Can I enter a Title that Flickr will find

tstoddard

Can I enter a Title that Flickr will find

Post by tstoddard » 19 Jan 14 22:31

I am still experimenting with Flickr and I have a question about the title that Flickr displays on my pictures. In PSU the title field in the details panel shows the file name. I believe this is the default behavior that PSU uses. There was a thread discussing this recently but I can't seem to find it. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate that.

Anyway, I had hoped that the text in the title field would be what Flickr would see and use as a title on my photos but that doesn't seem to be the case. if I change that title in the detail panel to something more descriptive and then upload the photo to Flickr, the file name is still what is displayed on my photos in Flickr. Is there some way or somewhere in PSU to edit the text that will be displayed in Flickr? I'd prefer to be able to do all of my editing in PSU and then just sync my collections with Flickr. What a time saver that would be! It is what I hope to accomplish.

From what I've been able to find online about Flickr, it supposedly looks for the title in the IPTC metadata. When I make changes in PSU it appears only to be written to the xmp metadata. Am I missing something?

Thanks - Tom
Tom Stoddard

Hert

Re: Can I enter a Title that Flickr will find

Post by Hert » 19 Jan 14 22:47

The Headline is what is always used as the sub text.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 20 Jan 14 1:39

That works! Thanks!
Tom Stoddard

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 20 Jan 14 11:24

Tom, there are a number of fields in the metadata standards that are closely related, such as Title, Description, and Headline. What adds to the confusion is that implementers often interpret the standards in different ways. So to take a particularly irritating example, the Windows OS interprets the standards differently to Windows Photo Gallery. Both are from Microsoft, but as usual, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I've found this Field Guide to be useful in such cases to determine how to use the fields.
Geoff Coupe
--------------
Photo Supreme /Windows 10 Pro 64 bits + Windows Home Server 2011 = DAM

Hert

Post by Hert » 20 Jan 14 11:41

That's a nice reference Geoff.

The Title field is the most misused field...and the main reason is its misleading name. When you look at the definition of the field (copied from your link):
This field can include a shorthand reference for the image or “photograph” - primarily for identification. The title of an image should be a short, human-readable name - text and/or numeric reference - and may take several forms. For photographers, this might be the filename of their original scan or digital camera file. For news organizations it might be the name of a story it accompanies. The Title term should not be confused with the Headline term, which is a short synopsis of the photograph's content.
There it clearly states that the Title should be a reference to the document. In general, for computer use, that implies a reference to the file on disk as that is where the file can be found. That is even explicitly mentioned in the standards. Of course it's very confusion to name a field "Title" when it's actually a reference...but one can argue about the fact if "title" and "reference" are interchangeable in the context of certain workfields (like photography) and so it's not completely wrong.

In order to try to comply with the standards as much as possible and for future interoperability of the metadata, I keep recommending that people don't use the "Title" field to enter a "title" (in the classic sense of the word). Such a "title" should be entered in "Headline".

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 20 Jan 14 13:24

Thank you both for the information. I was aware of the Title field's purpose and had actually submitted that quote from the standard in an earlier post myself. What I was trying to determine is how those fields map to the fields that Flickr uses. Hert pointed out that the "Headline" field in PSU is displayed at the bottom of the photo in Flickr and I have also determined that the "Description" field from PSU is displayed in the description field in Flickr.

Now I know that I can populate those fields in PSU before uploading to or syncing with Flickr and I won't need to spend time logged into Flickr entering that information. I still need to test the synchronization process to see if changes to those fields that I make in PSU will be made in Flickr when I synchronize and vice versa.

I hope this information helps others who are integrate a PSU and Flickr workflow.
Tom Stoddard