Verify folder --> Version detection: instructions?

Hert

Re: Verify folder --> Version detection: instructions?

Post by Hert » 03 Dec 12 22:13

Build .80 is available. This version fixes the loss of search data. You can rebuild your search data once by running the following small script (Tools -> Scripter). Building the search index may take a while to complete.

Code: Select all

catalog.buildsearchdata  
Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 03 Dec 12 22:51

Hert
The script gives me this:
PSU BuildSearchData Error.png
PSU BuildSearchData Error.png (16.15 KiB) Viewed 6942 times
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

Hert

Post by Hert » 03 Dec 12 23:31

Ok, doesn't matter too much...it's not that important

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 04 Dec 12 3:03

weidmic wrote:The renaming rule I use now for some years is:
%yy-%mm-%dd_%exif:Model%code Input := StrTran (Input, 'Nikon D', 'D'); %/code_%exifmakernote:ShutterCount.%FileExtension
Michael if you use four digits for the year in your file names you can avoid potential duplicate files in 10 years time too, that's a bit of what the Y2K bug was all about.

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 04 Dec 12 13:18

andrew.heard wrote:
weidmic wrote:The renaming rule I use now for some years is:
%yy-%mm-%dd_%exif:Model%code Input := StrTran (Input, 'Nikon D', 'D'); %/code_%exifmakernote:ShutterCount.%FileExtension
Michael if you use four digits for the year in your file names you can avoid potential duplicate files in 10 years time too, that's a bit of what the Y2K bug was all about.
Andrew,

I think Michael has another 87 years before he has to start worry about the Y3K bug. :)
Tom Stoddard

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 04 Dec 12 13:29

hahaha.... And I wont own a D700 or 800 anymore with the same "low'' shuttercount :)
Though, I have thought about putting the last 4 digits from my cameras serial number into my renaming rule to really make sure I will never ever have a duplicate filename!

Regards,
Michael
PSUServer 4.x, PostgreSQL 10.x
My homepage http://www.michaelweidner.com
PSU Tips and Tricks http://www.michaelweidner.com/WP/psu/

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 04 Dec 12 13:35

weidmic wrote:I have thought about putting the last 4 digits from my cameras serial number into my renaming rule to really make sure I will never ever have a duplicate filename!
What would you do when you happen by some small chance to buy a camera that has a serial number whose last four digits match the numbers of a camera that you had purchased earlier? You might be better off assigning an arbitrary number to the cameras that you have owned, such as Camera 1, Camera 2, etc., etc.

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 04 Dec 12 13:43

Mike,
What would you do when you happen by some small chance to buy a camera that has a serial number
I would send it back to amazon :lol:

No, I don't think this will happen (My rule still has the camera name in it)
PSUServer 4.x, PostgreSQL 10.x
My homepage http://www.michaelweidner.com
PSU Tips and Tricks http://www.michaelweidner.com/WP/psu/

mphillips

Post by mphillips » 04 Dec 12 14:14

Just to chime in here.

I think that this Auto version Detection on File Verify is a real Support Nightmare waiting to happen!

Many people don't rename their files but just pop them in straight from the card / camera with the default name - and there is NO warning of what's about to happen !

And what's even more disturbing is that I think the catalog labels get assigned to all image sin the version set - from one or other or all of the images (I can't be bothered to test and find out) - so even if you unbundle a Versioning operation you are left with the detritus of catalog labels assigned too images they were never intended for.

It just happened to me :-) - I create calendars for the families every year - and each reside in their own folder (Event - Calendars - YYYY - Family Name) and then each file is named for the month 06June.PSD

I, not thinking about the potential consequences, file verified the 2013 Calendar folder which has all my latest work in so that the images would be imported into Supreme and well you can guess the rest....... All the Calendars Versioned (all 06June.*) all with Catalog labels from all the years assigned... Livid doesn't quite describe me at the moment ... (Although I am ever so grateful for backups)

I suggest that in the interim (I hope its the Interim :-)) ones uses IMPORT (without Versioning) to get files INTO the catalog.

MikeP
Mike Phillips
http://www.mikeandmorag.co.za
D800, CNX2, Supreme

Hert

Post by Hert » 04 Dec 12 14:23

In the next update you can enable or disable the version detection.

David Grundy

Post by David Grundy » 04 Dec 12 14:35

[quote="IDimager"]Building the search index may take a while to complete.[/quote]

Indeed :shock:

Hert

Post by Hert » 04 Dec 12 14:36

David, and don't forget to Compact the database afterwards. Find that in the Preferences panel ;)

David Grundy

Post by David Grundy » 04 Dec 12 15:08

Thanks Hert, I hadn't thought of compacting after this operation. As it happens I already found the Compact command, even though it's (unintuitively for me) in Preferences. ;-)

In the meantime, while waiting for the index to rebuild (which I assume is what "not responding" means), I have no excuses left so I will now have to go off to do some work. *sigh*

...David

[Update: it took about one hour. c. 90,000 images. Win7 64bit i7 4-core (but it seems only 1/8 of capacity was used) 2.1GHz. My work took a lot longer than that so no problem!]

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 04 Dec 12 21:48

tstoddard wrote:The renaming rule I use now for some years is:

I think Michael has another 87 years before he has to start worry about the Y3K bug. :)
Tom - a file name with a two character year "12" i.e. 2012 will be the same two characters in year 2112 i.e. +ten years time. Aspects of the Y2K bug occur every ten years because people decide to economize by saving two characters in various metadata.

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 04 Dec 12 23:47

andrew.heard wrote:Tom - a file name with a two character year "12" i.e. 2012 will be the same two characters in year 2112 i.e. +ten years time. Aspects of the Y2K bug occur every ten years because people decide to economize by saving two characters in various metadata.
Andrew, the last time I checked the difference between 2012 and 2112 was 100. Am I missing something?
Tom Stoddard