Batch renaming

gcoupe

Re: Batch renaming

Post by gcoupe » 04 Mar 13 17:56

Today, I had another opportunity to do some continuous shooting - and I had examples of shots being taken within the window of one second.

When I came to import them, I found that only the first shot would be imported and renamed (using the built-in rename file with date/timestamp rule) - subsequent shots remained on the memory card and were not imported. So there is definitely an issue here.
Geoff Coupe
--------------
Photo Supreme /Windows 10 Pro 64 bits + Windows Home Server 2011 = DAM

Armitage Shanks

Post by Armitage Shanks » 21 Mar 13 22:21

Hert

You said "Best way to get around that is to use a rename rule that generates unique output, without depending on the "unique" settings."

Please can you explain, with an example, what you mean by this?

The day-to-day 'user' of the software is my wife and the end result that I require is that she can continue to have her files renamed using the naming convention described in my earlier post.

From the responses I've received, I think that the rule I described to you earlier ought to, in theory, work. That being the case, do you have an estimate for when you hope to fix the bug which is causing it not to work?

Thank you.

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 22 Mar 13 12:35

Armitage Shanks wrote:Hert
You said "Best way to get around that is to use a rename rule that generates unique output, without depending on the "unique" settings."
Please can you explain, with an example, what you mean by this?
I think Hert means that it is better practice to use a rule that always generates unique names (an example might be date-time-original filename) and not to rely on PSU adding an extra part automatically (although it ought to do so).
Armitage Shanks wrote:The day-to-day 'user' of the software is my wife and the end result that I require is that she can continue to have her files renamed using the naming convention described in my earlier post.
From the responses I've received, I think that the rule I described to you earlier ought to, in theory, work. That being the case, do you have an estimate for when you hope to fix the bug which is causing it not to work?
I think you should find that the latest version behaves as you want (keep the "Don't overwrite existing images" option ticked at all times). A number in brackets, such as (001) should be added when the rename rule results in a filename that already exists.
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

Armitage Shanks

Post by Armitage Shanks » 23 Mar 13 22:26

Thanks jstartin - for a while, I was hopeful this issue might be sorted but, alas, I've just run into a new problem and I'm reaching the end of my tether with this product.

I downloaded the patch and then attempted to test another batch rename but, upon attempting to verify my settings, PS became unresponsive. I tried clicking "more copy settings..." and the application simply hangs, leaving me no option but to close it.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the application completely, in case this was a problem caused by the installation of the patch but this has not solved my problem.

I then tried uninstalling, removing the "IDimager Systems, Inc" folder under AppData\Local, and then reinstalling but this, too, has not solved my problem.

I'm not really sure where to go from here but what I can say is that my wife now no longer trusts PS with her precious photos so, Hert, please can you tell me how to go about getting a refund? I use barely 1% of PS's functionality but the functionality that I need is buggy at best and, until the recent patch, very nearly caused us to lose some of our photos.

We would like to take our business elsewhere which is sad because we had several years of trouble-free service from IDImager before it got split up into the new range of products.

Hert - I'd be grateful for a quick turnaround on this as I need the refund to allow me to purchase an alternative product that will fulfil my needs.

Thank you.

Armitage Shanks

Post by Armitage Shanks » 24 Apr 13 21:12

It's been a month now, Hert - would be grateful for a reply to this, please.

Hert

Post by Hert » 24 Apr 13 23:02

Not sure what answer you're expecting. I believe I did answer...
Best way to get around that is to use a rename rule that generates unique output, without depending on the "unique" settings.
I think Hert means that it is better practice to use a rule that always generates unique names (an example might be date-time-original filename) and not to rely on PSU adding an extra part automatically (although it ought to do so).
I hope your workflow is flexible enough to change your rename rule to something without a risk of generating duplicates.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system