the home/office/desktop computer. Probably the easiest is to backup to a folder on a USB drive
2. Install the software on the laptop and download your license there too. A single license allows you to run the software on multiple computers as long as you are the user. No need for an additional license.
3. On the laptop, use Photo Supreme's restore feature to restore the backup as created in step 1
4. Switch the application to Travel mode. That can be done in the File menu. The toolbar will color red while in Travel mode

5. After you return home, backup from the laptop and restore that backup on the desktop.
6. If you prefer to keep metadata in your photo files, then now is the time to sync the images so that all your work from during the travel is written to the files. Do that with CATALOG -> Catalog States -> Out of Sync; there select all and use right click on a thumb -> Metadata -> Save Metadata to file

In case you also add new images while on the road, then make sure that you switch off Travel mode to import them on the laptop. After that you can switch Travel Mode back on. When importing on the laptop then I recommend that you mirror the home situation as far as possible when it comes to folder structure. That highly simplifies the process back home.

Back home, copy the new image to the desktop/server after you've restored your backup from the laptop to the desktop. You can copy the files with your Windwos Explorer or Mac Finder. When you've mirrored the home hard drive structure for your images you now need to relocate the root of your images to the copies on the Desktop computer. Open FOLDERS, find the laptop drive and root of your photos. Right click and select "Map to the correct Physical Folder".

I hope I didn't overlook a step.

Hope that helps
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 26 Mar 14 16:20

Wouldn't you also have to synchronize any files for which any changes in metadata were made while in travel mode? Write metadata to file?
Tom Stoddard

Hert

Post by Hert » 26 Mar 14 18:47

Very true! I've updated my previous reply
Thank you
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

jbell

Post by jbell » 27 Mar 14 1:11

Perfect!
Thank you so much for the help. Now I have one less thing to worry about while enjoying my travel.
I'll try and remember to report back how it all went when I return.
JBell