How to get the slideshow I want?

David Grundy

How to get the slideshow I want?

Post by David Grundy » 23 Jun 13 7:14

I note here and elsewhere that slideshow setting are not customisable. The PSu slideshow as configured is very far from my preference. So how do I run a slideshow this evening for my friends to show my favourite pictures from my trip?
  • I want to have control of the advance of the pictures, so we can spend as much or little time as we want in the conversation coming from each picture.
  • I don't want transitions, just instant change from one picture to the next. (Anyway the transition in PSu stutters on my system, and it doesn't look good.)
  • I want full screen, just the picture, with no other information shown.
I can't figure out how to do this, other than export all the images I want into a separate directory and run it in another program.

Can anyone suggest how to do this within Photo Supreme? I presume I am missing something obvious.

... David

Hert

Re: How to get the slideshow I want?

Post by Hert » 23 Jun 13 8:32

David Grundy wrote:
  • I want to have control of the advance of the pictures, so we can spend as much or little time as we want in the conversation coming from each picture.
  • I don't want transitions, just instant change from one picture to the next. (Anyway the transition in PSu stutters on my system, and it doesn't look good.)
  • I want full screen, just the picture, with no other information shown.
You can use left and right cursor keys tot advance the slideshow
Transitions are not customizable
Slideshow is full screen
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

David Grundy

Post by David Grundy » 23 Jun 13 9:04

Thanks Hert.

While I know that using the cursor keys lets me speed up the pace of the slideshow, my preference is in the other direction: to slow down the pace, and in fact to stop the show from advancing automatically to the next slide after 5 seconds (or any other time interval). Even if I use the left and right cursor keys, afterwards it's still only 5 seconds until the next auto-advance. The auto-advance is a big distraction in the conversation.

On a positive note, using the cursor keys will advance to the next image without transition effects, which is what I want.

So if I can turn off the auto-advance and just use the arrow keys, then I'm happy. Is there a setting for that, or perhaps a tweak somewhere ... ?

Thanks
... David

David Grundy

Post by David Grundy » 23 Jun 13 9:46

In the meantime the workaround is not too bad ... export the relevant images appropriately resized to a single directory, and use Windows Photo Viewer. F11 gets a full-screen slideshow mode which can easily be paused.

This is fine for planned slideshow sessions, probably would be less good for a spontaneous show.

... David

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 23 Jun 13 14:48

David,

If you're willing to control the slide show manually, all you need to do is to get all of the images into one group by using a portfolio or the image bucket or through the using of labels or even some sort of filtering. Once you have the set of images you want to include in the slide show just double click on the first image, go to full screen, and then control the advancing with the arrow keys. You can get rid of the info at the bottom of the screen by clicking the little push pin icon and there will be no info displayed except for the file name which only displays momentarily and then disappears. Another bonus to this method is that if you set the option to display full size images before going into full screen, you will also have the ability to zoom in and out on photos as they're displayed.
Tom Stoddard

David Grundy

Post by David Grundy » 23 Jun 13 17:05

Thanks Tom

This works ... mostly.

Out of interest, here's what happens when I follow this approach.

1. My previews are rendered at 800x800, so going to full screen does not produce a picture that fills the screen. (Previews are kept relatively small to save space as the local drive is small on the notebook I'm using for this work, and I have nearly 100,000 images in the database.) This means I have to load the full size image.

2. It then takes around one full second to render each image after I press the right or left cursor key. I keep wondering whether the keypress worked because nothing has happened after one second! That delay is not a big deal for a slideshow, but I remember noting previously that I couldn't use this method for initial selection of keepers etc because that amount of delay would drive me crazy over the time needed for that process.

BTW I previously hadn't paid any attention to that pin - I didn't register it as a pin and I had no idea what it is for. Thanks!

... David

David Grundy

Post by David Grundy » 25 Jun 13 18:31

Thanks Hert for addressing this question in Build 1.8.2.136.
As yet I think there's some problem:
- If I press P, thereafter new images usually appear behind the one which was showing when I pressed P. However, I can't quite see the pattern here - once (I think) the new image appeared over the top of the old, leaving the edges of the old one showing. I lost track of the variations in what was happening, but in general, it seems after pressing P that thereafter each image is somehow not cleared before showing the next one.
- One time after I pressed P twice, the cursor keys thereafter seemed to do nothing.

The instant transition (no fade) is working as hoped. Hope the rest is easy to address too!
... David

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 25 Jun 13 23:15

Does anyone have any suggestions for rearranging the order of their images in a slideshow/ portfolio like IDimager allows? As discussed previously, dragging images around in a portfolio creates version sets rather than changing the order. My only though is to export the portfolio to a Windows folder then manually rename the files so they "sort" in the desired order; how tedious can that be ;-( I could upload into Picasa and rearrange online but the slideshow needs to run from Irfanview or similar photo viewer offline. I'm really hoping the next major release of PSu addresses this and many other productivity issues.