External HDDs and File Management

bruhsam

External HDDs and File Management

Post by bruhsam » 22 Mar 13 14:50

In the Photo Supreme Tips (http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=21760) having to deal with file/folder management there is this statement:

"Note: Any time you store media on external media, note down its unique id # (see next step for where that is found) and keep a record of it (such as in an external media spreadsheet)."

I'd appreciate an explanation about why this is important. Yes, I realize that external HDDs can and often do get assigned new drive letters, but it's easy enough to switch those back so that paths are correct again.

For context, I'm contemplating the switch from IDI to Photo Supreme but given the particulars of my file management at home, moving folders around may be a significant enough source of productivity friction that I won't do it until I can manage folder moves from within PS natively (contemplating "relocating" every folder I move is giving me the willies).

Hert

Re: External HDDs and File Management

Post by Hert » 22 Mar 13 20:55

I'm not aware of that tip, and in fact I don't see any use for writing down drive serial numbers either.

Drive serial numbers are not drive letters but the unique serial number for that drive. This number will normally never change. The only situation that I know of where it does change is in certain network systems that manager virtual drives and these virtual drives can then report new serials after a server reboot. Not something you'd typically use at home (or even at work)
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 24 Mar 13 19:12

Hert, that tip that is referred to is now outdated (the quoted text is no longer accurate). If you don't see any use for writing down drive serial numbers, then perhaps that tip should be amended or removed.

These sort of outdated/invalid tips may possibly be doing more harm than good.
Geoff Coupe
--------------
Photo Supreme /Windows 10 Pro 64 bits + Windows Home Server 2011 = DAM

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 24 Mar 13 19:53

gcoupe wrote: ...then perhaps that tip should be amended or removed.
Especially considering that the "tip" came from someone with 2 weeks forum membership and a total of 4 posts. Well informed, expert user, or ?????
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

Hert

Post by Hert » 25 Mar 13 11:52

Aahaaa, I thought the topic starter was talking about a tip in the application but its a tip on the forum.

Tips that a visitor writes in the forum are tips from that visitor to other visitors and I'm not the one to judge if that tip is relevant or not. I don't have to agree with tips that others write (unless its false info)
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system