Edits not applied when using share to Flickr

snowman1

Edits not applied when using share to Flickr

Post by snowman1 » 22 Nov 13 11:22

Hi

I use the "adjust" functionality to make an edit to my image - cropping in this particular example. So I click "apply" on the crop dialogue and then "apply" on the adjust dialogue. The thumbnail then shows the cropped picture correctly. But when I use the "share" button to upload my picture to flickr, it is the original, unedited, image that gets uploaded. This is not the behaviour I want and it isn't what I'd expect to happen, am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks
Richard
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------

gcoupe

Re: Edits not applied when using share to Flickr

Post by gcoupe » 22 Nov 13 11:54

PSU has a non-destructive editor, which means that you need to either create a new version of your edited image, or apply it to the original file and overwrite the original with the results of the edit.

What you've uploaded to Flickr is the original file with a cropping recipe added to the metadata in the file. The image itself is unchanged.
Geoff Coupe
--------------
Photo Supreme /Windows 10 Pro 64 bits + Windows Home Server 2011 = DAM

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 22 Nov 13 14:05

Thanks for the reply Geoff, but idi never used to be like that. It applied the edits on the fly (I assume) as it uploaded or shared the image. TBH if PSU doesn't do that then lossless editing loses the point if you have to save to a physical file - a second file unless you want to overwrite - and upload that.
Snowman1

Hert

Post by Hert » 22 Nov 13 14:14

Snowman, PSU does apply the edits, but not if you configured your transfer profile to not apply sizing. By deselecting sizing you tell PSU to send original files. So enable sizing in the Flickr profile...
Hope that helps
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 22 Nov 13 15:07

Hi Hert,
If I was being picky it seems to me that PSU is conflating two separate things there, and that a separate checkbox to apply edit or not would be useful (but maybe there's a very good reason, coding-wise, that you have to link the two). It's certainly not obvious that one has to choose to resize in order to apply edits, perhaps a change of wording on the dialogue might easily if partially address that, maybe it could be included in your tips section on this forum as well.
But to hell with picky, this does exactly what I want ;-)
By setting the size to a high value and leaving the "resize if smaller" option unchecked, this allows me to upload the original size including the edits, which is my aim. Many thanks for responding so quickly (you too Geoff).
Cheers
Richard
Snowman1

vlad

Post by vlad » 02 Mar 16 16:02

snowman1 wrote:Hi Hert,
If I was being picky it seems to me that PSU is conflating two separate things there, and that a separate checkbox to apply edit or not would be useful (but maybe there's a very good reason, coding-wise, that you have to link the two). It's certainly not obvious that one has to choose to resize in order to apply edits, perhaps a change of wording on the dialogue might easily if partially address that, maybe it could be included in your tips section on this forum as well.
I have no idea if that was ever submitted to Mantis, but I completely agree with Richard. In addition, there are some other oddities, as noted here: http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=24136