How to show metadata while viewing a photo

HaraldE

How to show metadata while viewing a photo

Post by HaraldE » 01 Sep 13 19:24

Morning,

When I look at a thumb in a collection I see items like name of photo and date when it was taken.
But after I open the photo (for example using a double-click) I see nothing of this.

How do I show metadata about an image while viewing the image?

Regards, Harald

weidmic

Re: Metadata not shown when viewing a photo

Post by weidmic » 01 Sep 13 21:04

Harald,

you can see some metadata but not all.
Go to option - Show Info

Most important metadata is displayed in the "Dashboard"

Cheers,
Michael
PSUServer 4.x, PostgreSQL 10.x
My homepage http://www.michaelweidner.com
PSU Tips and Tricks http://www.michaelweidner.com/WP/psu/

Hert

Post by Hert » 01 Sep 13 21:24

Also with the photo opened you can have the Image Details Panel or Info Panel open at the same time.
full view.png
full view.png (480.54 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 01 Sep 13 23:43

Thanks to you both,
Go to option - Show Info
Most important metadata is displayed in the "Dashboard"
Michael, when I open "Options" I do not see the item you call "Show Info". Where do I find it?
And sorrry, but I do not know what this "Dashboard" is?
Also with the photo opened you can have the Image Details Panel or Info Panel open at the same time.
Hert, I can see a lot of information in INFO and DETAILS. But what I need to see is not easily shown.
> What I want to see is mixed with much that I do not want to see
> I have to click a number of times rather than have it allways displayed
> Some items are longer than space allowed and I have to scroll (for example Description) to see the rest, can not see it all at once
> The INFO and DETAILS panel take valuable space away from the photo on the screen
> As far as I see it, INFO and DETAILS are not available in fullscreen mode

I am used to see things like File name, Description, Date Taken and similar on a single row beneath the photo so do hope there is an easier way to see the required metadata.
Beneath the photo I very much would like a row similar to the one available at the "Custom Thumb Info" inside the VIEW panel

Regards, Harald

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 02 Sep 13 8:03

Harald,

in the full screen view, just hit the key: i
I call the "Dashboad" the orange part of the information window...
Beneath the photo I very much would like a row similar to the one available at the "Custom Thumb Info" inside the VIEW panel
That's not possible...

Cheers,
Michael

Hert

Post by Hert » 02 Sep 13 8:08

weidmic wrote:
That's not possible...
The Info panel also shows custom fields, and there you can define anything to be displayed.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 02 Sep 13 8:18

IDimager wrote:
weidmic wrote:
That's not possible...
The Info panel also shows custom fields, and there you can define anything to be displayed.
Right, forgot about that possibility completely!

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 02 Sep 13 8:29

To add those fields click on new input fields when the info panel is active and enter e.g.: dc:title

And here are a few more....

Code: Select all

dc:title
dc:creator
dc:subject
dc:description
photoshop:Source
photoshop:Headline
photoshop:City
photoshop:State
photoshop:Country
photoshop:ICCProfile
photoshop:TransmissionReference
photoshop:CaptionWriter
Iptc4xmpCore:Location
Iptc4xmpCore:Scene
Iptc4xmpCore:SubjectCode
tiff:Model
tiff:Make
tiff:Orientation
exif:ISOSpeedRatings
exif:FNumber
exif:ExposureTime
exif:FocalLength
exif:FocalLengthIn35mmFilm
exif:MeteringMode
exif:ExposureBiasValue
exif:Flash
exif:ColorSpace
exif:GPSLatitude
exif:GPSLongitude
exif:GPSAltitudeRef
exif:GPSAltitude
exif:GPSTimeStamp
aux:Lens

Hert

Post by Hert » 02 Sep 13 11:42

* or use any macro command as a custom field

* or use inline-scripts as custom fields

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 03 Sep 13 7:26

Morning,
in the full screen view, just hit the key: i
I call the "Dashboad" the orange part of the information window...
Thanks Michael, now I see it and believe this is same as INFO panel when not in Fullscreen.
Good to have it available with a single keystroke. Sad that it overlays and hides part of the photo
Also that top part is not easy to view with my eyes, small font and Black on Brown
That's not possible...
Not something that I would agree on. Nothing is not possible ... it just takes a bit longer to achive (;=))

I do appreciate the info from you both and it has given me a few things to consider. However I am still aiming for seeing some metadata on a single row beneath the photo.
It annoys me a lot not having basic items like Filename, Description and Date Taken visible all the time.

Regardless, there are a few items that I am still not sure about.

> In the DETAIL panel I see many compressed headings, like DESCRPTIONS and TECHNICAL. Some of them has a yellow triangle attached. What does this indicate?

> Also I see the option to "Save current details as profile ...". I tried this but could not see that anything had changed. Probably because I do not know how this feature works
Is this a way for me to specify exactly which metadata I am interested in seeing?

> I have looked through the whole Forum to gather some information about INFO and DETAILS panel, but found not a lot.
Is there a document with a detailed description on how these panels work?

> In DETAILS I see Profiles and also the menu on top right (with Advanced, Basic and IPTC). What are these three names and are they somehow related to Profiles?

Regards, Harald

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 04 Sep 13 8:28

HaraldE wrote: > In the DETAIL panel I see many compressed headings, like DESCRPTIONS and TECHNICAL. Some of them has a yellow triangle attached. What does this indicate?
It's a flag to indicate that that particular section contains metadata. If there's no yellow flag, then that section is empty of metadata.
> Also I see the option to "Save current details as profile ...". I tried this but could not see that anything had changed. Probably because I do not know how this feature works
Is this a way for me to specify exactly which metadata I am interested in seeing?

Nope. It's not to do with setting up a template with which to view the panel, but to set up a template with pre-defined values of metadata. That template can then be used to stamp a set of metadata values into your image.
> In DETAILS I see Profiles and also the menu on top right (with Advanced, Basic and IPTC). What are these three names and are they somehow related to Profiles?

Nope. They are the three pre-defined templates for the three configurations for viewing the Details panel. They also affect what you see in the Catalog pane when you choose viewing the Catalog by Image Details. Try it.
Geoff Coupe
--------------
Photo Supreme /Windows 10 Pro 64 bits + Windows Home Server 2011 = DAM

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 04 Sep 13 10:58

Thanks Geoff,

Good to know, this information I just could not find anywhere.

This thread started off asking about Metadata. I start to see there is no easy way out with the current functions inside PSU.
Therefor I raised an Enhancement Request in mantis "0001619: A userdefined row with metadata below the Image"

Regards, Harald

Hert

Re: How to show metadata while viewing a photo

Post by Hert » 04 Sep 13 19:38

I changed the title of this topic