Read Metadata adds Places parent label?

LifeIsLong

Read Metadata adds Places parent label?

Post by LifeIsLong » 19 Jun 21 11:58

I've tried "reading image metadata" and the result always adds one of the parent places labels. I'm using 6.2.1.3709.

My places hierarchy is: Country | State | City | Location. Each level is set to process parent mapping, but only the location level is set to create a keyword. This works great until I try to read metadata from file. The file is synced and the labels look fine. But when I read metadata the city label pops up.

Is this reproducible? I've tried it with two different cities and verified that both have "do not write keyword" set correctly.

Hert

Re: Read Metadata adds Places parent label?

Post by Hert » 19 Jun 21 12:59

You state that your write setting for the catalog label is set to "do not write keyword". But you don't write but read. And since you get a Catalog Label for that City then you most likely have an existing keyword in the metadata of that image for that City.

If you want to change that:
1. Make sure you have your Sync-Write setting to "replace keywords"
2. Un-assign that City label
3. If you don't use auto-sync then now save the metadata (right click -> Metadata -> Save metadata to file)

That will replace the keywords in your file.

You can check what is in your metadata. Use right click -> Run Script from Repository -> Metadata -> Full Exif Dump for that. There check the dc:Subject setting (those are the XMP keywords)
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message

LifeIsLong

Post by LifeIsLong » 19 Jun 21 22:26

I have the settings to replace keywords and did what you said... but upon re-read, the city label pops back up.

So I removed the city label again and re-saved the metadata. I dumped the full exif and verified that the city label does not show in Keywords (n) tags or in dc:subject. Then I re-read the metadata and the city label popped back up.

Hert

Post by Hert » 21 Jun 21 21:22

Each level is set to process parent mapping, but only the location level is set to create a keyword.
That setting is a "write setting". It means: when I write metadata to the file then I want a keyword for this catalog label.

That is unrelated to how you have configured PSU to handle "read settings". Which is what applies when you read metadata to the catalog (like you do). If you don't want PSU to create labels for City on sync-reading then disable that in the preferences (sync read settings->GEO Location Processing).

Here's the default setting: "Up to City Level", meaning that catalog labels are created up to the city level. Disable that if you don't want City labels to be created.
SyncReadGEO.png
SyncReadGEO.png (99.75 KiB) Viewed 322 times
This is a user-to-user forum. If you need product support then please send a message

LifeIsLong

Post by LifeIsLong » 22 Jun 21 21:11

Ahhh, I see. My confusion over that setting meant I didn't use it properly. Even now, I'm guessing that "disabling that setting" means setting it to "Up to Location Level."

I didn't see anything about that setting in the Geo Tagging or Cataloguing manuals... where I go to find more about this?

Hert

Post by Hert » 23 Jun 21 8:39

Most screen widgets are documented in the tips system.
Open the Tips system and hover over the screen widget that you'd like to learn about. That applies to preferences but also for other screen widgets.
TipsSystem.png
TipsSystem.png (163.96 KiB) Viewed 280 times