Lighttable and load full size image

weidmic

Lighttable and load full size image

Post by weidmic » 20 Nov 12 9:21

Hert,

when the checkmark is set to load full size image and I press CTRL+T to get into the light table, shouldnt be the image in the LT be full size too?
If so I then need to mantis it...

Cheers,
Michael
PSUServer 5.x, PostgreSQL 10.x
My homepage http://www.michaelweidner.com
PSU Tips and Tricks http://www.michaelweidner.com/WP/psu/

Hert

Re: Lighttable and load full size image

Post by Hert » 20 Nov 12 9:56

The Lighttable is not intended to follow that setting. Use Full Screen instead.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 20 Nov 12 9:58

OK, how can I then compare a few images in detail?
I guess that is then not possible...

Cheers,
Michael

Hert

Post by Hert » 20 Nov 12 10:09

In full detail AND side by side; I guess not in the LT.

You could add those few images to the Image Basket (Shift+B), full screen the first image (Shift+Enter), check detail, move to second image and check detail.

You can always log a feature request in Mantis that the full size loading also applies to the LT. Or you can learn to live without.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 20 Nov 12 10:13

Done!

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 20 Nov 12 12:45

IDimager wrote:In full detail AND side by side; I guess not in the LT.

You could add those few images to the Image Basket (Shift+B), full screen the first image (Shift+Enter), check detail, move to second image and check detail.
That is the way it was done when we were viewing slides or negatives on a light table and it strikes me as a severely backward approach to culling digital images. The digital process is a huge improvement over using film in this regard because it allows us to simultaneously view sharpness of many images at 100%. Considering that the "management" part of DAM includes the very basic process of culling, I don't understand how a leading DAM program could be missing this capability. It seems to me to be comparable to claiming that a program that displays no histogram could be a leading photo editor.

Hert

Post by Hert » 20 Nov 12 13:15

Mike Buckley wrote:I don't understand how a leading DAM program could be missing this capability.
As a user of PSU, I am very happy with the LT as it is...then again, I use the LT to compare images, not to compare pixels.

This doesn't mean that this request is denied. Loading full size images in LT is currently not possible for memory limitation reasons. When the few people that also want to compare at pixel level need this too, then being able to address more memory is a first requirement. Right now you can use the Full Size viewer to view at full res pixel level. Nobody is helped when you can load 6 full size images and then you hit the memory limit of the computer (thanks to camera models with extreme resolutions, like the Nikon D800).

Hert

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 20 Nov 12 13:47

If I wanted to "compare pixels," as I gather you are using the phrase, I would ask for comparison capabilities at 600%, not 100%. I haven't done that, though I do know of at least one internationally renowned photographer with his own brick-and-mortar photo gallery who recommends using that practice. If comparing images simultaneously at 100% is somehow considered to be an invalid practice, then please provide the practitioners of best practice that advise us so. Otherwise, please do not deride those of us who prefer to compare our images that way.

EDIT: I see that you have now edited your post to expand on the practical limitations relating to the amount of memory and the size of files produced by the most recently released camera models. That addition to your post is understandable.

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 20 Nov 12 14:41

I must say that the ability to compare images side-by-side at 100% in the LT was one of the things I used in IDI to cull my images. It became easy to see which image had the best degree of sharpness.

While I can understand the point about memory constraints, I would have thought that this was one of the reasons for moving to a 64bit OS and application. Surely we aren't hitting the wall here as well?
Last edited by gcoupe on 21 Nov 12 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff Coupe
--------------
Photo Supreme /Windows 10 Pro 64 bits + Windows Home Server 2011 = DAM

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 21 Nov 12 12:15

I am very happy that the images in the LT are now loaded in full size and that independendly from the setting from the image viewer...
And I am also happy that the images loaded quite fast :)

Cheers,
Michael

Paul Harris

Post by Paul Harris » 22 Nov 12 4:40

Hert, et al.,

Thank you for this change, though optionally would have been fine. You have saved me a long-winded post to explain MY need for high res images in the light table.

Paul

Stubb

Post by Stubb » 02 Sep 14 0:51

gcoupe wrote:I must say that the ability to compare images side-by-side at 100% in the LT was one of the things I used in IDI to cull my images. It became easy to see which image had the best degree of sharpness.
Is this something that's doable today in Photo Supreme? I'd love a way to show two images side-by-side at 100% with synchronized scrolling in order to downselect images. Aperture provided a fantastically efficient compare & select workflow that I'm happy to describe in detail…

—Andreas

Hert

Post by Hert » 02 Sep 14 4:29

The Lighttable does exactly that. Read weidmic's reply in this topic from November 21 2012. This is a topic from the graveyard :D
Hert

Hondor

Post by Hondor » 02 Sep 14 17:55

IDimager wrote:Nobody is helped when you can load 6 full size images and then you hit the memory limit of the computer (thanks to camera models with extreme resolutions, like the Nikon D800).
Error2.jpg
Error2.jpg (92.41 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
I have previously filed this behaviour as a possible bug, but I am beginning to think, it's what happens, when I meet the memory limit on my humble 32-bit 4 GB RAM system. And I'm only looking at JPG's.

Anyway, I can usually manage comparing only 2 images at a time in the light table, and I'm plannning on buying more computer muscles next year.
- no previous experience with Idimager whatsoever...