How to distinguish/search for pictures in a version set?

freudenthaler

How to distinguish/search for pictures in a version set?

Post by freudenthaler » 23 Feb 14 13:51

The concept of versioning is used to collect similar images together, normally for images dereived from the same image. I normaly develop the same picture (regardless if jpeg or raw) in two versions: in a color variant and in a black & white-variant - both are then grouped together in version set.

The problem now is the following:
The b&w-picture gets tagged during my development process with keyword B/W. After the import in PSu it's no problem to search for this specific keyword, since the images are still separated. However, after grouping the color and b&w-variant together in a version set even the color variant gets the B/W keword applied - which in my unerstanding is a design flaw of PSu, since I want to apply keywords to (single)images and not to sets. But there still could some good reasons or considerations for this behaviour - Hert, any suggests or hints for that? Why doesn't a version set handle different "keyword sets" - technically I can see no reason?

So searching for keyword B/W returns the the whole set and dependend on the display sequence of the version set (main version) I might see the b&w-Version or not. So keywords lose at least a part of their searching power in a version set.

While a separate version-set-placeholder "BlackWhite" might be a solution, it's not the one I am happy with, since I want to handle the differentiation with keywords. Anyone seeing alternatives? Thanks in advance.
Robert | glass stories | Fuji X | LR Classic CC | C1 | PSU 4+5 | Win 10/64 on i9-9940X |

Mike Buckley

Re: How to distinguish/search for pictures in a version set?

Post by Mike Buckley » 23 Feb 14 16:32

A discussion of which variants of an image should or should not be included in a version set as a matter of best practice has been coming up from time to time over the years. I actually don't know what is considered to be best practice.
freudenthaler wrote:Anyone seeing alternatives?
When I have color and black-and-white versions of an image, I handle that in my file-naming scheme. As an example, if the color image is numbered 801 and I decide to also produce a black-and-white image of the same composition, I rename my color image and all of its versions 801A. I name the black-and-white image and all of its versions 801B. I assign the "black-and-white" catalog label only to 801B. When I then see a file name including either "A" or "B" in the image number, I instantly know there is another fundamentally different rendition of the same composition. When I conduct a search of black-and-white images, only the black-and-white images are returned.

freudenthaler

Post by freudenthaler » 26 Feb 14 12:59

Mike Buckley wrote:When I have color and black-and-white versions of an image, I handle that in my file-naming scheme.
Hi Mike,
distinguishing versions via file naming schemes can be worth considering. However, I do have often several different color and BW versions, so that I can't say if 901B is the first black & white picture or just the second color version.
I have set up a proper naming scheme for the main workflow, but it changed often in the past :-( Besides that I use several different tools to create the versions and it's not always easy to force them to use the same naming scheme.

Looks like I do have different "road-works" to solve (but who - dealing with DAM - doesn't?).
Robert | glass stories | Fuji X | LR Classic CC | C1 | PSU 4+5 | Win 10/64 on i9-9940X |

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 26 Feb 14 13:15

Mike Buckley wrote:if the color image is numbered 801 and I decide to also produce a black-and-white image of the same composition, I rename my color image and all of its versions 801A. I name the black-and-white image and all of its versions 801B.
I just now realized that is not an accurate description of my file-naming scheme. Instead, I leave the name of the color image unchanged. I name the black-and-white image 801BW. Considering that you may have different versions of the black-and-white image, you could name the black-and-white image 801BW-1, 801BW-2, etc. Just a thought.