PS slow on old machine

dcoberlin

PS slow on old machine

Post by dcoberlin » 24 Feb 14 4:12

I am getting started with my DAM and frustrated by achingly slow function and "not responding" status (and even crashing) when doing file renaming, moving, verifying, etc. I am currently on an old laptop with Core 2 dual 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 750Gig HDD, 64bit Windows 7. It is clear that working with 85,000 imported images is going to be painful until i can upgrade. My questions are: What strategies can I to access these photos with the least freezing up and waiting for tasks? What are the specs recommended for machine to handle PS in my setting?
Thanks, dco

Hert

Re: PS slow on old machine

Post by Hert » 24 Feb 14 6:45

"Waiting for" typically means processor speed. But the most significant speed increase can be achieved with an SSD, that's a world of difference compared to a HDD
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Preston B

Post by Preston B » 24 Feb 14 16:00

DCO,

Win 7 64 bit uses a lot of RAM, so with only 4 GB total on your system, that could cause 'not responding' errors or crashes. I'd suggest upgrading your RAM to 8 GB. Second, if your HDD is getting full, you may not have enough free space that the OS needs for file operations, so you'll need to reduce the amount of space that's used by moving files to another drive, uninstalling programs you don't use, and deleting old files. Third, try defragging the HDD after you've cleaned it up.

Hert's suggestion to move everything over to an SSD is a good one. If you can, use an SSD for your OS, programs and 'working documents' and your old HDD for storage. I recommend either Intel or Samsung SSD's.

--P
Preston Birdwell
Columbia, CA

Photo Supreme on Puget Systems Obsidian: Win 10-64 bit Intel i5Quad Core 3.3Ghz 32GB RAM, and Puget Systems Traverse Laptop. Chamonix 4x5 and Nikon D-7100.

Please visit my web site at www.gildedmoon.com

dcoberlin

Post by dcoberlin » 25 Feb 14 16:43

I appreciate the advise.
I will try to get a Dell E6510 laptop and install a 128 SSD and 2750 GB HDD.
What about processor i5 vs i7, dual vs quad, speed etc?

Preston B

Post by Preston B » 25 Feb 14 20:58

DCO,

I think that an i7 quad core 2.4 GHz will get you there. The faster Haswell i7 quad core mobile CPU's jump up in price quite radically.

I have a Puget Systems15" laptop with an i5 quad core, 8GB RAM, 2 GB NVidia video, and a 240GB Intel 520 SSD. It runs 1GB Photoshop files easily, so an i7 with at least 8GB RAM will do very well. If you need more RAM, you can have them install it, or upgrade later as your needs dictate.

I have two of Puget's computers: my laptop and a desktop. Both are excellent. Before you commit to Dell, check these guys out. They'll do you right, won't try to up-sell you, and their customer service is beyond any reproach. I have no affiliation with them other than being a very satisfied customer.

--P
Preston Birdwell
Columbia, CA

Photo Supreme on Puget Systems Obsidian: Win 10-64 bit Intel i5Quad Core 3.3Ghz 32GB RAM, and Puget Systems Traverse Laptop. Chamonix 4x5 and Nikon D-7100.

Please visit my web site at www.gildedmoon.com

dcoberlin

Post by dcoberlin » 25 Feb 14 21:27

typo 750 gb!

dcoberlin

Post by dcoberlin » 25 Feb 14 21:32

Thanks Preston
I was unaware of Puget.
dco