Coypright Statement and Creative Commons

tstoddard

Coypright Statement and Creative Commons

Post by tstoddard » 31 Jan 14 13:09

Is there a recommended way to use the creative commons field, specifically the copyright statement? PSU adds a standard copyright statement to that field whenever either of the checkboxes are unchecked. Is that default text that PSU inserts the standard way to right a copyright statement or should it be modified in some way. For example, should it include the author's name? What other fields need to be populated in order to ensure that the image is properly protected?

Also, was that panel always there or was it added in V2? I never noticed it before.
Tom Stoddard

gcoupe

Re: Coypright Statement

Post by gcoupe » 31 Jan 14 13:49

Tom, the text varies according to country. See the Field Guide:

http://photometadata.org/META-Resources ... #Copyright Notice
Geoff Coupe
--------------
Photo Supreme /Windows 10 Pro 64 bits + Windows Home Server 2011 = DAM

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 31 Jan 14 13:58

Oh, and I've only just noticed the clickable Creative Commons symbol that will insert boilerplate text. It should certainly have the author's name included. This CC button is new to me. I've always added my own CC conditions via my Profile.
Geoff Coupe
--------------

Hert

Post by Hert » 31 Jan 14 14:58

The Creative Commons option was added in V2.

At the bottom of the dialog you can add your own statement and also include your name there.
CC.png
CC.png (44.12 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
The text for Usage Terms and the coding in Copyright Notice are defined by Creative Commons. Depending on the options that you select, some additional descriptions are added. All these texts/options are defined by the CC website and downloaded to your computer though the CC-API. PSU will refresh the texts from the CC website on a monthly frequency.
When you include the copyright reference to Creative Commons (e.g. Creative Commons.BY.NC.ND) in your image then you comply with these specific texts...which of course is the whole purpose of using CC

You'll see the same options on the CC website: http://creativecommons.org/choose/
The CC coding is explained here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 31 Jan 14 15:13

Hert, is the %yyyy supposed to resolve itself into the year? It just sticks in the string %yyyy for me...

BTW, I like the fact that the CC texts are automatically kept up to date via this button. Very useful.
Geoff Coupe
--------------

Hert

Post by Hert » 31 Jan 14 15:16

Geoff, the %yyyy is resolved when you click Apply. It will use the year of the photo(s) that you apply the detail profile to. Of course you're free to change it to a fixed year.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 31 Jan 14 15:20

Ah! Clever!
Geoff Coupe
--------------

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 31 Jan 14 15:55

This is a great feature, Hert! Thanks!

What I'm wondering, though, is whether it is necessary to include my name in the copyright statement if I already have populated the other metadata fields for creator and licensor. It seems redundant?

Also, I find the checkbox and radio button combinations a little misleading. For example, if I want to prevent somebody from using my images commercially, I have to first check the box that says "Allow commercial uses of your work?", then I have to click the "No" radio button. I realize now that the question mark is the important part but at first, I thought, I shouldn't check the box that says "Allow....". Please correct me if I'm mistaken but if I leave both check boxes unchecked, I'm basically allowing the most liberal license terms regardless of which radio buttons are selected. Is that correct? I'm not at home now and can't experiment but I think when I tried it this morning, I ended up with a CreativeCommons.BY license inserted into the field when I applied this without checking the check boxes.

Either way, I can work with this once I know exactly how it works and it should be easy to ascertain once I take a few minutes to experiment.

Thanks again!
Tom Stoddard

Hert

Post by Hert » 03 Feb 14 11:21

tstoddard wrote:What I'm wondering, though, is whether it is necessary to include my name in the copyright statement if I already have populated the other metadata fields for creator and licensor. It seems redundant?
It's up to you to define a copyright statement. For professional or public use (like on the internet), I would personally try to leave a little room possible for confusion. You're right that it's redundant as you also have your name entered as the Creator. Yet, the copyright owner isn't always the creator. For example when a photographer works as a (sub) contractor for another party.
Also, I find the checkbox and radio button combinations a little misleading.
That is not up to me. The options are downloaded from the Creative Commons website. PSU simply visualizes that what CC defines and returns over the CC-API

Hert