Child Label lost Connection to Parent Category

tplunkett

Child Label lost Connection to Parent Category

Post by tplunkett » 10 Feb 14 15:37

I am in serious need of some help - I am concerned the PSU DB is all messed up now.

A sample of my structure for category labels is:
Events (Category)>Holidays>Christmas 2009
Events (Category)>Holidays>Christmas 2010
Events (Category)>Holidays>Christmas 2011
Events (Category)>Holidays>New Years Eve 2009

I have many,many child labels under the Holidays Node.

I wanted to reorganize the structure slightly so I would have a new general Christmas level with each Christmas child label nested underneath it.

Events (Category)>Holidays>Christmas>Christmas 2009
Events (Category)>Holidays>Christmas>Christmas 2010
Events (Category)>Holidays>Christmas>Christmas 2011

Here is what I did:
I added the new child Label under Holidays for 'Christmas'
Using Ctrl-Click I selected three category labels for Christmas 2009, Christmas 2010, and Christmas 2011 (I wanted to try and move several at once)
I then dragged them to the new label 'Christmas' (dragged with the mouse as opposed to using the Relocate this Label command)

The system started the Synchronize service. I noticed I no longer saw the general Holidays label on my screen in the category tree view. Also noticed that it was synchronizing ALOT (I think it did ALL of the thousands of images under all Holiday child labels) more files than the 100 or so I had in the three categories I was moving.

The Problem now.

I have no Holidays label or any of its children at all under the Events category in Category tree explorer. When I search for these images I can find them and note that they have the proper labels as keywords (i.e. Holidays, Christmas 2010) as well as their XMP data for the LR Heirarchial nodes. I do write catalog data to the ID Imager ICS Scheme and notice that that data seems intact and proper in the image as well

When I search for the labels using Ctrl-F in the category tree, I can find Holidays but is is shown as 'Holidays()'. Note the empty parenthesis as if PSU does not know it has a parent Category of 'Events'. If I search for 'Christmas 2010' it shows in the find box 'Christmas 2010 (Holidays)' but when you press enter no results are returned. I think the normal display for a similar nested child label would have been a structure like 'Brett Birthday 2002 (Events::Birthdays)

In summary it is as if the Holidays sub label has lost its relationship/connection with its Parent Category of 'Events'.

Any ideas on how I can correct this situation? I have thousands of images in the sub labels under this Holidays label. As a note, I have not Compacted the DB at this point. I don't know if that would help but did not want to do so until I sought some help first. Also I am running the latest version of PSU 2.0.2.1021 64 Bits.

As you can imagine any help someone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Hert

Re: Child Label lost Connection to Parent Category

Post by Hert » 10 Feb 14 15:43

First thing to try is to compact the database.

Does that help?

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

tplunkett

Post by tplunkett » 10 Feb 14 16:17

That did not seem to help. Visually in the category explorer the Holidays label is still not shown. When searching for the label with Ctrl-F I see even stranger results than before. For example when searching for 'Christmas' one of the results shows:

'Christmas 2003 (Holidays::Birthdays::Nick Birthday 2006)'

Birthdays is NOT a child label of Holidays. It is a child of the category Events.

What's the second thing to try?

Hert

Post by Hert » 10 Feb 14 16:49

If you just did a compact of the database, and it tells you that Birthdays is a child of Holidays then that's probably also where you can find it

And Christmas 2003 can probably be found under Holidays::Birthdays::Nick Birthday 2006
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

tplunkett

Post by tplunkett » 10 Feb 14 16:58

It states Birthdays is a child of Holidays but it is not shown as a child through the category explorer.

Holidays cannot be found anywhere in the category explorer. Only when I search through Ctrl-F do I see even this information.

Do you think I am going to have to create a new catalog and try importing all of my pictures from scratch?

Hert

Post by Hert » 10 Feb 14 17:09

First make a separate backup first. Do you have an existing backup? If so, restore that. If not, first try to rebuild the search data as well. That may take a while to complete.

On Weidmic's PSU page you can find the instructions for rebuilding the search data
http://www.picolo-photography.com/psu

BTW; odd that after a compact of the database you still can't find the hierarchy. This because on compact, the hierarchy information is rebuilt as well. If your database isn't too large I'd be happy if you could send me this version. Not the thumbs, just the idimager.cat.db

Hert

tplunkett

Post by tplunkett » 10 Feb 14 17:31

Hert,

I have a backup from two days ago and I will resort to that if I need to. Of course yesterday I worked most of the day tagging about 1,000 pictures so that effort would be lost if these other options do not work. Not the end of the world though :-)

I would be happy to send you the database. It is 450 MB or so. How would you like me to send you the file?

In the meantime I will try rebuilding the search data and see if that works.

Thanks

Hert

Post by Hert » 10 Feb 14 17:37

You could use a file sharing service like Dropbox or google drive or skydrive (or was that renamed)

You mentioned auto-sync earlier so your tagging efforts should be in the image metadata and you'd be able to retrieve that back to the catalog by reading the metadata for those files

tplunkett

Post by tplunkett » 10 Feb 14 18:06

The Rebuild of the Search data completed and unfortunately it did not solve the issue.

I will work on getting you the file through a file share.

I would read the meta data from the files but they are scattered amongst many folders and I am worried my general DB is not right any longer and would feel better about starting from the backup of 2 days ago or else rebuilding a new catalog from scratch.

Hert

Post by Hert » 10 Feb 14 20:44

If you've used a folder verification before then finding the altered files will be as simple as running the Verify Folder again. That will show you the files that have changed.

tplunkett

Post by tplunkett » 11 Feb 14 3:44

Just wanted to let you know that I went ahead and re-imported all my images into a new catalog. I think the key that allowed me to do this was my setting to write all of the labels to the Lightroom Hierarchy in the image files. I read those in with the setting in the synchronize to read from the lightroom hierarchy. This ability basically saved me in this situation and allowed me to recreate my catalog.

Hopefully this info will help someone else who may end up in my situation some day. Without this ability I would have lost hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours invested in my hobby of tagging / organizing my pictures!

Hert - I will not bother you with examining my catalog DB unless you are still interested. Its hard telling what went wrong in my scenario.

Thank You.

Hert

Post by Hert » 11 Feb 14 9:14

Good to read that you're back up and running.

Maybe you can do your first "Verify Folder" now so that PSU records file signatures and you can use Verify Folder afterwards to keep track of future changes.

Hert