How to transfer (just) star ratings from an old catalog

David Grundy

How to transfer (just) star ratings from an old catalog

Post by David Grundy » 10 Aug 13 15:03

[2nd go at posting this ... I thought I was posting earlier, but it turned out I was just typing into the void. Thanks, PCCW Broadband!]

I have accidentally overwritten the star ratings on about 1000 images with the single rating "3".

Tracing back through the backups I see that this happened about a month ago. In the meantime I have done quite a lot of other work which affects mostly these files. I don't want to re-do that work so I'm looking for a way to recover just the star ratings for these files from the old backup catalog.

Most of the files (but not all) are still in the same place on the disk, if that helps. And it's quite easy for me to find the affected files, both in the old catalog and the new; although I can't guarantee to find JUST the affected files in either case. Any relevant search might also return some files that weren't actually affected.

Here's what I thought of so far:
1. In PSu switch to a copy of the old catalog.
2. Find all the affected files and show them in the CV.
3. Take screenshots to show what the ratings looked like at the time of the old catalog.
4. Switch PSu back to my current working catalog.
5. Find all the affected files.
6. Run through the list of files in the CV and assign the correct ratings to each file individually.

I don't mind doing this, and I think at most it's a few hours' work

Still, if someone happens to think of a less manual way (and hence less prone to careless errors in assigning ratings) I'd be interested to know.

... David

Mike Buckley

Re: How to transfer (just) star ratings from an old catalog

Post by Mike Buckley » 10 Aug 13 15:53

Why not simply identify the errant files and assign a new rating to them? It doesn't matter whether the rating you assign today is the rating that you assigned in the past; just the opposite, you would probably want the rating to indicate your current thoughts about the image, not previous thoughts. Doing so should take a lot less time than the method that you're otherwise considering.

David Grundy

Re: How to transfer (just) star ratings from an old catalog

Post by David Grundy » 10 Aug 13 16:18

Thanks Mike. It's a good thought but unfortunately in this case I think it's actually more work. Two reasons:

1. In the past I had very inconsistent meanings for a given star rating at different times. 3 stars in 2012 meant something quite different from 3 stars in 2007. (In the earliest days, there was basically 0 stars vs >0 stars.) So far I have been waiting (for years!) for the day when everything in my system is stable, and I have a serious block of time available, before doing the translation job from my various older rating systems to the current system. In general, to assign the rating to each one I would have to have a look at the ratings of other images taken on the same day, and see what system I was using at the time. For a few images I would consider it, but it has to be harder than just copying the ratings even if I do that by hand.

2. Sometimes there are 2 or 3 or 20 shots of the same thing. (Sometimes even more ...) To assign the rating to a single file from the group, I would need to reconsider all the other similar shots for context. That's a bit of a chore.

... David