Very disappointed!

sunlit

Very disappointed!

Post by sunlit » 04 Jul 12 23:55

Now I have purchased the app. Apart from general sluggishness at import, lots of rolling balls, etc (Macbook pro mid 2010 2.5 Ghz core i5 with 8 Gb RAM),
what do I see after importing a few of my Nikon D700 raw files? all thumbnails have wrong orientation, rotation option does not work, despite the app reporting some "rotational activity". Previews are also all upside down. Moreover,
Maximum previews size in options is 1680, well, what if my display is 2560 resolution, and it is! (Cinema HD 30")? in preview mode I 100% view is not adequate.

I did not find any option regarding using .nef embedded previews, help does not work, preferences has way few options to configure.

So first impression is very ugly, I think I will have to demand a refund from AppStore, and will have to write a very unfavorable review. App released prematurely?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 2.46.30 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 2.46.30 AM.jpg (439.92 KiB) Viewed 3093 times

mphillips

Re: Very disappointed!

Post by mphillips » 05 Jul 12 6:35

Hi
I did not find any option regarding using .nef embedded previews, help does not work, preferences has way few options to configure.
In the preview / lighttable there is an option under Options to Load Full Size Images.
05-07-2012 07-32-55 AM.jpg
05-07-2012 07-32-55 AM.jpg (62.78 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
Unfortunately its not persistent across every time you open Supreme (or even invocations of the previewer) but it is persistent within each viewing session.

Regards

MikeP
Mike Phillips
http://www.mikeandmorag.co.za
D800, CNX2, Supreme

Hert

Post by Hert » 05 Jul 12 7:47

Mike, That option is not intended to be persistent between invocations. It should be persistent within the session.

About the thumbnails being rotated after import; did you set the rotate option in the importer? If so, try to switch that off. if you have it off, then try the setting on.

Also, did you import images from your camera or were these images used in other software before. If the latter, check if the old software has the orientation written with the correct value in the XMP.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

sunlit

Post by sunlit » 05 Jul 12 7:55

Hi! My images were previously edited, I used Lightroom, and Capture NX2 also. The option to turn on full sized previews turns on internal raw processing it seems, for the previews that I get are not those embedded in jpegs, and that is totally un-usable, since I use Capture NX2 to edit Nikon nefs.
There is a bug, since rotation of thumbnails does not work, when I click on the rotate icon within the thumbnail, the app reports activity "rotating" in the bottom left corner, but nothing happens.

sunlit

Post by sunlit » 05 Jul 12 8:03

I don't see any global option for rotation at import. If you mean rotate icons from within thumbnails, then it does not work, just like I reported for the general thumbnail view in the catalog. The app still reports "Rotate left" "rotate right" activity. But nothing happens.

sunlit

Post by sunlit » 05 Jul 12 8:06

another annoying quirk: when catalog tree is viewed by folder, each time I enable this view, all the folders are not expanded, so I have to endlessly click on the expand triangle to get to my folder, this is especially the case with many nested folders. Annoying, but surely not a dealbreaker!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 10.58.29 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 10.58.29 AM.jpg (95.86 KiB) Viewed 3072 times

sunlit

Post by sunlit » 05 Jul 12 8:15

Thank goodness, I have successfully got a refund from App Store for this very raw and totally unusable (in my case with Nikon raw files) app that somebody apparently very eager deemed ready for release. This is not the case, the app needs further development and charging 80 USD for it is plain ridiculous.
To summarize:
1/ Critical bug with thumbnail rotation. Rotation should work from thumbnail view (thats obvious), and moreover it should allow to select multiple thumbnails and rotate them all at once, just like Lightroom does. otherwise user can be stuck with a folder of 500 images, 200 of which need rotation (e.g. because they were edited in some app, like Capture NX, which does mess up the embedded preview orientation) and click 200 times on each thumbnail will put anyone off. I tried to attach screen video capture of the buggy situation but the forum won't allow .mov extension (why is that?).
2/ Impossible to get full size embedded previews from Nikon nefs. That will put off all Nikon shooters who use Capture NX2 (Nikon proprietary software), and were hoping to use Photo Supreme as a DAM only app. And the rest of Nikon shooters use Lightroom, or other established DAM+processor applications anyway. So you successfully put off 90% of Nikon shooters with your very clever thinking.
The app may have good future but it is an insult to customers to put it on sale WITHOUT trial option when the app is still in Beta testing phase really.