question about display color management

mantras

question about display color management

Post by mantras » 26 Jul 13 5:53

Hi

may i ask a question about display color management?

i have lots of photos with different color profiles adobe rgb ,prophoto , colormatch and irgb

in the input and output i set Adobe rgb

does it mean photo supreme will render in preview and full preview all my photos in adobe rgb color space , for example my photos with prophoto will displayed - render in adobe rgb?

thanks
Photo Supreme Evangelist ,windows macos ,photosupreme 5, capture one 12 , photoshop

Hert

Re: question about display color management

Post by Hert » 26 Jul 13 10:05

The setting for "Input profile" is only used when no color profile is found for your image. Keep that at the default sRGB profile. As you say that you shoot in aRGB, the aRGB profile will be used as the input profile for those images.

Your output profile is the profile how your image will be displayed on the output device (your monitor). If you're using a color managed workflow then select your monitor color profile here. If you don't have a monitor profile then set this to sRGB which is the best second alternative.

In short; you don't have to change anything, except when you're using a color managed workflow, then make sure that you set the calibrated Monitor profile as your output profile.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

mantras

Post by mantras » 26 Jul 13 10:10

IDimager wrote:The setting for "Input profile" is only used when no color profile is found for your image. Keep that at the default sRGB profile. As you say that you shoot in aRGB, the aRGB profile will be used as the input profile for those images.

Your output profile is the profile how your image will be displayed on the output device (your monitor). If you're using a color managed workflow then select your monitor color profile here. If you don't have a monitor profile then set this to sRGB which is the best second alternative.

In short; you don't have to change anything, except when you're using a color managed workflow, then make sure that you set the calibrated Monitor profile as your output profile.
Thanks Hert
yes i have 2 calibrate monitors
but with display color manegement off , adobe rgb or prophoto looks different , just like w7 image viewer program

but with display color on the photo look like when i open in photoshop

thanks
Photo Supreme Evangelist ,windows macos ,photosupreme 5, capture one 12 , photoshop

Hert

Post by Hert » 26 Jul 13 10:24

mantras wrote:but with display color manegement off , adobe rgb or prophoto looks different , just like w7 image viewer program
Of course they look different. That's why you should use Color Management and use the correct Monitor profile as the Output profile.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

mantras

Post by mantras » 26 Jul 13 10:33

IDimager wrote:
mantras wrote:but with display color manegement off , adobe rgb or prophoto looks different , just like w7 image viewer program

Of course they look different. That's why you should use Color Management and use the correct Monitor profile as the Output profile.

Hert
yes but many programs can not read the color profiles or like irfanview should be enabled in the preferences

Hert

Post by Hert » 26 Jul 13 12:09

yes but many programs can not read the color profiles or like irfanview should be enabled in the preferences
Sure, some tools out there can read color profiles, and some can't. I'm not sure what that has to do with Photo Supreme.

mantras

Post by mantras » 26 Jul 13 15:31

IDimager wrote:
Sure, some tools out there can read color profiles, and some can't. I'm not sure what that has to do with Photo Supreme.
outside the monitor profile, to make only 1 example

if i setup imput & output rgb ,and watch some photos with adobe rgb color profile(more wide then irgb) in the preview and full preview photo supreme does a sort of convert/render on the fly like (photoshop "convert to profile") , right?

Hert

Post by Hert » 26 Jul 13 16:04

if i setup imput & output rgb ,and watch some photos with adobe rgb color profile(more wide then irgb) in the preview and full preview photo supreme does a sort of convert/render on the fly like (photoshop "convert to profile") , right?
Yes, any color management supporting tool will convert from the source color space to the display color space (output profile). That is what Color Management is all about: converting between color spaces...
If you have a color calibrated monitor then you're using that in PhotoSupreme, in Photoshop, and all of your other Color Managed software. If you don't then there's no use for color management. Also, if Color Management is important for you then stop using every single tool that doesn't support Color Management.

mantras

Post by mantras » 27 Jul 13 5:49

IDimager wrote:
Yes, any color management supporting tool will convert from the source color space to the display color space (output profile). That is what Color Management is all about: converting between color spaces...
If you have a color calibrated monitor then you're using that in PhotoSupreme, in Photoshop, and all of your other Color Managed software. If you don't then there's no use for color management. Also, if Color Management is important for you then stop using every single tool that doesn't support Color Management.
thanks a lot Hert
now it's all clear!!!