Question About Handling of IPTC Extension Location Created

gcoupe

Question About Handling of IPTC Extension Location Created

Post by gcoupe » 25 Sep 12 10:35

I think I need to submit an issue to the bug reporting system, but before I document it, I need someone to clarify the issue for me. After all, I may simply be not understanding how PS is supposed to work.

What I am trying to do is to map Place labels in the Catalog to IPTC Extension Location Created metadata.

I know that I can do this mapping on a one-to-one basis for the legacy image content fields. So, I can map City -> Photoshop:City, State -> Photoshop:State, and so on.

However, I want to move to start using IPTC Extension Location Created fields for locations. Partly because this is the future, and partly because some software, e.g. Windows Photo Gallery, already makes use of the IPTC Extension Location Created fields.

But, I can't see how to set up the mapping. PS seems to only allow me to define a mapping to the top level entry of Location Created - it does not allow me to set up a one-to-one mapping to elements within the Location Details structure (Sub-location, City, State, Country, Country Code, World Region).

The result is that I just get blank data in the Location Created field.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks
Geoff Coupe
--------------
Photo Supreme /Windows 10 Pro 64 bits + Windows Home Server 2011 = DAM

gcoupe

Re: Question About Handling of IPTC Extension Location Creat

Post by gcoupe » 25 Sep 12 11:20

BTW, I've tried adding text strings directly in the Metadata Mapping field, but that doesn't seem to work either.

For example, for a City in the Catalog Labels Places hierarchy, I've got:

photoshop:City,Iptc4xmpExt:City

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Geoff Coupe
--------------

mphillips

Post by mphillips » 25 Sep 12 11:36

Hi Geoff

What I am doing is that for every place (that I want to) I:

Edit Label (details)
Apply Detail Profile
IPTC Extension
Location in Image
And then physically Type in each field

Then when I assign that place label all those fields are populated.

Is that what you want ?

Or Are you trying to Reverse Geo Code - which populates the Image Content Field and then you want the image content fields to "auto" populate the IPTC Extension Fields ?

So for example using "%xmp:Iptc4xmpCore:Location" in the IPTC Extension Location %xmp:Iptc4xmpExt:Sublocation field ?

Sorry if I'm not getting you

MikeP
Mike Phillips
http://www.mikeandmorag.co.za
D800, CNX2, Supreme

mphillips

Post by mphillips » 25 Sep 12 11:47

Also Geoff

Just be aware that that the IPTC Extension isn't shown in"Catergory - Image details " AFAIK

MikeP
Mike Phillips
D800, CNX2, Supreme

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 25 Sep 12 11:50

MikeP,

I'm trying to have the Catalog Labels for Places auto populate the image metadata in both the legacy IPTC/Photoshop fields, and the new IPTC Extension Location Created fields.

From your reply below, I've numbered to the steps you've listed:
mphillips wrote: 1) Edit Label (details)
2) Apply Detail Profile
3) IPTC Extension
4) Location in Image
5) And then physically Type in each field
I lost you after step 1... I don't understand what you mean by "Apply Detail Profile" - that's not in the Edit Details panel, as far as I can see:

EDIT: Ah, yes, I see it now!!!

Dear me, but that seems very laborious, to create a whole series of Detail Profiles - one for each placename? I want to do auto-mapping....

See that "Metadata Settings" sub-panel? That's where I am trying to set up the mappings...
Geoff Coupe
--------------

mphillips

Post by mphillips » 25 Sep 12 12:05

Hi Geoff

Okay - As I understand it you want you want for EVERY place label let IPTC Extension Sub Location ( %xmp:Iptc4xmpExt:Sublocation) = Image Content Location( %xmp:Iptc4xmpCore:Location) and the same for City and the same for...

I tested and if you enter %xmp:Iptc4xmpCore:Location in the IPTC extension field it does work. I copied the macro codes of V5 - Right Click - Copy Macro to clipboard.

But how you do it for every catalog label without manually editing each labels is a scripting exercise - beyond me.

Am I on the right track.

MikeP
Mike Phillips
D800, CNX2, Supreme

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 25 Sep 12 12:28

Mike,

See that "Mapped to:" field in the Edit Details panel? If I click on the Ellipsis button next to it, then I get a selectable list of XMP elements that I can choose.

Under the "Image Content" section are the legacy location fields. Checking the "City" item gives me photoshop:City in that "Mapped to" field. If I check other items, then they get added to the "Mapped to" field, where the individual checked items are separated by commas.

So, I thought that for a Catalog Label that is a City, all I would have to do is to put in the string:

photoshop:City,Iptc4xmpExt:City

But this only seems to be writing out the Label into the first field - the photoshop:City field. the IPTC Extension Location Created field for the City is left untouched...

I just want auto-mapping of the Label value into two places in the metadata. I don't really want to create thousands of individual Detail Profiles, with all the overhead and errors that will inevitably creep in.
Geoff Coupe
--------------

Hert

Post by Hert » 25 Sep 12 12:35

Geoff/Mike,

I've added support to the next update so that you can also specify a structure element as a mapped XMP field. In this case the more complicating factor is that the "Location Created" field is also a Bag (array)

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 25 Sep 12 12:45

Hert,

Many, many thanks! I look forward to trying it out!
Geoff Coupe
--------------

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 26 Sep 12 7:57

Hert,

I've downloaded 1.0.5.56, but I'm still not seeing any of the IPTC Extension Location Created fields, there's only the legacy location fields visible...

Geoff Coupe
--------------

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 26 Sep 12 8:00

Hert,

OK, I see what I have to do - I have to go to the Image Details panel, and ensure that I have "Advanced" selected, and then all the fields will show up in that selection window.

That's a trifle confusing, I think?

It makes sort of sense when I think about it, but although it may be obvious in hindsight, it's a bit of a surprise in the user experience...
Geoff Coupe
--------------

Hert

Post by Hert » 26 Sep 12 8:06

Geoff, you can only select from the detail design that you currently have loaded. Based on what I see here this is the IPTC editor. Try to select the "Advanced" editor in the Image Details (upper right corner menu-button). Then select the mapping and you'll have a lot more options.
That's a trifle confusing, I think?
To you this may look confusing. However, the image details editor is the "world" of the user. Experienced metadata editors will know about a lot of specific fields, and a portion of those would need to map outside of their editor...and those users will have to know that the editor then needs to switched.

Hert
Attachments
SelectMapping.jpg
SelectMapping.jpg (154.44 KiB) Viewed 4346 times
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 26 Sep 12 8:19

Hert,

You wrote:

"...and those users will have to know that the editor then needs to switched".

Yes, it's that "have to" that is a little jarring - I discovered it by accident.

I'm reminded of all the fuss over Windows 8 having elements of the user interface that are not immediately obvious (such as how to close Modern Apps). Until you know the trick, it can be very confusing.
Geoff Coupe
--------------

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 26 Sep 12 8:34

I think I was also caught out because I'm finding I'm having to switch between the IPTC and the Advanced views in my use of PS.

The issue is that the Advanced view is not a superset of the IPTC view.

For example, the "Description" category in the IPTC view includes the Keywords, whereas in the Advanced view, it doesn't.

Because I like to check that my keywords are as expected, I am switching backwards and forwards between the IPTC and Advanced views very frequently.
Geoff Coupe
--------------

mphillips

Post by mphillips » 26 Sep 12 8:42

Hi Geoff
I think I am going to report that as a bug
MikeP
Mike Phillips
D800, CNX2, Supreme