Feature requests for PSU-V2

Hert

Feature requests for PSU-V2

Post by Hert » 17 Oct 13 23:14

Hello all,

Together with the release of Photo Supreme, the ticketing system Mantis also became the place for our community members to log their bugs and feature request. Many have done so and Mantis today contains an impressive, long, list of high quality feature requests. Many of such requests where already implemented while V1 matured. Mantis has proved its use and I'm thankful that this community was flexible enough to switch away from the forum to Mantis for their ticketing needs. Mantis is now the most important resource for setting out the future development path.

The development for V2 started recently and I'd like to call on everybody who has feature suggestions to log their requests in Mantis. And if your feature request is already there (search for it first) then make that known. Add a note to that ticket and cast your vote; a simple "+1" will do. In the end, the number of votes for feature requests do have an impact on how high a request ends on the feature list.

And then even better news: to everyone who jumped in the PSU boat as an early adopter. Together we rode a rocky road and I can't express enough of my gratitude to those who continued to support the product and helped to bring it where it is today: either silently, or with healthy criticism, by talking about the product in online blogs and forums, or even just by asking questions. Without you all PSU wouldn't be where it is today. The growth of PSU-V1 was impressive and I don't think that I've ever released a product that had so many features additions during a single version life cycle.

To show my gratitude for the support that I was so lucky to receive, I'm happy to let you know that PSU-V2 will be a free upgrade for everyone who holds a PSU-V1 license.

Cheers and happy photographing

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

andrew.heard

Re: Feature requests for PSU-V2

Post by andrew.heard » 17 Oct 13 23:29

I have wondered for a long time what the future of PSU was to be, with the increasing number of feature requests in Mantis that *seemed* be be ignored... so this announcement is *great* news. I don't know of any other commercial software product where the developers have been so keen/ involved/ encouraging with their user base providing deep feedback through their ticketing system. I think its a good colaboration. Its a strange thing to admit, but after a whole year of continual enhancements and bug fixes, I would be most happy to pay for an upgrade so IDI can continue to evolve this product.

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 18 Oct 13 1:55

Hert - can a Mantis filter be provided that filters by (PSU-V2 + feature + not-closed) or similar? Then everyone can *efficiently* view and contribute to the request list. Or can you provide some guidance as to how to filter in Mantis, or how features should be tagged/ summarized?

At present when I click Manage Filters it displays "work in progress"
When I click Advanced Filters it seems the same as simple filters.
I don't understand what "Use filters" is doing.
I tried adding a tag "PSU-V2" & filtering based on "feature PSU-V2" but got no results.
I added some feature suggestions, but didn't include PSU-V2 in the Summary, but it's a field you can't modify once submitted.

Hert

Post by Hert » 18 Oct 13 3:36

Andrew, I've created a saved filter called "Requests". Hope that helps
Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 18 Oct 13 4:12

Thanks Hert. That works.

For other users - click top of page link: View Issues, and select Requests from combobox next to the Use Filter button.

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 18 Oct 13 8:21

Hert,

What are the difference between "Asigned" and "Acknowledged"? There is also "Resolved".
Can you give us a brief overview of how to interpret the various status words for Enhancement Requests, thanks.

Regards, Harald

Hert

Post by Hert » 18 Oct 13 9:09

Assigned means that the ticket is assigned to a resource. All new tickets are automatically assigned by Mantis to me so all new tickets get the assigned status. Resolved means that the ticket is resolved (there's also a marker to how, eg fixed, duplicate, won't fix). Acknowledged I use for feature requests of which I have investigated the impact of such a request on the application, it's for my own workflow.

The only status that is relevant is the "resolved" status. Resolved means "ticket closed and won't be worked on again". In general that means that such a bug is fixed or that the feature request is implemented. Every other status means that the ticket is open.

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 18 Oct 13 11:20

I am happy to see that you already work on V2 :)
I also did wonder about the meaning of Acknowledged - now we know it...

Cheers,
Michael
PSUServer 4.x, PostgreSQL 10.x
My homepage http://www.michaelweidner.com
PSU Tips and Tricks http://www.michaelweidner.com/WP/psu/

andy@damroundup.com

Post by andy@damroundup.com » 18 Oct 13 14:11

Very generous Hert... looking forward to v2 and to see the differences and upgrades you have planned! - Andy.
Check out our detailed DAM reviews at http://www.DAMRoundup.com
Custom designed books for publication or personal enjoyment - http://www.JingotheCat.com

Hert

Post by Hert » 18 Oct 13 18:30

Some of you have been very productive in raising new tickets and requests in Mantis. That's good news!
Keep 'em coming...

Thank you

Hert

David Grundy

Post by David Grundy » 19 Oct 13 4:09

Hert, I would like to contribute a few ideas. They would be much more useful if presented carefully and in some detail, but so far I haven't had time to do that. (Over the last few months work has been a bit busy and I have not had time for the photographic hobby, hence my absence from the forum). Ideas are around stacking & versioning (with a fairly mature set of ideas, needing careful exposition), and label assignment (with more thinking still to do). Is mid-November too late? How about mid-December?

mantras

Post by mantras » 21 Oct 13 7:15

IDimager wrote:Some of you have been very productive in raising new tickets and requests in Mantis. That's good news!
Keep 'em coming...

Thank you

Hert
Hi Hert
I'm so excited about photo supreme v2 , i would love to be a beta tester

i'm sure it will be the best dam software ever made

may i ask you a question ?
is a good idea to suggest a new feature/request report in matis a new ticket called PSU-V2 Feature request or only request ?
Photo Supreme Evangelist ,windows 10 & macos Sierra & high sierra ,photosupreme 4, lightroom & photoshop cc

Hert

Post by Hert » 21 Oct 13 18:42

is a good idea to suggest a new feature/request report in matis a new ticket called PSU-V2 Feature request or only request ?
@mantras; Sure, feel free to enter requests how you want them, but please don't combine several requests in a single ticket. I have a hard time controlling such combined tickets. But it's going great and the tickets already logged are of high quality. I'm excited and full of energy to get started with some of the bigger requests.
i'm sure it will be the best dam software ever made
This made me think....as a matter of fact I found an important bug about 2 months ago and the software has been solid here since that fix. Then with PSU it's development pace, I think we are well on our way to get there. Still a way to go though :)
Is mid-November too late? How about mid-December?
@David; mid November is fine but by mid-December there won't be much room left to squeeze in big feature changes.

Hert

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 21 Oct 13 23:34

Morning,

I have an enhancement request which is a bit on the sideline. DOCUMENTATION
I will express my thinking here since this is probably not an Enhancement Request one adds to Mantis. But Hert, if you want it there I will add it there, no extra charge.

For short, there are many valuable functions in PSU today and what we hear, there will be more to come.
One of the few shortcomings of current PSU is (in my eyes) the sometimes lack of documentation. If I am wrong in this then I humbly appologise and will fade away in a green mist.
But there has been times when I just couldn't find what I wanted and in the end it was right there , under my nose, just a bit to the left when I was looking to the right.

Hert, my humble wish is that you add time for documentation in your development plan, don't see it as something that "will be done later on". Now, read me right, I don't say this is what you do, I just politely points out that Documentation is important. If you already have an activity in the plan called Documentation, then double the length and split into smaller pieces.

Also, this may be a part that can be delegated, inside or outside of you development team, to slaves on lower levels. My guess is that people with an interest in PSU (sometimes refered to as Customers or Paying Guests (;=)), would be interested in helping with this. By all means, finish of the coding and bits and bytes stuff and plan the Documentation as a duration after this is completed, as long as it is part of the plan and comes before the big bang date.

This is just my way of thinking

And while on this topic I may as well add another thought. That Hint system of your, inside PSU. I like it and can see quite a lot of potential for this.
Maybe it could be extended to cover a much more detailed level. Today it handles the overview but as soon as you get further down it offer little help, today. My suggestion is that you plan for a more thorough and deeper use of the Hint system. And this is probably an area where people can give a hand. Someone with a deep knowledge on Lables can write about that, someone with a good knowledge on editing could write about Adjust ... another about Slideshow .... and so on and so on ... You could have people write Hints about todays system which then later easily could be adopted to the next PSU version.

As said, this is just my way of thinking and it might be that tons of other users will tell me to be quiet ... whcih I refuse to be ... I will just fade away in a green mist

I haven't added this to Mantis since Hert correctly want bits and pieces in there, things to tick off, and this is as wide and deep and hight as you ever saw it.

Over and out ... now for others to add their two cents worth on this topic.

Regards, Harald

Hert

Post by Hert » 17 Nov 13 13:24

A big thank you for the many requests that were received.
It's impossible to grant all feature requests in a single release. Some of the requests will make it into the V2 release, others may make it in 2.x releases, other may make it in future main releases.

Though the V2 feature set is now fixed, feature requests are of course still more than welcome for future updates.

Thank you

Hert