version indicator in PSU

fbungarz

version indicator in PSU

Post by fbungarz » 12 Feb 13 3:06

Hi Hert,
It took me very long to finally detect that versioned images in PSU have a tiny tab at their top right. This is so inconspicuous that it is virtually impossible to see quickly which images in a folder are versioned and which aren't. Any chance to re-enable the version indicator in PSU?
Thanks,
Frank

Hert

Re: version indicator in PSU

Post by Hert » 12 Feb 13 6:41

First of all, stop expecting PSU to be identical to IDI.

That is how versions are displayed in PSU and you'll quickly be able to identify them. If you need some version indication then you can use a custom thumb line for this.
Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 12 Feb 13 6:50

First of all, stop expecting PSU to be identical to IDI.
No need to be antagonistic:
You said you don't recommend using IDI and PSU side and asked why I wanted to use IDI along PSU and what particular functionality I was missing.
So, that is what I am doing. I am trying to see if using "PSU only" is an option. I am not expecting PSU to be the same, but I am trying to find ways how to use it.
If you need some version indication then you can use a custom thumb line for this.
Fine, and how would I do that?

Framl

Hert

Post by Hert » 12 Feb 13 7:05

fbungarz wrote:
If you need some version indication then you can use a custom thumb line for this.
Fine, and how would I do that?
Try this as a custom line; for example your first custom thumb line:

Code: Select all

<body bgcolor="%code
if Catalog.ImageIsVersion(ImageItem) then
  result := '#00FF00'
else if Catalog.ImageHasVersions(ImageItem) then
  result := '#FFFF00'
else
  result := '#000000';
%/code">
<font color="#000000">
add more info here?
</font>
</body>
Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 12 Feb 13 7:25

Ah, yes, that does the job nicely.
Thanks,
Frank

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 18 Feb 13 19:55

Is it possible to modify this script that the different versions get a different color bar?
is it possible to change the icons for custom versions? The round circle with a cross to me looks like a "delete" sign and it rather confusing that my custom versions "digital negative", "original", "B&W print" all have the same icon.
This way it is very difficult to know which placeholder a version is assigned to..
Thanks?
Frank

Hert

Post by Hert » 18 Feb 13 21:44

Frank,

The colors are at the top of the script, starting with a hash tag (eg #00FF00). These are HTML colors.

http://html-color-codes.info/

Hert

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 18 Feb 13 21:59

Yes, I am familiar with those, but if I understand that code correctly it is just something like:
If different versions are present, then show a yellow bar for the main version and a green bar for all others...
I was wondering, is it possible to have:
If different versions are present, then show a yellow bar for the main version, a green bar for the digital negative version, a blue bar for the... version... etc.

Hert

Post by Hert » 18 Feb 13 22:44

A color per placeholder? You could do that... but what if you have multiple placeholders for one version? Also, you'd have to be a more advanced scripter to achieve that. Placeholder are configurable by the user so you'd have to query those from the database, then check the assigned placeholder for the image and look it up in all placeholder to be able to assign the color. This will also be slow. Keep in mind that thumbs are painted quite often so whatever you put in the custom lines is fired a lot. A lot of caching is done, but scripts remain scripts and will have to execute every time

Hert

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 18 Feb 13 23:33

OK, bummer...
I had not thought about the possibility of having images assigned to various versions. That of course won't work.
I just hate that I have no decent way to immediately see the versions of an image alongside the thumbs.
:(
Frank

[Sorry, Hert, I am trying really hard to be positive about this. Yes, you might disagree, but seriously I have in the past few days tried very hard to figure out how to use PSU as replacement for IDI. Unfortunately every step along the way I run into yet another feature that is quintessential to my workflow and just not there. There are just too many drawbacks and cumbersome workarounds to make this work... :(

Obviously I have been looking around lots for other software as well. So far products from competitors are either much more complex and more complicated to use than IDI (possibly they also have even more to offer) or they are so simple that they have even less to offer than PSU.
I really cannot afford to yet again get involved with long discussions why some features might be useful trying to convince you or some other company these features might be worth considering, all that stuff that just worked perfect for me in IDI. With you, each time it's "but PSU is different"; elsewhere it is "???? what is that, could you please explain this better.."

That sadly means I am now stuck with IDI. It offers exactly what I need. I know its bugs, I know the workarounds. As long as that works this may not yet be a complete disaster, but sadly it is no long-term strategy to keep betting on a dead horse.
Sadly PSU, as it is, simply lacks so many features that it just slows me down and even if it is overall faster (as 64bit) it simply is not worth it.
I really was willing to make some sacrifices, but there are just too many issues that simply don't work. Now, I could list all the shortcomings here, but it well just antagonize you even more and thus only be counterproductive.
:( ]