Selecting Multiple Images/Select All

tstoddard

Selecting Multiple Images/Select All

Post by tstoddard » 19 Sep 12 2:13

Okay, I'm trying to be fair and not flame anyone here but it's not easy. I downloaded the trial of IDI5 15 days ago and spent a lot of time getting to know it. Now I find out that it is not going to be available any longer.

Well, I'm trying to be a good sport about it so I downloaded a trial of Photo Supreme and followed the instructions to convert my catalog database over from IDI. That went well. Fortunately, I've only cataloged about 1600 images so far so I don't have that much to lose.

The first thing I did was to import another batch of images from a directory that has about 360 files in it. About half of those photos were taken underwater so I wanted to assign my "underwater" label to those photos. They are intermingled with photos taken from above water so there's no way to sort them so that they are contiguous. I'm accustomed to using combinations of Ctl, Shift, and Ctl+Shift to select blocks of items so that I can apply batch operations to the ones I want. When I try to do this on my machine, which is running Windows Vista Home Premium, here's what happens:

When I select the first image then hold Shift and click on the 5th image, items 1 through 5 get selected as I would expect. Then if I skip ahead to the 8th image and press Ctl and click on it, I now have 1 through 5 and 8 selected. Images 6 and 7 remained unselected as I would expect. But then, if I hold down Ctl+Shift and click on image number 10, I end up with 1 through 10 selected including images 6 and 7. I don't want images 6 and 7 to get selected when I do this. Is this by design?

Also, I can't find a way to "select all" in one step besides selecting the first image and then scrolling all of the way to the end and selecting the last image while holding the Shift key down. In IDI and almost all other Window apps I could right click and just "select all". Again, is this by design or is there something wrong with my machine.

This is basic windows behavior and if I can't do it in Photo Supreme, I won't even consider buying it. Please let me know if I'm missing something here. I'd rather not waste any more time on this if it isn't going to have this basic functionality. I've already spent two weeks learning about a product that has been abandoned. You should never have let people download trial versions two weeks before discontinuing a product without at least a warning.

I hope I'm just missing something because I do like this software. To be fair, I believe that the reading and experimenting I did with IDimager 5 has helped me figure out how to use Photo Supreme very quickly. I don't know how someone who hasn't used IDimager would learn to use Photo Supreme. So many of the feature are so well hidden. At least with IDI there was a manual to read.
Tom Stoddard

mphillips

Re: Selecting Multiple Images/Select All

Post by mphillips » 19 Sep 12 7:12

Select all = Ctrl - A
Mike Phillips
http://www.mikeandmorag.co.za
D800, CNX2, Supreme

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 19 Sep 12 12:26

Thank you so much, mphillips. I should have realized that there was a keyboard shortcut to do that. Now if I could only figure out how to select non contiguous blocks of images, I'd be a little bit happier.
Tom Stoddard

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 19 Sep 12 12:48

I would just like to point out that using Ctrl+A is indeed a Windows convention. Once you have selected all of the images using that method, you can also Ctrl+Click any of them to deselect them while leaving the other images selected. That's also a Windows convention.

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 19 Sep 12 20:52

You're right Mike, I realized that. Using ctl+shift to select non-contiguous groups of items is also a windows convention. Why isn't it supported?

Also, as an interesting side note, I downloaded and installed Photo Supreme on my PC at work which is running Windows XP Professional and it seems to run fine. I thought it required Windows Vista or higher to run. Am I mistaken?
Tom Stoddard

andy@damroundup.com

Post by andy@damroundup.com » 19 Sep 12 22:19

Hi.. I was able to use the combination of Shift/Ctrl in PSU with no problem.. here is what I did:
1 - Select a group of contiguous images using Shift + Left Mouse Click.
2 - Move down a few lines and Ctrl + Left Mouse Click a few images...

I then have the original few images plus the images I clicked a few lines down all highlighted... works great though I'm not entirely thrilled about the brown/burnt orange/Yellow color for highlight that appears - would love to customize that like I could do in V5 to a bright red/green so it is more obvious.
Check out our detailed DAM reviews at http://www.DAMRoundup.com
Custom designed books for publication or personal enjoyment - http://www.JingotheCat.com

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 19 Sep 12 22:29

andy@damroundup.com wrote:Hi.. I was able to use the combination of Shift/Ctrl in PSU with no problem.. here is what I did:
2 - Move down a few lines and Ctrl + Left Mouse Click a few images...

I then have the original few images plus the images I clicked a few lines down all highlighted...

Andy,

I can do that also but what will not work is:
2 - Move down a few lines and Ctrl + Left Mouse Click.
3- Move down a few more lines and Ctrl + Shift + Left Mouse Click.

...Now I should have two non-contiguous groups of contiguous images selected. The problem is that I end up with the images in between the two groups selected also. That should not happen. Can you try this and tell me if you get the same results that I do?

Thanks!
Tom Stoddard

andy@damroundup.com

Post by andy@damroundup.com » 20 Sep 12 1:39

Yup.. you are correct - that happened to me as well with all the images now highlighted.
Check out our detailed DAM reviews at http://www.DAMRoundup.com
Custom designed books for publication or personal enjoyment - http://www.JingotheCat.com

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 20 Sep 12 2:25

Thanks for confirming this for me. I'd say that this is a bug. How do I report a bug?
Tom Stoddard

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 20 Sep 12 7:55

tstoddard wrote:How do I report a bug?
Best way, and surest way, would be to report it via email to support@idimager.com

Alternatively, post a new topic here in the forum, with the word "Bug" in the title - that will get Hert's attention...
Geoff Coupe
--------------
Photo Supreme /Windows 10 Pro 64 bits + Windows Home Server 2011 = DAM