Walk of shame - How to backuo???O

A forum for questions about how IDimager works
Post Reply
dileshthaker
Posts: 13
Joined: 12 Nov 08 17:24

Walk of shame - How to backuo???O

Post by dileshthaker » 04 Jan 09 16:24

OK, I hope you can help with the rather basic question. While there are other posts on the same topic, I don't seem to able to grasp the methods.

I have had an external HD for a year now, but have not backed up my pictures (4000) - OK, there, I have confessed! It is because I just do not know how to do it.

I have pics on my desktop and laptop (both in My Pictures) and organised by date and short description.

IDImager is my cataloguing program, NX2 primary editor and PSE7 too.


My question is really how to go about backing up in a way that I can incrementally backup thereafter. I want to do it so that IDImager catalog remains stable, keywords, edits, JPEGs, NEFs, sidecars, virtual folders, collections etc. can be brought back in case if computer failure.

Then what is the best way to maintain the backups, ie what process is best?

Sorry, I know this is mundane but I feel i need specific instruction on how to do this. I have invested a lot of work on my edits and don't want to risk losing them.

TrevorH
Posts: 173
Joined: 06 Jan 08 19:23

Re: Walk of shame - How to backuo???O

Post by TrevorH » 04 Jan 09 17:58

There are a lot of backup programs available and various ways of backing up. You don't say if you're a Mac or PC user. I can't help with Mac software I'm afraid.
I use a free program from MS called SyncToy and its very easy to set up. You simply add pairs of folders together. The source and the destination. I use it not only for photos but for all files that I want to have copied.
Take a look here http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downl ... ybeta.aspx if you run a PC and see what you think.
Whatever happens, get the backup done quickly! :lol:
Kind regards,

Trevor :)

DirkS
moderator
Posts: 5234
Joined: 25 May 08 14:28
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Walk of shame - How to backuo???O

Post by DirkS » 04 Jan 09 18:51

In addition to Trevor's post: you will also need to backup IDImager's data (database, etc).

The easiest way to do this is to use IDI's 'Backup to Catalog' function. Select everything (databases and registry) and point it to a dedicated folder on your external harddisk.

HTH
Dirk.
Problems searching the forum? Try Google Site Search by adding 'site:forum.idimager.com' to a standard Google search.

PeterK
Posts: 542
Joined: 19 Feb 06 0:55
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Walk of shame - How to backuo???O

Post by PeterK » 04 Jan 09 23:10

I second Trevor's and Dirk's suggestions. That's exactly what I do.

Also:
1)You can set the sync toy options to NOT replicate deletions! external hd space is cheap. You do not want to delete a file on your primary, have sync toy mirror that deletion to your ext hd, only to find out later that you really need the photo. Cheap protection against inadvertent or ill-advised deletions.

2) I keep a rolling set of seven IDi db backups on my external hd (actually I switch off between two ext hd's). This way I can roll back more than one backup in case I did not realize a problem existed for a while. Again, the db is relatively small, so this does not take much disk space.

3) I do not backup the thumbs db more than occasionally since mine is >4gb.

4) Start this TODAY! I once had three hd's go belly up in a matter of a few weeks.

Peter
V5.1.3.6 ProSL
Vista 64

dileshthaker
Posts: 13
Joined: 12 Nov 08 17:24

Re: Walk of shame - How to backuo???O

Post by dileshthaker » 05 Jan 09 21:32

Thanks so much for your replies.

I am a PC user, I did not know about the microsoft program. Sounds as though that will be useful. I assume it has idiotproof instructions with it. I like the idea of restricting deletions.

I'll try it!

Best wishes

Dil

TrevorH
Posts: 173
Joined: 06 Jan 08 19:23

Re: Walk of shame - How to backuo???O

Post by TrevorH » 05 Jan 09 22:25

Hi Dil,
There are pretty comprehensive instructions with it, although to be honest, it is very straightforward to use. The only thing you really need to think about is the method of backup. As Peter said you can use the mirror option and preserve files deleted from the main HD, which sounds like a good idea, although I use echo which literally duplicates the folder on to your backup drive(s)

Good luck :)
Kind regards,

Trevor :)

WoodSmith
Posts: 39
Joined: 28 Dec 08 13:42

Re: Walk of shame - How to backuo???O

Post by WoodSmith » 08 Jan 09 2:58

this is great and I too never heard of SyncToy great find. I'm also wondering if there is a similar tool to backup to a CD/DVD. What I envision is that if files change on the hard drive that those new versions are picked up and added as an additional session, (I usually keep an unfilled DVD open until I get close its storage capacity).

Even this method is not foolproof. What it a file changes on a closed DVD? What do you guys do for removable media backup scenarios?

george
Posts: 1163
Joined: 24 Jun 07 15:57
Location: USA

Re: Walk of shame - How to backuo???O

Post by george » 08 Jan 09 3:46

Hi Dil,

If you're considering backing up to removable media, I suggest you consider what Peter Krogh suggests in The DAM Book. Basically, he says one should have two sets of backups, one for original images and one for what he calls derivative images. The reason for this is that the original images do not change, so it's easy to keep a chronological backup set. Images processed (derived) from the original ones change over time, especially as one may go back to the originals. Thus, it's best to keep a separate backup stream for derivative images. All this is explained in further detail in the book.
George

WoodSmith
Posts: 39
Joined: 28 Dec 08 13:42

Re: Walk of shame - How to backuo???O

Post by WoodSmith » 08 Jan 09 12:19

george wrote:Hi Dil,

If you're considering backing up to removable media, I suggest you consider what Peter Krogh suggests in The DAM Book. Basically, he says one should have two sets of backups, one for original images and one for what he calls derivative images. The reason for this is that the original images do not change, so it's easy to keep a chronological backup set. Images processed (derived) from the original ones change over time, especially as one may go back to the originals. Thus, it's best to keep a separate backup stream for derivative images. All this is explained in further detail in the book.
Thanks, I'm considering it as a another backup. I already maintain 2 sets as you have indicated above and have them backed up to another machine locally. I'm looking to keep a copy in another location 'just in case'. This the DVD requirement. You're absolutely correct when you say that saving the original raw files is much easier because I do not need to worry about files I have already burned changing. The real problem is the derivative images that once burned, can change, have new files added/deleted etc.

Thanks for the lead on Pete's book, George. I'll need to check that out.

george
Posts: 1163
Joined: 24 Jun 07 15:57
Location: USA

Re: Walk of shame - How to backuo???O

Post by george » 08 Jan 09 13:08

WoodSmith wrote:The real problem is the derivative images that once burned, can change, have new files added/deleted etc.
Dil,

That's true, but Krogh suggests archiving new derivative images in chronological order, not bothering to try to keep them physically with the other derivatives of the same image. He then relies on the DAM application to keep track of originals and derivatives. The book goes into much more detail on this. There's also a forum at http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php
George

blinkit0
moderator
Posts: 162
Joined: 30 May 06 2:30
Location: Georgia, USA
Contact:

Re: Walk of shame - How to backuo???O

Post by blinkit0 » 10 Jan 09 12:32

dileshthaker wrote:OK, I hope you can help with the rather basic question. While there are other posts on the same topic, I don't seem to able to grasp the methods.

I have had an external HD for a year now, but have not backed up my pictures (4000) - OK, there, I have confessed! It is because I just do not know how to do it.

I have pics on my desktop and laptop (both in My Pictures) and organised by date and short description.

IDImager is my cataloguing program, NX2 primary editor and PSE7 too.


My question is really how to go about backing up in a way that I can incrementally backup thereafter. I want to do it so that IDImager catalog remains stable, keywords, edits, JPEGs, NEFs, sidecars, virtual folders, collections etc. can be brought back in case if computer failure.

Then what is the best way to maintain the backups, ie what process is best?

Sorry, I know this is mundane but I feel i need specific instruction on how to do this. I have invested a lot of work on my edits and don't want to risk losing them.
Dilesh,
I have tried just about every solution. I now back up all my photos and few other critical files using this service. http://mozy.com/

Juan
Juan C

doug_w
Posts: 77
Joined: 14 Apr 08 3:52

Re: Walk of shame - How to backuo???O

Post by doug_w » 10 Jan 09 17:21

I use Mozy as well. After weighting pros and cons of various options, I decided it was the best approach for me. It just runs in the background and I know my files are in a safe offsite location without me having to mess with storing hard drives elsewhere or managing hard drive space.

You need a fast upload speed for a service like Mozy to make sense -- every time IDI changes the XMP (which can be pretty often), a file will need to be uploaded again. And the initial upload may take several days, maybe even a week. Mozy probably isn't the best choice if you have a lot of big TIFF or Photoshop files. I have NEFs and JPGs. The nice thing is that only the sidecar file needs to get uploaded when the XMP for the NEF changes.

doug
photography.dougwieringa.com

Post Reply