custom order of thumbnails in a portfolio

andrew.heard

custom order of thumbnails in a portfolio

Post by andrew.heard » 27 Oct 12 0:37

In an IDI portfolio it was possible to order thumbnails by dragging them to a new location within the view. It was a little hit & miss "inserting" them into the desired order but at least it eventually worked. This meant for example you could export thumbnails for a slideshow in a sequence other than by date or other predefined order.

I was relieved on migrating from IDI to PS that my portfolio collections retained this custom ordering metadata.

I was just experimenting with creating my first custom ordered portfolio collection within PS when I realized (discovered) that dragging a thumbnail in between two others (to insert/ re-order it) was going to be interpreted as creating a version set, not what I wanted.

Hert any comment on PS plans for custom ordering of thumbnails within a portfolio collection or any tip for what I am trying to achieve?

Mike Buckley

Re: custom order of thumbnails in a portfolio

Post by Mike Buckley » 27 Oct 12 4:02

andrew.heard wrote: Hert any comment on PS plans for custom ordering of thumbnails within a portfolio collection or any tip for what I am trying to achieve?
This is also extremely important for me. I create portfolios for the purpose of displaying slide shows on the television and on a projector without any need for a computer. I don't care where the images can be placed in custom order (the standard Collection Viewer, the Image Basket, the Portfolio or some other module), but it's vital that I be able to custom sort them somewhere. I then must be able to copy those images to another folder and rename them in a batch process using an image number that automatically sorts them by filename.

george

Post by george » 27 Oct 12 22:55

Mike Buckley wrote:This is also extremely important for me. I create portfolios for the purpose of displaying slide shows on the television and on a projector without any need for a computer. I don't care where the images can be placed in custom order (the standard Collection Viewer, the Image Basket, the Portfolio or some other module), but it's vital that I be able to custom sort them somewhere. I then must be able to copy those images to another folder and rename them in a batch process using an image number that automatically sorts them by filename.
This is precisely how I use portfolios as well.
George

Le_Lion_07

Post by Le_Lion_07 » 31 May 13 7:42

Hi from France.
Mike Buckley wrote:(...) but it's vital that I be able to custom sort them somewhere.
Did I miss something ? Or is it still impossible to custom sort for each portfolio ? That's (partly) why I still use IDi v.5.
Photographies

L'importance du regard...
Tant qu'il y aura des étoiles...

Hert

Post by Hert » 30 Jul 13 0:06

This is now added to Photo Supreme 1.9.

1. Open a Portfolio Collection
2. Select he thumbnail that you'd like to relocate
3. Use Ctrl+cursor keys to reposition the selected item (Ctrl+Home, Ctrl+End, Ctrl+PgUp, Ctrl+PgDn will also work)

Manual sorting also works in the Import Module and in the Image Basket.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 30 Jul 13 2:29

IDimager wrote:This is now added to Photo Supreme 1.9.
Yessssssssssssssssss!!!!

You mentioned manual sorting. Is that drag-and-drop sorting?

Preston B

Post by Preston B » 30 Jul 13 5:44

Yessssssssssssssssss!!!!
I'll second that!

Thanks Hert!

--P
Preston Birdwell
Columbia, CA

Photo Supreme on Puget Systems Obsidian: Win 10-64 bit Intel i5Quad Core 3.3Ghz 32GB RAM, and Puget Systems Traverse Laptop. Chamonix 4x5 and Nikon D-7100.

Please visit my web site at www.gildedmoon.com

Hert

Post by Hert » 30 Jul 13 8:57

Mike Buckley wrote:
IDimager wrote:This is now added to Photo Supreme 1.9.
Yessssssssssssssssss!!!!

You mentioned manual sorting. Is that drag-and-drop sorting?
Mike,

Manual sorting allows you to change the order of images inside a portfolio collection/image basket/import collection. As I mentioned above you can manually order the thumbnail with the keyboard.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 31 Jul 13 0:05

Not as intuitive/ discoverable as dragging and dropping, especially for non-power or casual or mouse-orientated users. I would still argue "manual sorting" would be a more common task than attempting to make a version set within a portfolio, so I foresee users doing the latter when they meant to do the former, and getting pretty confused.

None the less, a big step forward in usability, well done and thankyou Hert.

LifeIsLong

Post by LifeIsLong » 02 Aug 13 1:37

Anyone else find that none of the view sorting methods work? All thumbnails are now sorted randomly regardless of which sort method I choose... using version 1.9.0.143.

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 02 Aug 13 2:23

I believe that is only the case in portfolio collections. It has been reported as a bug and Hert has already fixed it for the next release.
Tom Stoddard

Hert

Post by Hert » 02 Aug 13 9:03

Tom is correct; http://bugs.idimager.com/view.php?id=1596

Btw; they are not "randomly" sorted, they are sorted in the "manual order". SInce that 142 build release you can sort thumbnails in Portfolio collections (and in the Image Basket) by hand.

Le_Lion_07

Post by Le_Lion_07 » 05 Aug 13 11:38

Hi from France.

One more time, IDi is better than Supreme : you can sort any collection/portfolio/image basket manually by drag and drop, or automatically with any sort option...

I recently switched to Supreme ( :( ) and my portfolios were correctly imported... excepted (don't laugh...) the portfolios where photos were sorted by name... Now, they are "manually" sorted, as Hert says... That means I have to "sort" again each portfolio, using the files name.

Help ! Happily, I kept a copy of IDi database and I'll probably switch back to IDi. Crazy world !
Photographies

L'importance du regard...
Tant qu'il y aura des étoiles...

Hert

Post by Hert » 05 Aug 13 12:07

You probably didn't read the last few topic posts. As Tom and I mentioned, the sorting options that don't work in the current 143 build is a bug and already reported fixed.

It's all about expectations. If you're not flexible enough to change from drag/drop ordering to keyboard ordering then that means that you expect things to work the same. Fact is: it doesn't (and never will). Try to adapt. Drag/drop thumbs is for versioning, always...that's consistent.

Hert

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 06 Aug 13 0:32

IDimager wrote:If you're not flexible enough to change from drag/drop...
Hert
First off can I say I'm personally more than happy with the keyboard centric enhancement however the rest of the world appears to be moving to a more intuitive user interface with dragging/ touching etc. If you sat a new user down in front of PSu and asked them to rearrange the thumbnails (a simple enough task) I'm sure most will attempt to drag them around; they would have to consult some documentation to find out the keyboard shortcuts or read it here. I write this comment because I want PSu to succeed, I personally have a huge investment in terms of time spent. But read the PSu web page and it says "Photo Supreme was developed with easy-of-use as the primary focus"...