Updating MAC version

rfcat

Updating MAC version

Post by rfcat » 27 Oct 13 12:59

Hi,
I have installed and been using Photo Supreme for awhile, this is good. Updates came through.

Now I get notifications of updates, but they all fail. I am not able to identify the source of the updates to put bypasses in the firewall.
I know they have to come the Apple Store, but that still doesn't help.

I just tried again under Maverick and the the updates fail. All the Apple and other 3rd party applications download and install correctly.

Any hints would me much appreciated.

Ian
Ian M
Photography, understanding how to catalogue so I can find my photos. :D .

Hert

Re: Updating MAC version

Post by Hert » 27 Oct 13 14:47

Hello Ian,

The update mechanism for apps in the MacAppStore (MAS) is Apple's mechanism. Developers are not permitted to provide version checking or update mechanisms in the MAS software.

Are you getting an error message? From personal experience with Apps from the MAS, I have had apps that I purchased that wouldn't update and then I had to do a complete delete and a re-download from the MAS. However, I wouldn't recommend this, knowing that deleting and app that was downloaded from the MAS will also delete *eeverything* that is related to the app (the Apple Sandbox philosophy) and hence you will loose all personal configuration and database files.

So in general; first make sure that you make a complete backup. Check the backup folder and make sure that at least your catalog file is in there (it uses the .cat.db file extension). Then try a delete and redownload from the MAS. If that doesn't help then I can only refer you to Apple support as this is all outside of my scope.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

rfcat

Post by rfcat » 29 Oct 13 11:39

Hi Hert,
from reading the logs the update fails because it fails to start. The update isn't coming from Apple but your home site from where I downloaded the original from. The update is trying to download the latest trial package, not an update.

Regards

Ian
Ian M

Hert

Post by Hert » 29 Oct 13 11:57

Hi Ian,
I know they have to come the Apple Store, but that still doesn't help.
This is what you mentioned in your opening post, so I concluded that you bought the update in the MacAppStore. You didn't? Reason why I need to know is because the version on our website is not the same as the version in the MacAppStore. The MAS has some additional requirements. Since the versions are not the same, I need to know if you bought in the MacAppStore or from the website.

If you bought from the MAS then the license is in the application that you download from the MAS. You then can't run the version from the website as the Apple purchase license is not available for developers.

If you bought from the website, then make sure that you download your license from the User Control Panel at https://cp.idimager.com and that the license is stored in your Documents folder. Yes, the update downloads the trial version (identical as the one from the website), but the existence of the license file in your Documents folder is what unlocks the trial.

Hope that helps
Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Hert

Post by Hert » 29 Oct 13 12:02

Also make sure that you configured MacOS to allow applications from identified developers. Check System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> General -> Allow apps downloaded from. Make sure that setting is set to at least "Mac App Store and identified developers"

rfcat

Post by rfcat » 03 Nov 13 12:17

Hi Hert,
I bought the original from your site. I also downloaded the updates from your site until recently when Supreme started telling me there are updates, but they never arrive.

So what you are saying is I should down load the trial from your site and install it?

Regards

Ian
Ian M

Hert

Post by Hert » 03 Nov 13 14:50

Hi Ian,
rfcat wrote:So what you are saying is I should down load the trial from your site and install it?
That is correct, install the version from the website, or the one from the Control Panel at https://cp.idimager.com (doesn't matter which as they point to the exact same file). On startup it should find your license in the Documents folder; assuming that you have downloaded your license

Hert