Of Catalog Labels, Custom Input Fields, and keywords…

Jeff F

Of Catalog Labels, Custom Input Fields, and keywords…

Post by Jeff F » 30 Jan 14 18:06

As I mentioned in another thread most of my work consists of composited images of one sort or another be it HDR, Focus Stacking or Panoramas. I generate large collections of nearly identical images so have obsessed over file naming in an effort to keep track of these ‘similar’ files.

I also mentioned that I process files in many different programs (with the notable exception of Lightroom) so I need to maintain common portability. As such I try to identify industry standards and common practices as they evolve.

With that background in mind I would very much appreciate any advice as I set up my PSU practices. I was very intrigued by the ‘Custom Input Fields’ video but don’t want to overtax PSU in any way, as I would have if I had used the embedded raw feature of DNG.

1) Is there a preferred hierarchy between Catalog Labels, Custom Input Fields, and Keywords for functionality within PSU and outside of PSU when using tiffs (opposed to Raw & jpg) with other mainstream image software?

2) Should I try to keep Catalog Labels to a minimum and load up on Custom Input Fields or vice verse?

3) Also, Folder Structure, is it easier for PSU to deal with many separate folders or with deeply nested folders?

Thanks for any help,

Jeff F