situation with Nikon .nef raw files

sunlit

situation with Nikon .nef raw files

Post by sunlit » 04 Jul 12 22:32

May I know how Photo Supreme treats Nikon raw .nef files? Is it possible to view (both in thumbnails and full size view) the embedded jpeg, and NOT the processed raw?
Is it possible to export jpegs using embedded jpegs, just like Photo Mechanic does it?

sunlit

Re: situation with Nikon .nef raw files

Post by sunlit » 04 Jul 12 22:53

and, overall, is it possible to use Photo Supreme as a DAM app only, for Nikon raw and other files, but use their respective proprietary raw processors for raw manipulation? (e.g. Nikon Capture NX for .nefs, and Canon DPP for canon files?)

mch_nz

Post by mch_nz » 05 Jul 12 5:09

Hi there,

your question prompted me to check this out. I've just started working with NEF, shooting RAW exclusively, capturing with View NX2 or Hazel, and developing with Capture NX2. I'm a long-term IDI user but new to the Mac and Nikon world so getting my head around things.

Photo Supreme seems to handle my D7000 NEF files really well. It shows the embedded JPG as thumbnail and preview. If I make a change in NX2 it's reflected automagically in Photo Supreme. It's quite cool to see the thumbnail change as you're looking at it. And using the batch job "File Format Conversion" looks like it extracts and saves the embedded preview.

For me Photo Supreme is looking good. I really like that it respects the edits I've done in NX2.

Cheers,
Mark

sunlit

Post by sunlit » 05 Jul 12 8:21

this goes contrary to my own testing. I have Nikon D700 nefs, and I could not get full-sized previews using embedded jpegs. Only standard-sized previews, which go only as large as 1680, which is not adequate on my 30" display. When I click use full sized previews it starts giving me the in-app raw processing, which I totally don't need.
Apart from that I could not rotate the thumbnails from the thumbnail view, neither in catalog, nor at import. Please tell me if rotation works for you in thumbnail view (hover mouse over thumbnail, click triangle to expand options, click rotate). In my case rotation does not work at all.

mch_nz

Post by mch_nz » 05 Jul 12 9:57

Sorry, can't help with the preview size, neither of my monitors are large enough. Previews certainly don't go any bigger that the max size of 1680 but you can load the full size. Not sure if this is rendering from the RAW or just taking time to extract the embedded JPG

Thumbnail rotation of NEF files does not work for me either. But the thumbnail rotation of JPG files does work. HoweverThe NEFs from my D7000 are correctly honouring the orientation - portrait or landscape. I also tried rotating an image in NX2 and Photo Supreme displayed the new orientation. Not sure why your setup wouldn't work.

Cheers
Mark