Keywords - Delimited vs Simple

tstoddard

Re: Keywords - Delimited vs Simple

Post by tstoddard » 21 Sep 12 18:45

Thanks again Geoff. This discussion has really helped me to sort these issues out. I'm still not certain what selections I'll make but at least I understand the ramifications of my decisions. Also, knowing how easy it is to change those selections in the future makes these decisions a lot less critical. It is a shame that the industry can't agree on a standard for embedding hierarchical keyword structures.
Tom Stoddard

wphx

Post by wphx » 23 Sep 12 12:09

I am using delimited key words - using the | as the delimiter. When I drag and drop a photo into a place, I get all the levels of the place as separate keywords. I originially had the place assign the parent labels, but have switched that off. The result I (still get is):

1. drag photo to <city> i get in keywords:

Places|<country>|<state>|<city>
Places|<country>|<state>
Places|<country>

should I only have the first line in the keywords section?

Thankyou.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 23 Sep 12 14:41

tsdoddard,

Check your Writing settings. It seems that you might have the parameter enabled that includes all parent level labels as keywords. If you disable that setting, only the first line in your above example will be written to the file.

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 23 Sep 12 14:48

Um, Mike, the question was raised by wphx, not tsdoddard. And he/she also stated that the setting has been disabled...
Geoff Coupe
--------------
Photo Supreme /Windows 10 Pro 64 bits + Windows Home Server 2011 = DAM

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 23 Sep 12 14:51

wphx wrote:I am using delimited key words - using the | as the delimiter. When I drag and drop a photo into a place, I get all the levels of the place as separate keywords. I originially had the place assign the parent labels, but have switched that off. The result I (still get is):

1. drag photo to <city> i get in keywords:

Places|<country>|<state>|<city>
Places|<country>|<state>
Places|<country>

should I only have the first line in the keywords section?

Thankyou.
Just a thought - have you also got the "Replace keywords with Catalog labels" setting selected in the Write settings tab of Synchronisation settings? If you have got "Merge", instead of "Replace", then the pre-existing keywords won't get removed.

I got caught out by that a couple of years ago in IDimager...
Geoff Coupe
--------------
Photo Supreme /Windows 10 Pro 64 bits + Windows Home Server 2011 = DAM

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 23 Sep 12 16:28

gcoupe wrote:Um, Mike, the question was raised by wphx, not tsdoddard. And he/she also stated that the setting has been disabled...
Where is the slap-me-on-the face icon? I need one...NOW! :mrgreen:

wphx

Post by wphx » 24 Sep 12 1:21

OK - thanks - I checked the preferences - previously I had just checked the details of the place in the places category. In the sync settings of the preferences there is the option to include parent labels as keywords, and to always use lightroom hierarchical keywords. I think I had assumed that the option to include the parent labels, meant that they would be included in the lightroom hierarchy. However, and correctly now I think about it, it creates lightroom hierarchical keywords for each of the parent labels.

Thanks for the help

Regards