Can't get labels into file

Jesperben

Can't get labels into file

Post by Jesperben » 21 Oct 13 22:38

I think that I have a problem. But I have just switched from IDImager to Photo Supreme, so maybe I'm just ignorant.

1. I have imported a folder of jpg images into PSU.
2. I chose all images, and in Details I gave them the same headline and description. Clicked on Apply
3. In Assign I labeled the images one by one
4. An orange dot appears in the bottom left corner of the thumbs. I assume this tells me that the assigned labels are not synchronized with the image.
5. At this point in IDImager I used to choose "Export catalog info into the image's XMP/IPTC". Not sure what the same function was in PSU, I chose both "Save metadata to file" and "Auto Synchronize Metadata".
6. But the orange dots are still on the thumbs and when I look in Details, I can't see the keywords. I can't see the stars neither.
7. I have tried the Tools-Sync all out-of-sync-images.
8. In Preferences-Synchronize setings I have enabled "Automatically write out catalog changes to the image file". Nothing changes, the dots are still there, the keywords are not.
9. In Catalog- By Catalog State the files are listed as Out of Sync.
9. The files are not read-only. I have tried with different test files on different hard drives - same result.

Am I very silly or do I have a problem? And what could be my solution?

I use Windows 8.1. PSU ver. 1.9.7.174 (64 bits)
My preferences
My preferences
PSUscreen.jpg (37.83 KiB) Viewed 4980 times
Trying to get a lot of old pictures out to the family

Le_Lion_07

Re: Can't get labels into file

Post by Le_Lion_07 » 22 Oct 13 7:26

Hello from France.

To write metadata into file(s), I usually do this :
- select photos (thumbnails),
- right-click on any thumbnail,
- choose : "Save metadata to file".

Of course, PSU must be in "on-line" mode.

Hope it helps.
Photographies

L'importance du regard...
Tant qu'il y aura des étoiles...

Hert

Post by Hert » 22 Oct 13 7:53

Hello,

On your screenshot I notice that keyword processing is set to "do not modify". That indicates that you don't want PSU to write labels to keywords.

I think that's the reason why you don't get labels as keywords.

Hope that helps
Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Jesperben

Post by Jesperben » 22 Oct 13 8:18

On your screenshot I notice that keyword processing is set to "do not modify". That indicates that you don't want PSU to write labels to keywords.

I think that's the reason why you don't get labels as keywords.
Thank you for your replies. I have now changed it to "Replace keywords with Catalog labels", but the problem is the same. (I have also tried the "Merge ..." setting).

I am afraid that the case is getting more mysterious. I made a closer inspection of all the 114 images in the folder. In some of the images no keywords are wrtten, in other images one keyword is saved, and in a few images three keywords are found. But all the images miss several keywords.

Ruhell

Post by Ruhell » 22 Oct 13 8:47

Did You try to click the orange dot on the picture to synchronize it?
Sometimes I need to do it several times before the picture is sync'd

Hert

Post by Hert » 22 Oct 13 10:30

If you want to force write then use right click -> Metadata -> Save Metadat to File (Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+F12). Then you don't have to wonder what the application does. Clicking the dot is a bi-drectional sync and the application will decide to either read from or write to the file. If you have to click several times to get it sync'ed then the state of the file in the catalog is not what *you* expect it to be. In that case force the write.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Jesperben

Post by Jesperben » 23 Oct 13 14:11

I am still out in the dark here.

I will appreciate ideas to how I search for the problem.

Should I re-convert my database from IDImager? Should I reinstall Photo Supreme? Can I check the health of the database in some way (I already did compact it)?

Other suggestions? Could it be a Windows issue?

I have a lot of versions in a directory-structure, that Photo Supremes importer can't recognize. So I can't just recatalog the images, I have to convert the database from IDI.

Hert

Post by Hert » 23 Oct 13 15:11

Ah, you're an IDimager convert. In that case; could it be that your storage media changed recently (new hard drive, new computer, etc).

1. Open FOLDERS
2. Check if there are red top level nodes.
3. If so, right click on the top level node and select "Map to Correct Physical Folder"
4. Point to the same folder

Does that helps?

Hert

Jesperben

Post by Jesperben » 23 Oct 13 19:11

Thank you for the suggestions.
could it be that your storage media changed recently (new hard drive, new computer, etc).
I did get a new computer this summer. But I haven't changed anything since I converted the IDImager database.
Check if there are red top level nodes.
No, the nodes are not red.
3. If so, right click on the top level node and select "Map to Correct Physical Folder"
4. Point to the same folder
I have followed this procedure. The program said: "Mapped 0 folders"

The problem is still there.

A few more details - maybe they can be useful:

- Since the problem first occured about 70 more more of my images has gone out of sync. They are apparently random images from the catalog, I haven't worked on them or even looked at them recently. It looks like alle the versions in a set goes out of sync at the same time. They get the orange dot, and they are show in the Out of sync-section in "by Catalog State"-view.
- The bulk of my images are on an external harddrive. But I have tested this issue with images on my internal hard drives as well - it's the same problem. - Photosupreme is installed om my C-system drive. The database is in the default location.
- I converted from IDImager by copying the database folder from IDImager to Photosupreme. I didn't convert the thumbs database but let PhotoSupreme make a new. It took 24-36 hours for 36.000 images.
- My computer is a Dell XPS 8700. It has a 2TB SATA Hard Drive which has an Intel SRT 32GB SSD Cache. I have tried to turn off this cache but with no change in the situation.
- I have used IDImager until a week ago, I haven't had similar problems with that program.

Thank you for looking at my problem.

Hert

Post by Hert » 23 Oct 13 19:46

Next question;
In the screenshot, I notice that you have auto-sync switched ON. Can you try switching that OFF? Does right click -> Metadata -> Save Metadata to File work then?

Also, the files are not read-only I assume?

In addition, if this keeps failing; can you try to Read Metadata from File. Then try again.

We must be overlooking something obvious here

Hert

Jesperben

Post by Jesperben » 23 Oct 13 22:10

In the screenshot, I notice that you have auto-sync switched ON. Can you try switching that OFF? Does right click -> Metadata -> Save Metadata to File work then?
No.
Also, the files are not read-only I assume?
No.
In addition, if this keeps failing; can you try to Read Metadata from File. Then try again.
I have entered test information in a file using another program (Irfanview). When I use "Read metadata from file" in Photo Supreme, the new information is displayed in the Details Panel and the new keywords become labes in the catalog. The original problem still exist.

Thanks again for your time, I'm sorry to be such a bothersome case.

Hert

Post by Hert » 23 Oct 13 22:59

Ok, one more test. Can you try this:
1. Close PSU
2. Delete (better to rename) your options.idi file in the %localappdata%\Idimager systems, inc.
3. Start PSU

Now try again

Does it work now?

Jesperben

Post by Jesperben » 24 Oct 13 6:24

No, that didn't help.

Hert

Post by Hert » 24 Oct 13 9:09

Then that leaves two things:
1. your database
2. your computer

Next step; best to try this with a test image
0. Assuming that you still use a new options file
1. Create a temporary folder on disk
2. Copy a new image into this folder (for example a snap from the camera)
3. Start PSU
4. Use File -> Import Single Files and import the test image as created in step 2
5. Assign catalog labels
6. Sync the image

Does this work?
Hert

Jesperben

Post by Jesperben » 24 Oct 13 12:43

0. Assuming that you still use a new options file
I renamed the original options file as described. But PSU has not made a new one as far as I can see.
6. Sync the image

Does this work?
Yes, it worked! I tried two different files in different folders, and they both worked instantly.

I have done almost the same thing several times earlier before writing here in the forum. But those tests didn't work. The differences are the new folders and the single-file-import-method, it seems - and the options file maybe?