Main version

jcldl

Main version

Post by jcldl » 01 Jan 13 17:14

In the "raw" folder I have my raw files, in a subfolder" jpg" files with same name and in another subfolder from raw folder called "dxo" an other version of jpg files with a suffix in the name. All these three pictures are recognized as versions. The problem is that I want the raw file beeing considered as main version and indeed it's the dxo jpg files which is the main version. What should I do to make" raw" files recognized asthe main when versioning?
So my problem is : how to choose raw files as main version?

Hert

Re: Main version

Post by Hert » 01 Jan 13 20:22

I guess you use the Version Detection. That will set the JPG as the main version.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

jcldl

Post by jcldl » 01 Jan 13 23:02

Yes, but is there a way to select raw as main version for all pictures?

Hert

Post by Hert » 02 Jan 13 0:25

Yes, you can assign the RAW as main version by hand. Not very convenient. You could consider using a JPG as the main version?

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

jcldl

Post by jcldl » 02 Jan 13 7:59

Assign by hand 15000 raw pictures as main version is impossible. I would prefer raw as main version because all jpg pictures are raw pictures treated with software, so the basic picture is raw, all others come from raw pictures.

KeesdH

Post by KeesdH » 02 Jan 13 14:59

I use the same structure as jcldl: a RAW and a subfolder jpg with the developed jpg's. However to be more precise: in the main folder are the original pictures and in the jpg subfolder the developed pictures. Sometimes the originals are jpg's as well.

I would prefer having the originals as main and all the deriviates as other versions (sounds logical to me).
However because only the main picture can be shown as the default picture shown in a version set I prefer the jgp to be the main version.
Even in the latest version of PS it is not possible to pick a choice of versioning to make this happen because when I pick first jpeg then the original jpeg will be the main version in stead of the developed jpeg.
Starting with your originals in a subfolder does not make sense. What would help is "second version as main version" or "pictures in subfolder as main version".

The other possibility would be able to pick a version as the picture shown by default from a version set.

Any other views on this??

Kees

jcldl

Post by jcldl » 02 Jan 13 15:13

I agree with you, we should have a possibility of choice.

Hert

Post by Hert » 02 Jan 13 15:33

You do have a possibility of choice. That's the same as setting the main version manually.

Hert

jcldl

Post by jcldl » 02 Jan 13 15:58

Is there a way to automatically choose raw files in folder "raw" as main version ?

Hert

Post by Hert » 02 Jan 13 16:09

jcldl wrote:Is there a way to automatically choose raw files in folder "raw" as main version ?
In your preferences set, set the Main Version Detection Method to "First RAW found".

Hert

jcldl

Post by jcldl » 02 Jan 13 16:21

Thank you, it works.

David Grundy

Post by David Grundy » 03 Jan 13 2:11

(1) I don't use a folder structure that makes all of this work. But, assuming I did change folder structures in future (a nightmare job, actually, for the existing collection) ... Like Kees, I sometimes have a jpg as the original and another jpg as a derivative. Or sometimes a psd is the main. Most often these days it's a raw. Or other combinations, depending on how the original image was first created. In these cases can I control whether it is the file in the higher level folder, or the file in the subfolder, which becomes the Main image?

(2) How does this Preferences setting interact with cases where there are existing version sets and we are adding additional (3rd or later) versions? Does the rule change the existing Main image setting? Or does the existing Main image remain as a main image? What placeholder is assigned to 3rd and later versions?

(3) In which order are images "found"? (From the high-level folder down to subfolders? Or the other way around? What if there are two derivatives in different subfolders? Does it make a difference whether version detection is invoked via "verify folder" or by importing images?)

Presumably I could work these things out by experimentation. But this is quite time-consuming, and I don't necessarily think of the right cases to test and so I may not deduce the correct set of rules for the behaviour of the software. (And everyone who wants to work out what's going to happen outside the most basic cases will need to do the same experimentation - which seems inefficient.)

... David

Hert

Post by Hert » 03 Jan 13 3:13

The manual describes how the version detection works. Did you read that already.
And the main version for existing sets remains unchanged.

And don't forget; you can always change the set by hand if you don't like what the auto–detection found.

I can make a version detection tool that is fully configurable to enable everyone to configure it in such a way that it works 100% hit rate. Too bad that such a configurable tool then becomes unusable without studying the working for a few weeks, something the average user doesn't do; in other words: a fully configurable approach makes it great for a few people and unusable for the majority of users and that is exactly a pitfall that I don't want to step in twice.
This tool is intended to be kept simple in such a way that it offers power but stays usable. Finding that balance in a constant challenge.
You don't have to use Version Detection, and if you do... Try to use it in the way that works. If you have multiple JPGs for a RAW file and you're not happy with the tool picking any of the JPG files, then use RAW as your main version, or change the set by setting a different main version by hand.

Hert

David Grundy

Post by David Grundy » 03 Jan 13 5:36

Hert, that's a fair question. On reflection I realise that there have been updates to the versioning controls since last time I looked at the manual. I will have a look again and then come back to these questions.

... David

LifeIsLong

Post by LifeIsLong » 04 Jan 13 22:09

Can versioning be done via scripting? Could the more advanced users get more customization by taking the time to code it by hand, leaving the majority using the built-in GUI? I do this for excel. To me that is a great trade-off. The only problem is if the scripting API doesn't allow you to make versions and assign placemarks.