importing from windows

nlawson

importing from windows

Post by nlawson » 28 Mar 12 19:34

Just a couple of questions.

the database from my windows version seemed to open with the osx version, but i need to change the path to the photos, but can't see any way to do this is it possible? this would save lots of importing time for me.

on the ingest/import what does import images to catalogue do, does it copy the images into the database similar to apertures default or does it just add the image data to the catalogue?

thanks

Neil

Hert

Re: importing from windows

Post by Hert » 28 Mar 12 20:01

nlawson wrote:the database from my windows version seemed to open with the osx version, but i need to change the path to the photos, but can't see any way to do this is it possible? this would save lots of importing time for me.
Click the catalog button and select "By Folder". Then find your root folder, right click and select "Relocate Folder...". Then point to the right location
on the ingest/import what does import images to catalogue do, does it copy the images into the database similar to apertures default or does it just add the image data to the catalogue?
It create references in the database. The images remain at their original location.

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

nlawson

Post by nlawson » 29 Mar 12 1:26

Thanks that worked a treat.

pgerrish

Post by pgerrish » 06 Apr 12 18:49

Hert

This move from windows to mac will I think be of significant to many users and ideally for many a wizard taking the user through the steps you describe may well be useful to many, especially as many now look to keeping data on drives such as NAS and are hence accessible from PC and mac.

Paul

nlawson

Post by nlawson » 06 Apr 12 21:30

moving from windows Went pretty well used the old database from my windows version. I didn't use the old previews and thumbnails

couple of minor issues,

lots of thumbs had a thumb with test saying "can't load draw or out of memory". they refreshed with F8 OK, have plenty of memory (32GB) and its a 2009 mac pro. but i think it was about 60,000 photos mostly raw it had to work through.

Sync seems to not quite work all the time, if i do a sync all out of data images i get quite a lot if not all still showing out of sync in the catalogue state, (write meta-data and read metadata seems to clear this up).

Not sure on this but if i am on "By Folder on the left hand side" it remembers each "state" e.g. i pick some photos from the folder view and want to use the catalog view to tag them. only way is to put them into the image basket then change to catalogue view then image basket. It would be nice to have the catalogue also on the assign panel as an option.

Way to move images or copy images in the program would be good, and its working great with the Zevo ZFS.

But working really well, excellent so far. (64 bit version sometime?)

pgerrish

Post by pgerrish » 09 Apr 12 15:09

I working thro trying to move a test subset (500) of my 10,000 images from Windows IDIv5 to Mac Supreme and have got into confusion with key words and importing the hierarchical structure to extent have discarded the Supreme test catalog and start with a fresh one (note is there any way to delete a catalog from WITHIN Supreme as opposed to just add one?).

Have IDI on Windows 7 and a hierarchical keyword structure e.g. Places>>Europe>>France>>Paris
Objects>>Cycling paths>>N2
but have not set it to show parent (perhaps an error?) in the metadata hence the only Keywords attached as Keywords in jpg metadata are Paris and N2. The files are diffferent sub directories and I have taken a selection of them into a single directory to import en masse (from one directory) into supreme on the mac.

I want to replicate he hierarchical key word structure in Supreme.
If I import a text file of the hierarchical structure exported from the PC version displays a heirachy but this is a separate hierarchy (with tile of text file) under the default one in Supreme. The photos imprted and their keywords did not seem to link to this but I had imported the photos first.

I would wish to ideally use the new extended default hierarchy in Supreme (e.g. with all places and countries already defined) but merge the imported file into this one i.e. add Paris (a key word in the imported metadata)under France. I would also like to add N2 under Cycling Paths (which is not in the file) under Objects which is under the default.

If I import the whole catalog from the PC version will this just replace the default but if so I loose the new extended catalog of Supreme e.g. with all countries and flags defined? The photos which had been in different directories will be in one and there will be 9500 referenced photos that do not exist. I know I can repoint Supreme preme at the new single directory but does not solve the issue of merging the hierarchy.

If I import just a text file of the hierarchy exported from PC this does to seem to replace the existing one.

If I change the PC version so it writes the hierarchy to the metadata file in the keywords (is this feasible? Somebody suggested it would it be Places.Europe.France.Paris ?) and then just import the files into a new catalog in Supreme will the hierarchy be added to default Supreme one and reconstructed as the files are imported?

Is importing a hierarchy and merging it into the new default one not possible?

Any guidance on correct sequence would be helpful.

thanks

Paul

dickl

Post by dickl » 09 Apr 12 22:58

Hi Paul...

That was my first step in evaluating Supreme. I wanted to maintain my label structure from Idimager....

So in Windows, I exported the catalog structure from Windows 7 (A catalog maintenance command.. Export Catalog structure) to a text file

Then I imported the resulting structure into Supreme as a controlled vocabulary...

Bit of a nuisance, because it imported under an overiding folder called controlled Vocabulary. I had to manually move each label under the default label structure - People, Places etc... But once it was there, applying labels to new images maintained their correct position in the structure...

Hope this helps...

Dick

pgerrish

Post by pgerrish » 15 Apr 12 18:35

Thanks. I had managed to do that but a bit inconvenient to do that if you have lots of subsections and then seemed to find that some photos with imported keywords not registering in catalog structure. I have been successfully exploring other options been more suceesful in choosing in the sync options in the PC to write Lightroom and/or IDI ICS hierarchical key word line to metadata. When images imported into Supreme with correct read settings for import the keywords are read and merged with the default catalog label structure in Supreme. Not sure which is best way and guess depends on how complex your PC label is.

Hert

Post by Hert » 15 Apr 12 18:46

You can also copy the catalog database file from Windows to Mac

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system