Using Photo Supreme with Lightroom?

Ed_Harty

Using Photo Supreme with Lightroom?

Post by Ed_Harty » 05 Mar 14 20:18

A couple of months ago I was trialing Photo Supreme but decided to buy Photoshop CC / Lr. While I really like Lr's editing capabilities I am not very impressed with its DAM functionality and am looking for a way to use a full featured DAM along with Lr . So, is there a way to use both Lr and Photo Supreme? Unfortunately, my PSu trial has expired so I cannot experiment to find this out myself.

Hert

Re: Using Photo Supreme with Lightroom?

Post by Hert » 05 Mar 14 22:04

Lightroom and PSU are both playing well together as both are XMP driven. You'll need to take a few things into account when working with the two. I'm not a LR user myself, but hopefully some of the many LR/PSU users will chime in later.

First, make sure that when you edit an image coming from PSU that the image is in-sync before opening it in LR. That way you can prevent running into issues where both tools updated the XMP.

Another challenge is to see edits from LR in PSU. LR writes it's edits as a set of editing parameters and only adobe tools will be able to interpret those edits. This means that you won't see your edits in PSU (or any other non adobe tool for that matter). Some use a DNG workflow to get around this and LR can then write a preview in the DNG that has the edits applied.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

george

Post by george » 06 Mar 14 3:50

Hi Ed,
Hert wrote:Another challenge is to see edits from LR in PSU. LR writes it's edits as a set of editing parameters and only adobe tools will be able to interpret those edits. This means that you won't see your edits in PSU (or any other non adobe tool for that matter). Some use a DNG workflow to get around this and LR can then write a preview in the DNG that has the edits applied.
Just in case any of what Hert said is not familiar, there's a good discussion of parametric image editing (PIE) and the rationale for using DNG here:

http://www.dpbestflow.org/image-editing ... ge-editing
George

Ed_Harty

Post by Ed_Harty » 06 Mar 14 16:27

Thanks for the info Hert and George. I had not previously thought about using DNG and will have to see if the workflow works for me. Very interesting read.