Photo Supreme for MacOSX Beta

Hert

Photo Supreme for MacOSX Beta

Post by Hert » 02 Feb 12 18:40

IDimager is photo management software that enables you to easily manage your photos. The software brings structure in your archive by providing a helicopter view which can then be explorer in a "google like" approach.
This starts with downloading your photos from the memory card to the file system. Once ingested you can use the available features to logically categorize them into events, places, people, subject, etc. From within the software you can then edit the images in IDimager or other editors, or share them with others by uploading them to your favorite social media or photo sharing site (facebook, picasa web, flickr, ...). The application also contains powerful features to rate/cull your photos, editing, metadata management, and others.

We are more than proud to announce the first IDimager version for the MacOSX platform: IDimager Supreme for Mac!! A clean application interface, fast operation, and the use of industry standards are the focus points of this new release.

After more than a year of development we now have reached the point where this version becomes available for the public to take it for a first test drive. A test drive? Yes, that is correct, as this is still Beta software. Beta software means that this software is not completely finished yet and may have more bugs than you would expect from final software. The focus of releasing this to you now is that we want to collect user experiences, and of course to find bugs that we are currently not aware of yet; after all...more eyes see more.

If you own a Mac computer that runs either MacOSX Snow Leopard [10.6.8] or newer than you are invited to try this new IDimager Surpreme version and take it for a beta test drive. At the bottom of this message you'll find the download details.

When you decide to use the software then it will run in Trial mode for a 30 day period. This 30 day trial period will extend with 30 additional days after your first 30 trial days are over. There is a requirement that you have an active internet connection during the beta period. This is needed so we can test the new trial mechanism, which will poll our servers each time you start the software.

Last but not least; this is beta software, and can have unpredictable results. Please use this version on copies of your images.

Ok, enough said.

1. Download the IDimager Supreme beta for MacOSX here:
http://www.idimager.com/beta/IDimagerSupreme_V1.pkg

2. Start the downloaded file

If you need feedback, support or assistance then please post your questions here. If you find bugs than you can report those in our bug reporting tool at http://bugs.idimager.com

Have fun trying this new IDimager product!

Hert
IDimagerNE_Mac.png
IDimagerNE_Mac.png (956.6 KiB) Viewed 18764 times
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

george

Re: IDimager Public Beta for MacOSX

Post by george » 02 Feb 12 21:11

Hi Hert,

I previously mentioned my two Mac user friends who are avid amateur photographers. I've now emailed them and encouraged them to try out the public beta:
george wrote:Hey guys. We've talked about DAM software in the past and I mentioned that I use IDimager. Currently, it's Windows only but there's a Mac version under development that's just gone into public beta and the developer is looking for people to test it. The announcement containing the download link as well as a screenshot of the program is here:

http://forum.idimager.com/viewforum.php?f=57

The developer is Hertwig van Zwietering and I've never known a programmer/developer who is more responsive to the customers' needs than Hert. He has said that he believes that strong support is an integral part of any software product, and he lives by this belief as he is answering posts on the support forum on a daily basis. No beta software is perfect and I would use IDimager on a test set of images at first but I've used many of the Windows beta versions and I definitely don't expect it to crash the system or anything like that. If you decide to test it out, please also join the support forum and I'll see you there!

--George
George

Hert

Post by Hert » 03 Feb 12 0:37

A very nice email, thank you George!
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Hert

Post by Hert » 03 Feb 12 13:23

Beta 1.0.0.17 is available;

These are the most important changes:
changes in 1.0.0.17;
1. Changed counter click to give a direct result instead of using the Dynamic Search
2. When saving an image as the Wallpaper then Color Management is respected now (when switched on in Preferences)
3. Counter click now also work for Metadata occurrences (like F2.8 within F-Number)
4. Fixed the icon display in the About dialog
5. Fixed running scripts from within the Batcher
6. Folder states weren't remembered when saving am Ingest Profile
7. Counters in the "By Folders" branch weren't updated when a sub folder got deleted
8. Catalog Labels that were assigned in the Ingestor weren't assigned to the ingested images

george

Post by george » 03 Feb 12 16:47

Hi Hert. I was just about to post on Peter Krogh's forum but I see you beat me to it yesterday. I hope you get lots of interest in the Mac version.
George

frith

Post by frith » 04 Feb 12 5:28

Hert,

As you might recall, I've been a big IDimage fan for, what, 5 years and early on quite active in the forum - perhaps to your frustration trying to get the right color profile information to display for .NEF files and later involved with Mike with the early versions of the user manual.

About a year an a half ago I went from a Windows computer to a Mac. While I run Parallels and can (more or less) easily run Windows programs side-by-side with Apple, I have drifted more toward trying to use exclusively use Apple programs. Hence, less use of IDimage, much as i'd prefer to use it. There are only two programs that I've found lacking on the Mac side - a good file indexing program (e.g. like X1- I find Spotlight lacking in many many aspects) and IDimager.

So I opened the forum today, saw the beta for Mac and....

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Frith

george

Post by george » 04 Feb 12 21:45

A hearty welcome back from me, Frith!
George

Preston B

Post by Preston B » 05 Feb 12 16:22

Hi Hert,

I posted a link to this forum topic and a link to the main IDImager site at Nature Photographers Network (NPN) to let everyone there know about the IDI beta for Mac, and IDI in general.

All the best to you, and thanks for a great program!

--P
Preston Birdwell
Columbia, CA

Photo Supreme on Puget Systems Obsidian: Win 10-64 bit Intel i5Quad Core 3.3Ghz 32GB RAM, and Puget Systems Traverse Laptop. Chamonix 4x5 and Nikon D-7100.

Please visit my web site at www.gildedmoon.com

Hert

Post by Hert » 06 Feb 12 16:47

@Frith, Of course I remember you. Great to see you on the forum again.

@Preston; thank you very much. We need more Mac testers so every effort is very much appreciated!

Hert

Hert

Re: IDimager Supreme Public Beta for MacOSX

Post by Hert » 24 Feb 12 23:30

The beta is updated to 1.0.0.18;

http://www.idimager.com/beta/IDimagerSupreme_V1.zip

Some highlights of this release:

Code: Select all

1. Added drag/drop support from the Grid view
            2. Folder Verifications
            3. Rename physical folders in the Catalog Explorer
            4. Added drag and drop support for files in the "By Folder" catalog view (Cmd/Ctrl drag for copy, or else move)
            5. Added physical file copy/cut/paste support in the Collection Viewer for "By Folder" collections with shortcuts Cmd/Ctrl+C/X/P
            6. Added Copy/Paste support to Portfolios
            7. Added Copy/Paste support to Catalog Labels 
            8. Improved version placeholder accessibility
            9. Printing images
           10. Assignments display in the Info Panel of the full screen display
           11. Using the Full Screen and Light Table is now faster
           12. Portfolios are displayed together with the catalog label assignments when hovering the assignments counter of a thumbnail
Hert

Hert

Post by Hert » 25 Feb 12 13:35

The beta is updated to 1.0.0.19;

http://www.idimager.com/beta/IDimagerSupreme_V1.zip

This beta contains bug fixes.

Hert

frith

Post by frith » 26 Feb 12 0:29

Hert, Thanks for this update. Couple of comments:

1. Copy and past in folder view does not seem to work - the CMD-C and CMD-X have a pop-up confirming the copy or move to clipboard but when you highlight the intended folder and press CMD-V, nothing happes.
2. Dumb question: How do you delete an image? And can you delete the image from the catalog and separately specify to delete the image from the catalog and drive (e.g. out the image file in the trash bin)?
3. Small item: When I click on Preferences, I get a pop-up item that says "Executable not found 'getfileinfo' (0)" - but the preferences dialog box opens OK.

Frith

DirkS

Post by DirkS » 26 Feb 12 0:34

2. Dumb question: How do you delete an image? And can you delete the image from the catalog and separately specify to delete the image from the catalog and drive (e.g. out the image file in the trash bin)?
On windows you select images and use the Delete key; you'll then be given the choice which action to take.
I assume it works the same on OSX...

Gr
Dirk.
Problems searching the forum? Try Google Site Search by adding 'site:forum.idimager.com' to a standard Google search.

Hert

Post by Hert » 26 Feb 12 1:19

frith wrote:1. Copy and past in folder view does not seem to work - the CMD-C and CMD-X have a pop-up confirming the copy or move to clipboard but when you highlight the intended folder and press CMD-V, nothing happes.
You need to paste in the Collection Viewer... so either click in the CV first and press Cmd+V or right click on the CV's background and select "Paste" from the content menu
Press the Delete key. Hmm, now I think about it...some older Mac machines and laptops don't have a Delete key...maybe Cmd+BkSp as an alternative?
3. Small item: When I click on Preferences, I get a pop-up item that says "Executable not found 'getfileinfo' (0)" - but the preferences dialog box opens OK.
We are just aware of this issue...seems to be related to user rights...can you start the terminal application in MacOS? For my info; are you using Snow Leopard or Lion?

Hert

frith

Post by frith » 26 Feb 12 3:38

1. Sorry - this doesn't work. When I click on a new folder in the Category/By Folder view or to the right in the Collection Viewer and either right click and Paste or hit Command V, a dialog box opens asking to confirm the Paste and I click OK and nothing happens. I even "verified" the folder (which I assume updates the folder) and the supposedly pasted image does not appear.

2. I have a 1 1/2 year old Mac Book Pro running Lion (and it has a Delete key). When I select the image and hit the Delete key nothing happens, and I've tried all kinds of CMD - Delete; Option - Delete; etc options and nothing.

3. Lion, as noted above. I can open Terminal with no problem.

Thanks for the help. BTW, nothwithstanding these initial issues, I think the program is on its way to being terrific.

Frith