where are the instructions??

marnie7771

where are the instructions??

Post by marnie7771 » 27 Jun 12 2:02

I Just loaded the program onto my mac and like what I can see and do which isn't very much. The instructions are so minimal that after a day of working on it, i am totally frustrated. How do you get more than one image on the light table? I am not familiar with photo programs and I think with this one I may not get any better. WHere can I go to ask questions, simple basic questions?

Hert

Re: where are the instructions??

Post by Hert » 27 Jun 12 2:54

Questions can be asked here.

Did you try the Tips button in the toolbar? That will tell you what all buttons are for.

To open two or more images on the light table, select the thumbnails and then click the Lighttable button.

Hope that helps.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

marnie7771

Post by marnie7771 » 27 Jun 12 18:07

I didn't know how to select more than one image until last night when looking through You Tube videos that described using other photo programs. If I read your answer last night before I saw the videos, I would have become completely discouraged with the purchase. Some of their information gave me some ideas to try with this program. Tips are not always specific enough for my computer abilities eventually I will figure it out but I will Never buy another program without finding out what kind of support is available for dummies before I buy.

Hert

Post by Hert » 28 Jun 12 8:28

Marnie7771,

This is the most helpful forum that I am aware of. You can post all your questions here, even if they are the most rudimentary ones. We're here to help you so don't hesitate to post.

PhotoSupreme is very feature rich and one of the pitfall is that you drown in its features, that is why the descriptions are kept simple. Start with the help file and get your way through it. It will touch many of the features and help you get more acquainted with the application. Then post your questions here if you need more detailed instructions for your specific situation, because there are as many possible workflows as there are photographers and no description can cover all...

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

dickl

Post by dickl » 28 Jun 12 15:06

Hert/IDimager wrote:Marnie7771,

PhotoSupreme is very feature rich and one of the pitfalls is that you drown in its features, that is why the descriptions are kept simple.

Hert
It strikes me that you will have to do better here Hert. Feature rich is an understatement! There are so many layers to the onion that Photo Supreme is. Having learned much about Idimager with years of reading this forum, helpful instructions from you, and Mike Buckley's guide at hand, I have learned how valuable a proper DAM can be. But switching to Photo Supreme was quite a task... I knew what it could do, but it took a while to find out how to accomplish it. Quite a diffent paradigm... Now that the final is out, the instructions clearly show how to do it. Thanks.

But I think what is needed more here is not how to do something, but why, and what for... Now that you are distributing PS via the Apple store, your customer base has greatly increased, and many potential customers are not professionals, probably not even searching for a DAM, and will just buy it to see if it is better than iPhoto...

Perhaps it would be a good idea to create a tutorial section in the forum for PS, and start with an introduction to DAM and demos with PS in folder mode together with sample commands that can be accessed in the collection view...

Just my 2 cents worth...

Dick

andy@damroundup.com

Post by andy@damroundup.com » 28 Jun 12 15:53

I would agree with Dick and the others... different user base who may need to be handheld a bit - help files or (even better perhaps) introductory tutorial videos built into the software, is a good way to get the new audience engaged and comfortable with the software. A "step-by-step" workflow is important in my opinion...
Check out our detailed DAM reviews at http://www.DAMRoundup.com
Custom designed books for publication or personal enjoyment - http://www.JingotheCat.com

vlad

Post by vlad » 04 Jul 12 6:58

Hello Dick,
dickl wrote:Having learned much about Idimager with years of reading this forum, helpful instructions from you, and Mike Buckley's guide at hand, I have learned how valuable a proper DAM can be. But switching to Photo Supreme was quite a task... I knew what it could do, but it took a while to find out how to accomplish it. Quite a diffent paradigm...
Since you have used both IDI and PS, would it be possible to make a short comparison between them? Have you found notable things that you could do in one application but not the other? Does PS support hierarchical labels, versioning, geotagging...? Can its functionality be extended by scripting or other mechanisms? Instructions aside, which one is easier to use overall?

Thanks,
Vlad

Hert

Post by Hert » 04 Jul 12 8:40

vlad wrote:Instructions aside, which one is easier to use overall?
What's "easier" for one doesn't mean it's easier for the other. In general, PSU should be easier to use.

It's like asking to compare Windows with MacOSX while expecting them to operate the same. The Windows user interface can do much more, is more flexible. Still OSX is more accessible...but when you're used to using Windows then you'll have a hard time to convert. One can only convert to OSX if they can accept the differences and live with the fact that OSX's is designed with a different approach in mind...

You shouldn't expect IDI to work the same as PSU. Each product uses a completely different paradigm.

Hert

vlad

Post by vlad » 04 Jul 12 16:52

Hert, thanks for the answer - makes sense to me. (I gather that PSU has a different usage model than IDI, not just a revamped interface.) But what about PSU's capabilities (and I mentioned some specifics: hierarchical labels, versioning, geotagging etc) - are these a subset of IDI's features or they are roughly the same? Is it possible, for example, to migrate an IDI catalog to PSU (without discarding useful data)?

Hert

Post by Hert » 04 Jul 12 17:15

vlad wrote:hierarchical labels, versioning, geotagging etc)
Yes, Yes, No
Is it possible, for example, to migrate an IDI catalog to PSU (without discarding useful data)?
Yes, you can use an IDI database in PSU and it will be converted. Not the other way around though. A PSU database (either converted from IDI or not) won't work in IDI.

Hert

dickl

Post by dickl » 04 Jul 12 19:28

Hi Vlad,
vlad wrote: Since you have used both IDI and PS, would it be possible to make a short comparison between them? Have you found notable things that you could do in one application but not the other? Does PS support hierarchical labels, versioning, geotagging...? Can its functionality be extended by scripting or other mechanisms? Instructions aside, which one is easier to use overall?
Thanks,
Vlad
A detailed comparison would not be easy. The user interface is totally different. But I can provide some information.

First of all, Idi and PS are metadata editors to me. I don't generally edit images in Idi or run scripts as a rule. I just want to download from my memory card, rename images as appropriate, save original raws for archive purposes apply a detail profile and enter metadata such as copyright, labels, descriptions etc.

I've never geotagged, so I cannot comment on that.

Hierachical labels - yes. In fact I created a default catalog structure in Idi, and entered it first into PS so that any imports would correctly find apply my hierarchical labels. Worked fine.

Versioning - yes. Quite a different paradigm. In Idi, I would select and block edit images in Silkypix, creating jpgs. On return from SP, I would run the Version wizard to correctly identify new versions, and place them where they belong. In PS, I can do the same thing, but to add a version, you simply drag the new version over an existing image (eg jpg over dng) and a single image appears with two tabs on the right side. One for each version. On reading the help file, there is a way to batch this process, but I have not yet used it.

I have a lot more experience with IDI, less with PS, so at this point I cannot really say which one is the easiest to work with. I think that in time, PS will be faster. PS has a single UI, showing a collection viewer. You can choose what collection the viewer displays - eg By Catalog label, by Folder, by portfolio, by rating.. Then you can filter images by rating color label... Pretty quick way to find you images, and segregate them.

After setting up all your preferences and profiles, PS works pretty slick. Slip in a memory card, all your presets and metadata are applied and the collection viewer opens up ready to go.

I guess it's a pity that you cannot download a trial version to see if it will do the trick for you. So far I have not missed a feature that I used in IDI, but like I said, my needs are pretty simple. It works fine with Lightroom, and Silkypix, (and iPhoto for that matter), and chaining out to these programs an back works fine. I also have DxO Pro and Aftershot Pro but at the moment the chaining out process does not seem to work with these - the programs open, but the selected images to not make it. This may likely be a problem with the third party programs so I'm not ready to blame PS for this yet.

Looks like a lot of thought has gone in to simplifying the UI, and in time it will work fine. But coming from Idi it takes a while to figure out where everything is.

Dick

mch_nz

Post by mch_nz » 04 Jul 12 22:01

Hert/IDimager wrote: Yes, you can use an IDI database in PSU and it will be converted. Not the other way around though. A PSU database (either converted from IDI or not) won't work in IDI.
So does this mean that a PSU catalog can't be shared with an IDI catalog? Except for a one-way import?

Mark

mphillips

Post by mphillips » 05 Jul 12 6:29

Hi Mark

Yes - That is Correct.

When you open an IDimager V5 for windows catalog in Supreme for Mac it converts the catalog to Supreme format.

This Supreme catalog cannot be opened with Idimager V5.
and
The V5 Catalog "cannot" be shared with Supreme - its converts it - so it cannot be used again by V5.

Does that clarify it ?

Regards

MikeP
Mike Phillips
http://www.mikeandmorag.co.za
D800, CNX2, Supreme

mch_nz

Post by mch_nz » 05 Jul 12 7:00

Yep, thanks Mike.

Wish I'd known this before I purchased, I had no indication that the databases were incompatible. Are there any plans to support a mixed IDI/Photo Supreme environment like I've got?

Cheers,
Mark

Hert

Post by Hert » 05 Jul 12 7:49

Mark,

Supreme will be released for Windows too.

Hert