Search for images in multiple categories using Search window.

allthepix

Search for images in multiple categories using Search window.

Post by allthepix » 21 Apr 21 20:00

I can display images that are in both category_a and category_b by clicking on category_a and CTRL-ALT-CLICK on category_b. Each image displayed is then in both categories.

Is there a text equivalent of this selection that can be typed in the search window at top right corner to achieve the same selection?

Thanks!
Using Photo Supreme 6 (64 bit) to help manage family history images eg. from Church Registers and censuses.

Hert

Re: Search for images in multiple categories using Search window.

Post by Hert » 22 Apr 21 15:08

The Search Manual explains the advanced search capabilities of the Search Box by using search domains.

To get the result of CategoryA and CategoryB you could use something like

Code: Select all

CategoryA+CategoryB@CAT
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message

allthepix

Post by allthepix » 22 Apr 21 15:41

Yes, I have the QuickStart-Searching.pdf manual and have been trying various options but just can't get the search field to perform the selection.

Here's my example - there are 65 images with Category of Hawridge (a parish in Buckinghamshire.) Only one of these also has a Category of Pending (which I'm using to record that I've not yet finished evaluating the image.)

If I click the category of Hawridge and Ctrl-Alt-Click the category of Pending then I get only 1 item selected which is correct. If I search on PENDING+HAWRIDGE then PS returns 65 items which is not correct.

I've tried adding parenthesis, spaces, changing the case and adding @CAT or @PROP to the search but I just don't seem able to get the search to work.

It would be really helpful if you could kindly advise?

Snap99.jpg
Snap99.jpg (183.8 KiB) Viewed 978 times

Update : I've also managed to get to where I want with Dynamic Search. I'm a new user and gradually exploring the functionality. I just wonder why I can't achieve what I want with the Search field?

Snap101.jpg
Snap101.jpg (8.94 KiB) Viewed 970 times
Using Photo Supreme 6 (64 bit) to help manage family history images eg. from Church Registers and censuses.

allthepix

Post by allthepix » 19 Oct 21 20:05

I'm still wondering about this!!! It just seems that the Search window doesn't work properly in the current version (6.5.0.3955) or am I missing something?

Anyone?

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 19 Oct 21 22:03

In the simple search bar a "+" gives an "AND" function / inclusive, whilst a " " / Space gives an "OR" function between terms, finally a "-" is NOT function. There is a table that stretches across pages 5 and 6 which explains.
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

allthepix

Post by allthepix » 20 Oct 21 15:46

Thanks Geoff. Does + work for you?

I just retested and the space and minus work fine but the + does not work as expected I'll probably stick with select and ctrl-alt select for the time being as they seem to work.

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 20 Oct 21 17:03

Interesting!!
Normally when I use that method its normally on an already constrained set of images and its worked fine. However on a much larger set of images it did produce some odd results with both the expected results but also a number of other hits as well, but they all seemed to be linked in some way via other labels which are subsets of one or the other specified labels, hence its not incorrect but its easy to forget that being hierarchal a lower label also has the attributes of a label higher in the structure!
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

allthepix

Post by allthepix » 20 Oct 21 18:23

thanks for checking - Hert : - any thoughts on this please? How is it intended to work?

Hert

Post by Hert » 20 Oct 21 18:28

The Search Bar searches is everything metadata.
If some images aren't returned then make sure that you have their metadata imported correctly (right click -> Metadata -> Read Metadata from File)

You can use search domains to limit the search. Also read the Searching manual
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message

allthepix

Post by allthepix » 21 Oct 21 16:03

I think the answer lies in your first line, Hert - "The Search Bar searches is everything metadata" and in the phrase in the Quick Start - Searching Manual "When you import an
image from the file system then the metadata related to that file is stored in the database.
This includes data like file names, folder paths, but also pre-existing metadata like Exif
and/or IPTC and/or XMP. Then in the application you can continue working with these
images by adding more data to them: assign catalog labels, change image details, build
version sets, and more. You should consider all this data in the database as one big pool of
information that you can search though with the search bar."

I had assumed that the quick search looked only for categories but now realise it looks at all the metadata including file names so that may account for the apparent anomaly in record counts.

Hert

Post by Hert » 21 Oct 21 16:17

Also read about search domains. You can add @PROP in the search bar to limit the scope to metadata of catalog labels only. Or @PROP.PropName to only search in label names

allthepix

Post by allthepix » 21 Oct 21 17:19

yes, I get the desired result if I add @prop.propname to the search string eg. category1 + category2 @prop.propname

Is there a syntax to use the search bar to perform an exclusive (and) search for three or more categories?

Hert

Post by Hert » 21 Oct 21 17:40

NameA+NameB@PROP.PropName

Why not use Dynamic Search instead for such a search operation?