load full size always disabled

mantras

load full size always disabled

Post by mantras » 27 May 13 15:55

hi

i wanted to run photo supreme on a clean install of windows 7

i wanted to run the trial version

and the feature preview ->option -> load full size images is always OFF

is there a way to lock/read only the option concerning " load full size images " and keep always ON

i know there were many other users with this bug

thanks
Photo Supreme Evangelist ,windows macos ,photosupreme 5, capture one 12 , photoshop

Hert

Re: load full size always disabled

Post by Hert » 27 May 13 16:35

i know there were many other users with this bug
That's not a "bug", but intended behavior.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

mantras

Post by mantras » 27 May 13 16:58

but if i enable it and shut down photo supreme , when i restart it it's return off :(
Photo Supreme Evangelist ,windows macos ,photosupreme 5, capture one 12 , photoshop

Hert

Post by Hert » 27 May 13 17:08

mantras wrote:but if i enable it and shut down photo supreme , when i restart it it's return off :(
That is correct. It's supposed to be off after a restart.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

mantras

Post by mantras » 27 May 13 17:11

IDimager wrote:
mantras wrote:but if i enable it and shut down photo supreme , when i restart it it's return off :(
That is correct. It's supposed to be off after a restart.
nice , i would like to load always the full view file 22mp pixel , i have always to turn ON , sometime it's boring

Hert

Post by Hert » 27 May 13 17:14

Ask yourself if you really always need the full 22mpx loaded... The few times that you do, you can enable the option

Preston B

Post by Preston B » 27 May 13 17:49

I am glad load full size images is 'off' by default. Most of my images approach 90Mpx and that would be a real hit to available RAM.

When I want the full size image, I simply open it Photo Shop. Note that I do all my editing in CS6, so I have no real need to load the full size image in PSu.

--P
Preston Birdwell
Columbia, CA

Photo Supreme on Puget Systems Obsidian: Win 10-64 bit Intel i5Quad Core 3.3Ghz 32GB RAM, and Puget Systems Traverse Laptop. Chamonix 4x5 and Nikon D-7100.

Please visit my web site at www.gildedmoon.com

Ruhell

Post by Ruhell » 28 May 13 9:49

Well we are all different I guess...
I'd love to have a tick box to make full size MY default. The first thing I do each time I open PSU is to open the picture, then select "load full size image" - and Yes that does slow down culling pictures but I get to see the full "quality" of the picture.

While we're at it.
When I installed PSU the first time it's DB ate all my existing SSD C: diskspace and there were too little space available on it and the installation/Idi v5 conversion stalled. I then selected a quite small thumb size and it went fine, later I got a bigger disk, increased the thumb size, but that only affects the later imports.
How can I increase the thumb size on previously created thumbs??

Rune

Hert

Post by Hert » 28 May 13 10:05

By rebuilding the previews/thumbnails for these images. Use Ctrl+Alt+T on a selection of thumbnails

mphillips

Post by mphillips » 28 May 13 10:32

Hi Hert
Ask yourself if you really always need the full 22mpx loaded... The few times that you do, you can enable the option
Maybe I am doing something incorrect in my workflow and you can advise me BUT I find that in order to check the "sharpness" of my images I often need to view them at 100%.

With Supreme only storing such "small" Previews (its all relative I suppose :-) but with a D800 and 27 inch monitor the full size previews look minute ) when I click to view at 100% I am seeing the preview at 100% not the original image at 100%. (Is this documented in the help manual - I couldn't find it when I looked?)

So at present in order to critically rate and cull my images I am having to switch on Load Full Size every invocation and taking the performance hit when looking through images.

I'm not sure how ViewNX does it - but the displaying of the full size embedded jpg is lighting fast - its just such a pity the PSU doesn't pick up the rating when I rate an image in ViewNX (even after Reading Metadata from the File) - I guess because ViewNX doesn't write to the XMP - typical Nikon :-(

Anyway does anyone have any advice on how I can speed up and optimise my workflow ?

Thanks

MikeP
Mike Phillips
http://www.mikeandmorag.co.za
D800, CNX2, Supreme

mantras

Post by mantras » 28 May 13 10:59

IDimager wrote:
By rebuilding the previews/thumbnails for these images. Use Ctrl+Alt+T on a selection of thumbnails
it would be nice to have to a pinned topic , with other tips ..
greetings

Hert

Post by Hert » 28 May 13 11:15

There is a pinnend topic with tips, and there is a pinnend topic with keyboard shortcuts. You obviously didn't read them so that proves that pinned topics have little to no effect 8)

mantras

Post by mantras » 28 May 13 11:36

IDimager wrote:There is a pinnend topic with tips, and there is a pinnend topic with keyboard shortcuts. You obviously didn't read them so that proves that pinned topics have little to no effect
yes i found
sorry i 'm not used to browse forums
but i got it
i will print it
thanks!

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 28 May 13 12:49

mphillips wrote:when I click to view at 100% I am seeing the preview at 100% not the original image at 100%. (Is this documented in the help manual - I couldn't find it when I looked?)
This detail is intuitive to anyone who is an experienced DAM user because the user would know whether the full-size image or the smaller preview is being viewed. However, for the non-experienced DAM user, it would be especially helpful if the documentation explains it. (I have no idea if it does.)
So at present in order to critically rate and cull my images I am having to switch on Load Full Size every invocation and taking the performance hit when looking through images...Anyway does anyone have any advice on how I can speed up and optimise my workflow ?
Use a camera that saves smaller files. :mrgreen: Seriously, you could shoot RAW+JPEG. Alternatively, you could shoot only RAW files and then use Supreme to create JPEGs from your RAW files. When shooting RAW+JPEG, you could version them when you import them into your catalog. When using Supreme to create your JEPGs, you could version them as part of that process. Whatever method you choose to produce the versioned JPEGs, you could view them when culling, rating and examining your photos at 100%.

mphillips

Post by mphillips » 28 May 13 13:45

Hi Mike
Use a camera that saves smaller files
Ha Ha - Once you have used a D800 then ......

I tried your idea (Using CNX2) to Batch the JPG's (Maximum Quality) into the same directory, same name. (File Size Drops from 43Mmb to 20mb)

I imported them as versions into PSU

Then Started to rate them in Full Screen View - with Load Full Size Images switched on (if I just use the built in preview the PSU creates I am back to square one) remember my images are 7360X4912 and the Preview is 1680 X 1120 - so already its 5% of the pixels or 25% of the dimensions - so the preview is seriously compromised - especially if you try and Zoom in beyond the 100% to 200 or 300% - which makes sense - its like trying to using digital zoom)

Anyway I started to rate them and I think - no scientific basis - just my feeling - is that the Full Size Jpgs' load almost at the same rate as using NEF's.

Anyway I don't think, from this quick little experiment, that there is enough of a performance advantage compared to the extra "overhead" of either Shooting Raw+JPG (L) - extra memory cards or the time taken (and disk space used) to convert them to JPG's and then version them.

Also remember that the Ratings DON'T cascade from the JPG to the NEF - as far as I can see - so there would need to be some workflow adjustments / script invoked to make the ratings and colour labels that have assigned to the JPG go onto the NEF. Unless maybe I am missing a critical component here - like Cascade Ratings and Colours from JPG to NEF or a setup option ?

Thanks for the input though - it did make me think - and try some other options.

Regards

MikeP
Mike Phillips
http://www.mikeandmorag.co.za
D800, CNX2, Supreme