Supreme ?

Le_Lion_07

Supreme ?

Post by Le_Lion_07 » 18 Sep 12 22:15

Hello from France.

I've just updated IDi 5 to Supreme... Well... Not really convincing.

Following the way I've read on the forum, I imported my IDi database to Supreme. But... most of the photos are not shown in full size. I just have the thumbnail, even if I double clic on them. For some others, it works. Why ?
One of my labels category lost its name during conversion. If I try to give the good name, it works, but no possibility for the background color : I am obliged to keep the red color "by default".
I changed the path to my database location (wich is on D:, like the one for IDi), but Supreme always open with the default location. I asked for the dialog at start, but after changing the path, it always opens with the default location.

Finally, I am a little bit disappointed. Of course, a new software needs time to learn how to use it properly, but, precisely, I needed time to learn how to use IDi... (and optionnally to translate it). Why do that again ? IDi works fine, except for some bugs. So, I hope it still will be avalaible. For me (and just for me), I go on with IDi 5, waiting for ver.6. Soon or never ?
Photographies

L'importance du regard...
Tant qu'il y aura des étoiles...

wphx

Re: Supreme ?

Post by wphx » 19 Sep 12 0:52

Initial impressions were great. It addresses some of my needs.

I wasn't sure about importing the catalog - I deleted any exiting catalog in the catalog (supreme) folder, and copied the Iv5 catalogs there. It imported OK. I noticed that the preprogrammed 'Places' list had gone after the import (I had a couple 'places' I think in my catalog.

I also found that double-clicking on the thumbnail, only seems to open the thumbnail or a preview in low-res in the editing window - slideshow was OK

Something odd when editing recipes one of the pictures (after the import). A photo with a rotation in the recipe - the recipe icon showed up. I clicked on it & the recipes displayed. (Rotation = On). When I clicked on the recipes icon, the picture also displayed without the rotation (in the case 90 deg cw). I click on the rotation recipe and force it to rotate 90 deg cw. The picture rotates to the portrait format, and the recipe for rotation = Off. My camera doesn't have the rotation info embedded (I don't think).

Where can I find the GPS co-ordinates in the details panel?

Will there be anything like the GPS Panel as in idimager? I frequently log my gps & assign it to photos

is there any web publishing features (i.e. creating websites)?

My initial impressions, however were good - I like the navigation and look forward to seeing it develop

mphillips

Post by mphillips » 19 Sep 12 7:04

Hi wphx

Some quick Answers.

To Open images full screen = Shift - Enter
GPS = Details - Technical - Expand the Sub Section
GPS Panel = No - Hert says use a External GPS program like Geosetter - not a Core Cataloguing function so use an external program
Web Publishing = No - not a Core Cataloging function so use an external program
Mike Phillips
http://www.mikeandmorag.co.za
D800, CNX2, Supreme

Le_Lion_07

Post by Le_Lion_07 » 19 Sep 12 8:13

Thank you Mike for the infos.

But the idea is the same : IDi works fine and, even if I'll try Supreme again, just to give it a chance, I don't see any reason to change (otherwise, if I choose Supreme, be sure I will translate it - if it is possible).

I suppose that Supreme will be improved, but for now, IDi offers much more possibilities (Web publishing, for instance ; for that unique reason, I keep IDi as I use the Web publishing function for my photo site). Just hope, as I said in my precedent message, that IDimager will stay alive. Sure that many users think like me.
Photographies

wphx

Post by wphx » 19 Sep 12 8:59

Good info - thanks. I guess its really only a day or so, so there are probably many questions. Thanks for the tip about Geosetter, I found also http://code.google.com/p/gpicsync/ which look useful.

Hert

Post by Hert » 19 Sep 12 9:55

Le_Lion_07 wrote:If I try to give the good name, it works, but no possibility for the background color
Right click on a category then select "Edit Category", tick the "Use custom colors" box and set a custom text/background color
I asked for the dialog at start, but after changing the path, it always opens with the default location.
PSU should start with the last selected catalog.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Le_Lion_07

Post by Le_Lion_07 » 19 Sep 12 10:07

Hi.

I begin with Supreme...
To Open images full screen = Shift - Enter
Don't work... Maybe I did not explain clearly. This is not a question of "full screen". When clicking on a thumbnail, photos are shown in full screen, but... as thumbnail. No access to the original file. A problem of authorization/database ?
Right click on a category then select "Edit Category", tick the "Use custom colors" box and set a custom text/background color

Don't work... If i do such a thing, the cursor on the right of the little window can not to be moved. It stays either at the top or at the bottom of the scale.
Ok, I'll see at the next start.

Thank you.
Photographies

Hert

Post by Hert » 19 Sep 12 10:16

Le_Lion_07 wrote:Don't work... Maybe I did not explain clearly. This is not a question of "full screen". When clicking on a thumbnail, photos are shown in full screen, but... as thumbnail. No access to the original file. A problem of authorization/database ?
Click the Options button and then tick "Load Full Size Images".
Don't work... If i do such a thing, the cursor on the right of the little window can not to be moved. It stays either at the top or at the bottom of the scale.
Works fine here... you did right click on a top level category?
EditCategory.jpg
EditCategory.jpg (66.52 KiB) Viewed 4777 times
Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Le_Lion_07

Post by Le_Lion_07 » 19 Sep 12 10:31

Click the Options button and then tick "Load Full Size Images".
Yes, I saw this option. But it does not work properly, mean : only for some images. Note that, when using "Catalog > By folder", the logical disc (the one where are my numeric pictures) has a red mark. Does that mean is it "out of sync" ? I mean : not avalaible ?
Works fine here... you did right click on a top level category?
Yes, sure. I can see the little window (just like the one in Photoshop), but the cursor on the right scale can not be moved, except to go directly from top to bottom. Same behaviour for the transparency cursor at the bottom of the window.
Photographies

Le_Lion_07

Post by Le_Lion_07 » 19 Sep 12 10:48

Don't work. Supreme has big problem with special (french) letters.

My directory is : D:\Données logicielles\IDimager Photo Supreme\Catalogue général\tout.cab.db
When restarting Supreme, it cannot show correctly the full path. Special letters are changed and if I try to start with my catalog, Supreme returns to the default location.

Note that IDimager v5 has no problem.

Note 1 : I just tried to relocate my digital disc. And the same problem : Supreme is not able to recognize "é" and other special letters (special... according to english ones)... The name of my digital disc is : "J:\Numérique. Unfortunatly, many french people are used to insert in their folder name... french letters. For instance, "2011.09.16 - Baptême de Léon à Béziers" and it would be difficult to ask them to change this behaviour...

Note 2 : ok, it works now when "Load full size image" is checked. But the folder names are not shown properly.
Photographies

Hert

Post by Hert » 19 Sep 12 11:47

The issue is with writing special characters to the Windows registry.

Now fixed this for the next update.

Hert

Le_Lion_07

Post by Le_Lion_07 » 19 Sep 12 13:14

Hert/IDimager wrote:The issue is with writing special characters to the Windows registry.

Hert
:)
Photographies

Le_Lion_07

Post by Le_Lion_07 » 19 Sep 12 16:02

(Supreme automatic updater has detected an update. I don't know if it is the one I am waiting for, but if it is, unfortunatly, the issue with special letters is still present).
Photographies

Hert

Post by Hert » 19 Sep 12 16:42

It is, but you'll need to start it twice before you can tell if it works or not.

Hert

Jesperben

Post by Jesperben » 19 Sep 12 21:16

GPS Panel = No - Hert says use a External GPS program like Geosetter - not a Core Cataloguing function so use an external program
There IS a GPS Panel - although not as full as in IDI.

Select picture -> press +-button -> tick the box at GEO Location.

It looks up coordinates, and it shows you the place in Google Maps. But as far as I can tell, you can't move the marker on the map and then automatically write the cooridnates back into Photo Supreme (as you can in IDI). If the automatic coordinates are wrong, you will have to enter the right numbers by hand. A bit of a hassle if you always want the coordinates to hit the exact spot.
Trying to get a lot of old pictures out to the family