is there a lossless image rotation?

Post by mantras » 28 May 13 7:51

Hi
is there a lossless image rotation ?

because on the thumb i can see rotate left ,rotate right

but the original version looks after several rotation loss quality

built 1.8.1.131
thanks
Photo Supreme Evangelist ,windows macos ,photosupreme 5, capture one 12 , photoshop

Hert

Re: is there a lossless image rotation?

Post by Hert » 28 May 13 10:13

The rotation icons on the thumbnail are intended to rotate the image on the file system, which for lossy formats is of course lossy.

Rotation in the editor is lossless
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

dpaine

Post by dpaine » 29 May 13 21:49

Okay, this concerns me.

Based on the previous two messages, I am understanding that in thumbnail view when I type the "[" or "]" keys the original, full-sized image in the file system may be altered.

Does this mean that If the file type is
- jpeg, then the original file is rotated in a lossy manner?
- raw, then the original file is rotated in a non-lossy manner (but still altered from the original)?
- tiff, then the original file is rotated in a non-lossy manner (but still altered from the original)?

My assumption had been that Photo Supreme would protect the integrity of the original files and certainly not alter the image data in my raw files.

Would someone please provide more information about how this works.

- David P

Hert

Post by Hert » 29 May 13 22:57

When rotating at the thumbs then the file is re saved for save able formats.

Jpeg - rotation will save the image by rotating the pixels. Saving a jpeg means recompression.
Raw - raw formats are not saveable, the rotation will be written in the metadata. Image data in Raw files can't be altered...simply because there is no "image data" ;)
Tiff - rotation will save the image by rotating the pixels. Saving a tiff is lossless

Tip; use a recipe if you don't want to rotate on file system. Or make your jpegs read only.

One typically only rotates an image once, and the jpegs are saved with high quality when rotated
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

dpaine

Post by dpaine » 30 May 13 0:30

Thank you, that is a very clear explanation.

- David P

mantras

Post by mantras » 03 Jun 13 8:59

IDimager wrote:The rotation icons on the thumbnail are intended to rotate the image on the file system, which for lossy formats is of course lossy.

Rotation in the editor is lossless
hi Hert

i think it should be the opposite to be more comfortable
i mean the the first think i do it's work with the thumbs , ratings , color label and so on and rotate
would be better for many users have lossless rotation for the thumbs and a lossy for the editor
it's more logical

thanks
Photo Supreme Evangelist ,windows macos ,photosupreme 5, capture one 12 , photoshop

Hert

Post by Hert » 03 Jun 13 9:07

I disagree. The majority of people expect the photo on the file system to rotate when they click the rotate buttons.