Screen shot attached
Any ideas?
Thanks
Ralph

Hert

Re: Database Error 3103

Post by Hert » 10 Nov 13 8:26

Hello Ralph,
So sorry to hear about your hard drive failure.

You didn't attach a screenshot, but I assume that mainly shows the error code. I did a google on the error and it returns that 3013 means that the backup file is badly formatted.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290787

uPDATE: My mistake, I now notice that your error is 3103 and not 3013. I looked up that error and it seems that that error is raised when not all the necessary backup files are present to do a full restore

You did use the option to restore from an IDimager backup in the tools menu?

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

cardio1

Post by cardio1 » 10 Nov 13 19:36

I restored to v5 with the restore menu then saved to a separate location. Restored into PS and got the errors.
SQL works ok when tested
file named idimager.database.backup
thanks
Ralph
Attachments
error
error
ScreenShot001.jpg (90.68 KiB) Viewed 5775 times

Hert

Post by Hert » 10 Nov 13 21:04

Thank you for the screenshot.

That shows that you get an "Access is Denied" error.

When you use backup/restore then the SQLServer process has to have access to the backup/restore location.

From the conversion manual:
In IDimagerV5-Pro-SQLServer, make a backup of your database. You can do that from the Catalog Maintenance feature in the Tools menu. There click the Backup option and then
backup to a folder. Use a new folder for this purpose, for example a new folder on your desktop. Remember that SQLServer can only create backups to folders that are accessible by
the user account that is associated with the SQLServer service. In case needed, change that account to the Administrator account. You can do that in the SQLServer Configuration
Manager.
This is also explained in the “Photo Supreme SQLServer Installation Instruction” as linked above.
I've highlighted the relevant part.

Also see step 7 from the PSU-SQLServer installation manual. This step explains how to configure the login account in SQLserver correctly. This is needed when the standard SQLServer account that Microsoft associates with the process is not allowed to access your backup or restore folder.

Hope that helps

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

cardio1

Post by cardio1 » 13 Nov 13 3:42

I'm a little lost here. SQL server installation is perhaps above my pay grade and I messed it up?
In the instruction manual on page 13 it shows changing the log on to administrator. When I try to do that I get the screen shots attached.
V5 saves fine
PS starts ok and sql tests ok
Is there an area of the forum titled "SQL for Dummies"?
Thanks
Ralph
Attachments
ScreenShot002.jpg
ScreenShot002.jpg (123.73 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
ScreenShot001.jpg
ScreenShot001.jpg (126.4 KiB) Viewed 5711 times

Hert

Post by Hert » 13 Nov 13 8:55

Hi Ralph,

If changing the user for the SQLServer process to the Administrator is above your head then maybe it's better to move the backup files. Unfortunately SQLServer requires some knowledge to manage it. Here it looks like you entered ./administrator instead of just administrator, though hard to tell as the error overlaps that what you entered :).

From your first screenshot (the one from a few days ago), it shows that you're trying to restore from a folder in your user Documents folder. That is the issue here. The user associated with the SQLServer process doesn't have access to this folder. Changing the SQLServer user to administrator would help as the administrator does have access to that folder. But another option is to use a folder that *is* accessible for the SQLServer user.

If you say that IDimager can write a backup, then try to copy the backup file from this Documents folder to the same folder where you normally save a backup and then do the conversion from that folder instead of the folder in your Documents.

Does that help?

Hert

cardio1

Post by cardio1 » 16 Nov 13 1:18

In sql server configuration, when I put in just administrator and either master2004 or my personal password it says the path is not valid.
so i saved the backup to my desktop and opened PS as administrator, PS says the database is out of date and shuts down
Not sure why so much stuff is in the backup file?
Is there a better place to put the backup file?
How do I get PS to stay open and find the database?
Sorry I'm so dense
Ralph
Attachments
ScreenShot001.jpg
ScreenShot001.jpg (410.33 KiB) Viewed 5671 times

Hert

Post by Hert » 16 Nov 13 20:23

Ralph,

You should do a full PSU installation. *Never* connect to an IDimager database. Also make sure that the backup created in IDimager is created with the latest 5.1.3.6 version.

1. Install PSU with a *new* database
2. In PSU, select the IDImager restore option from the Tools menu
3. Do the restore

Then in startup, it will prompt for login (use the login credentials that you used to use in IDimager) after which the database conversion starts.

Hope that helps

cardio1

Post by cardio1 » 17 Nov 13 20:27

IDimager wrote:Ralph,

You should do a full PSU installation. *Never* connect to an IDimager database. Also make sure that the backup created in IDimager is created with the latest 5.1.3.6 version.

1. Install PSU with a *new* database did that
2. In PSU, select the IDImager restore option from the Tools menu did that
3. Do the restore still can't find database

Then in startup, it will prompt for login (use the login credentials that you used to use in IDimager) after which the database conversion starts.

Hope that helps
So opened V5, saved to idimagerbackup folder.
Open PS and I get screen shot attached

should i uninstall PS and reinstall?
Does it make any difference I have not yet applied my license?
Thanks
Ralph
Attachments
ScreenShot001.jpg
ScreenShot001.jpg (267.92 KiB) Viewed 5622 times

Hert

Post by Hert » 17 Nov 13 20:58

Ralph,

Did you followed the installation instructions, and
1. Installed PSU
2. Started PSU with a *new* database
3. Prepared IDimager (the instructions mention that you must use the latest version)
4. Made the backup in IDimager
5. Used the restore in the Tools menu.

Those are the 5 steps that you must follow. Based on your medssages, I think that you either restored a backup created with an older IDimager version or that you tried to connect to the IDImager database from PSU. But from these two, I expect that your IDimager is not the latest version and now you have a restored database that PSU can't work with.

PSU can only convert a database that was created with the latest IDimager version; 5.1.3.6. To fix that:

1. Install the latest IDimager version
2. Run IDimager 5.1.3.6
3. Create the backup file

4. Now in SQLServer you have to delete that wrong database. Use the SQLServer Management tool to detach the wrong photosupreme database

5. Start PSU and connection will fail (as the database is deleted). Create a new database
6. Restore the IDimager backup from the Tools -> Restore from IDimager backup file.

Does that help?

Hert

cardio1

Post by cardio1 » 30 Nov 13 22:46

Hert,
I've attached screenshots.
Correct v5 software
backup stored appdata idimager
start PSU and it does not like database

How do you find database(s) do delete in SQL manager? I searched help and couldn't find how to do that.
Thanks
Ralph
Attachments
ScreenShot005.jpg
ScreenShot005.jpg (108.4 KiB) Viewed 5521 times
ScreenShot004.jpg
ScreenShot004.jpg (104.4 KiB) Viewed 5521 times
ScreenShot003.jpg
ScreenShot003.jpg (97.48 KiB) Viewed 5521 times
ScreenShot002.jpg
ScreenShot002.jpg (148.83 KiB) Viewed 5521 times
ScreenShot001.jpg
ScreenShot001.jpg (141.99 KiB) Viewed 5521 times

Hert

Post by Hert » 30 Nov 13 23:04

start PSU and it does not like database
You don't say what database it doesn't like. If you mean the IDimager database then that's correct. PSU can't connect to an IDimager database, they are different.

Following the installation instructions it tells you to create a new PSU database, then start PSU and connect to the new database, then from the menu restore the IDimager backup (not a normal restore, but the IDimager restore)

To delete a database in SQLServer you need to install the sqlserver management tools, start it and login as SA user. Then open the database tree, select the database and delete it with right click-delete. Delete the PhotoSupreme database
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=7593

Another option (maybe quicker) is to delete the registry key sqldbcreated in HKCU\software\idimager systems, inc.\idi
Then start PSU and create a new database and let it overwrite the old PhotoSupreme database

Hert

cardio1

Post by cardio1 » 01 Dec 13 23:00

Hert,
We're making progress!
Deleted old database and now can get into PSU but doesn't like the backup file though I really, really did it with the proper version of V5.
Thanks
Ralph
Attachments
ScreenShot003.jpg
ScreenShot003.jpg (98.49 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
ScreenShot002.jpg
ScreenShot002.jpg (93.25 KiB) Viewed 5492 times
ScreenShot001.jpg
ScreenShot001.jpg (160.79 KiB) Viewed 5492 times

Hert

Post by Hert » 01 Dec 13 23:20

I'm so happy to see the progress.

Please make sure that you select to restore from an IDimager backup. It's in the Tools menu. Do not restore an IDimage backup with the standard restore feature. That will give problems

The issue now is that you have stored your backup in a folder that isn't accessible for the sqlserver process. Sqlserver uses a separate user in windows which doesn't have that much authorizations in the rest of the operating system (for safety). You could best leave the backup in the folder where you created it with IDimager.

Another option is to configure sqlserver to use the administrator user as the user to run the sqlserver process. How to do this is explained in the installation manual of PhotoSupreme for Sqlserver in the section about backups, which is section 7 of the Configuring SQLServer

http://www.idimager.com/Trial/QuickInst ... upreme.pdf

Hert

cardio1

Post by cardio1 » 03 Dec 13 23:29

I am using the proper restore button in PSU (restore from Idimager file)
When i've tried to change SQL server(sql express) properties to .\administrator it won't let me. When I browse and try to add it it won't let me do that either.
I've saved the V5 backup multiple places trying to get this going. Is there ONE place where PSU expects to find it?
Thanks
Ralph