can i select more than 1 field together ?

mantras

Post by mantras » 07 Jun 13 17:22

Hi

i did search a lot
but i did not find an answer

for example pictures taken in France and Italy
i got 300 photos taken in france and many in italy
i tried to select both i did click on france , ctrl + italy

or for example friends i want to see photos about jane , mike and julie

how can i do it?
i'm under windows 7
thanks
Photo Supreme Evangelist ,windows macos ,photosupreme 5, capture one 12 , photoshop

weidmic

Re: can i select more than 1 field together ?

Post by weidmic » 07 Jun 13 18:07

Mantras,

can you tell us more about the search you want to do?
Are you talking about Catalog labels, then the answer is NO.

Have you tried the very powerful and easy to use dynamic search?

Michael
PSUServer 5.x, PostgreSQL 10.x
My homepage http://www.michaelweidner.com
PSU Tips and Tricks http://www.michaelweidner.com/WP/psu/

Hert

Post by Hert » 08 Jun 13 0:06

In the Search bar in the application's main toolbar type in:

Code: Select all

france+italy
or

Code: Select all

jane+mike+julie
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 08 Jun 13 14:35

IDimager wrote:In the Search bar in the application's main toolbar type in:

france+italy
You could also enclose the search terms in quotation marks if you want precise results. Otherwise, france, without the quotes, would also return any images containing frances, if you happened to have any.

As Michael suggested, dynamic search is also a great way to get these results if you are searching for items by label. It will get you exactly what you are looking for. The search bar in the application's main toolbar is more of a global search and will look for your search terms in various metadata fields, not just the in the labels or keywords. Both features are very powerful and offer you many ways to find the images you want to find.

The dynamic search feature is somewhat hidden and may not appear obvious to you. It can be accessed by clicking on the two overlapping circles just to the right of the folders tab. You can also just drag an object to that button and drop it on there to open the dynamic search panel. This might not be quite as easy as selecting multiple labels but it allows for much more power and flexibility because you can add various items to the dynamic search panel from various sub categories of your catalog. For example, you can add a label to the dynamic search panel and then switch to category by details and add a detail such as a specific lens. You can also specify whether you want an "AND" or "OR" join to determine the resulting set and then create multiple groups within the dynamic search panel. For example, I can select all images with the labels "Tom" or "Marie" and "Underwater" by following these steps:

1. drag my Tom and then Marie labels into the dynamic search panel
2. Switch the button at the bottom of the panel from "AND joins" to "OR joins"
3. Select "group current content" from the menu in the dynamic search panel (the menu is at the top right of the dynamic search panel)
4. Drag my Underwater label into the dynamic search panel
5. Switch the button back to "AND joins"
6. Click on the arrow button to run the search

There are a multitude of ways to get the results you want. You could also explore using Favorites and combining those in your search sets. The best way to learn is to experiment. You'll be amazed at how much you can do.
Tom Stoddard

Preston B

Post by Preston B » 08 Jun 13 15:22

Tom,

Thanks for your great post!

It would be a great topic to place in the "Tips for working with Photo Supreme" forum for everyone to see.

--P
Preston Birdwell
Columbia, CA

Photo Supreme on Puget Systems Obsidian: Win 10-64 bit Intel i5Quad Core 3.3Ghz 32GB RAM, and Puget Systems Traverse Laptop. Chamonix 4x5 and Nikon D-7100.

Please visit my web site at www.gildedmoon.com

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 08 Jun 13 15:49

Adding one little short cut to Tom's excellent tutorial on dynamic search, of you prefer you can select labels or whatever and add them to the dynamic search panel by pressing the space bar.
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

mantras

Post by mantras » 08 Jun 13 16:16

tstoddard wrote:
IDimager wrote:In the Search bar in the application's main toolbar type in:

france+italy
You could also enclose the search terms in quotation marks if you want precise results. Otherwise, france, without the quotes, would also return any images containing frances, if you happened to have any.

As Michael suggested, dynamic search is also a great way to get these results if you are searching for items by label. It will get you exactly what you are looking for. The search bar in the application's main toolbar is more of a global search and will look for your search terms in various metadata fields, not just the in the labels or keywords. Both features are very powerful and offer you many ways to find the images you want to find.

The dynamic search feature is somewhat hidden and may not appear obvious to you. It can be accessed by clicking on the two overlapping circles just to the right of the folders tab. You can also just drag an object to that button and drop it on there to open the dynamic search panel. This might not be quite as easy as selecting multiple labels but it allows for much more power and flexibility because you can add various items to the dynamic search panel from various sub categories of your catalog. For example, you can add a label to the dynamic search panel and then switch to category by details and add a detail such as a specific lens. You can also specify whether you want an "AND" or "OR" join to determine the resulting set and then create multiple groups within the dynamic search panel. For example, I can select all images with the labels "Tom" or "Marie" and "Underwater" by following these steps:

1. drag my Tom and then Marie labels into the dynamic search panel
2. Switch the button at the bottom of the panel from "AND joins" to "OR joins"
3. Select "group current content" from the menu in the dynamic search panel (the menu is at the top right of the dynamic search panel)
4. Drag my Underwater label into the dynamic search panel
5. Switch the button back to "AND joins"
6. Click on the arrow button to run the search

There are a multitude of ways to get the results you want. You could also explore using Favorites and combining those in your search sets. The best way to learn is to experiment. You'll be amazed at how much you can do.
Hi Tom

i'm really very grateful !
thanks for the exhaustive tutorial!
now i can do what i wanted thanks to you
have a great day or capture :)
greetings

ps.i printed your answer
Photo Supreme Evangelist ,windows macos ,photosupreme 5, capture one 12 , photoshop