arranging images in a portfolio, second attempt

andrew.heard

arranging images in a portfolio, second attempt

Post by andrew.heard » 10 Jul 13 3:42

A few days ago I asked whether anyone had suggestions for alternatives to arranging images in a portfolio - http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php ... 24#p102624. I have a presentation to give shortly, I have a large portfolio, and I need to put the images into a better sequence. I'm after a time-efficient solution now, not if and when the feature is ever implemented in PSu.

I wasn't rude, abided by the forum rules, and asked the question in a polite considered manner. It did cover old ground because I had previously asked the question but as part of a somewhat unrelated topic, but I didn't get any replies at the time, so thought a specific new topic may catch people's eye. If solutions have already been posted then I was unable to find any.

My thought was to export to a folder then manually rename the files 00.jpg, 01.jpg to NN.jpg. Very tedious but don't have any other ideas, and no one else was given the opportunity to comment because the topic is now locked.

Why has the forum owner found it necessary to lock the topic?

Hert

Re: arranging images in a portfolio, second attempt

Post by Hert » 10 Jul 13 6:08

andrew.heard wrote:Why has the forum owner found it necessary to lock the topic?
There was nothing wrong with your topic writing. It was a repeat of something already thoroughly discussed and which also got registered in Mantis.

BTW; the forum is ruled very strict in order to improve the quality of the forum. And hopefully one day the forum can be made available again to the public. Until then the forum is for just the very few who know about it.
My thought was to export to a folder then manually rename the files 00.jpg, 01.jpg to NN.jpg. Very tedious but don't have any other ideas, and no one else was given the opportunity to comment because the topic is now locked.
Hoping others can contribute to this.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 10 Jul 13 12:13

IDimager wrote: Hoping others can contribute to this.
Consider using Lightroom to rearrange the order of the photos and then to automatically create renamed versions for use in your show. I have never done it using Lightroom but I recently asked if it could be done. I got such specific answers about how to do it that I'm confident that it can be done.

If I remember correctly, you licensed IDimager version 5. Import the photos in question into that catalog, place them in a Portfolio, rearrange them, and automatically create renamed versions.

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 10 Jul 13 14:00

There are many free slide show tools available. Picasa is free and makes it extremely easy to create slideshows. Picasa will allow you to rearrange photos and view them as a slide show. All you need to do is find a convenient way to isolate the images you want from within Picasa. You could create a unique label in PSU and apply it to all of the images you want in your slide show and then search on that label from within Picasa. Once you have all of those images selected in Picasa you simply right-click on any of them and select add to album and then create a new album. Now you have those images saved in an album. Then just navigate to that album (which might happen automatically) and you can easily rearrange them by dragging and dropping. Once you have them in the order you want, there are several ways to view them as a slide show. The easiest is to click on the button with the little green arrow at the top of the album window.

The only draw back is that if you don't already have Picasa installed, it will need to go through its import process to find and index your images. You can control this to some extent but if you have a lot of images and the ones you want in your slide show are scattered across multiple folders then this could take some time.

Like I said, there are many solutions available, but I happen to have Picasa installed so I was able to try this quickly and give you some details for how to do it.

Sorry for using PSU's forum to promote other products but this is serves as a reminder to the PSU developers of how the lack of certain common functionality encourages users to seek solutions through other programs and potentially migrate away from PSU.
Tom Stoddard

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 11 Jul 13 0:13

Thanks (as always) Mike and Tom for your very considered replies. I do own IDi but am not inclined to install it simply for this task(s); for the same/ similar reason I don't own Lightroom. However I do use Picasa so will experiment there. I guess the "trick" is that once I have decided on the sequence in the cloud/ online I still need to download those files again for the offline presentation and I suspect will loose that sequencing meta data. It sounds like Picasa can arrange files in an offline mode, I've only used it via the web. I was using Irfanview for the presentation(s) as I have a mix of JPG and AVI to show.

Hmm (thinking 5 minutes after writing 1st paragraph), maybe an import back into IDi still is the better option.
It was a repeat of something already thoroughly discussed and which also got registered in Mantis.
- maybe I missed some past discussion but I don't recall any real suggestions/ workaround at the time, not the suggestions made by Tom and Mike here for example, so I thought locking the topic was a bit heavy handed. Not to worry. Thanks all.

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 11 Jul 13 0:34

If you wanted to stay inside PSU, you could "mark" them in the order you wanted by using one of the fields (say Headline). Start with 001 and then 002 and so on and then export them using Share, creating a file name based on the Headline field. You could use Share every 10-20 images to see if the order is what you think it is.
Photo Supreme 4.3.4.2141 (64 bits) (Windows)

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 11 Jul 13 5:52

sanphotgn wrote: You could use Share every 10-20 images to see if the order is what you think it is.
That limitation of not being able to see the images displayed in the changed order until new versions are created and named would be unacceptable to me.

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 12 Jul 13 1:31

sanphotgn wrote:If you wanted to stay inside PSU, you could "mark" them in the order you wanted by using one of the fields (say Headline). Start with 001 and then 002 and so on and then export them using Share, creating a file name based on the Headline field. You could use Share every 10-20 images to see if the order is what you think it is.
clever idea sanphotgn although nothing beats being able to drag thumbnails around until it tells the story you want