error message - Invalid argument to date encode

A forum for questions about how IDimager works
doug_w

error message - Invalid argument to date encode

Post by doug_w » 14 Nov 08 3:50

When I sync or run the versioning wizard for some images, I am getting an error message -- Invalid argument to date encode (0). I can successfully export catalog info to image XMP/XMTC (and visa versa), but I can't sync. I can also manually place the image in a version set.

Anyone know what is going on? Should I be worried about this?

doug
photography.dougwieringa.com

Hert

Re: error message - Invalid argument to date encode

Post by Hert » 14 Nov 08 6:34

Doug,

Can you send me one of these files as a sample? I expect that there is some unexpected date entry being found which IDI can't decode.

Thank you

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

doug_w

Post by doug_w » 14 Nov 08 21:31

Here is a NEF/JPEG pair that is affected by this.

Not sure if it matters, but the NEF is a scanned JPG that I edited in Capture NX2 and saved as a NEF. The JPG was created with a Save As in NX.

Thanks.

doug
Attachments
images.zip
(481.94 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

Hert

Post by Hert » 14 Nov 08 22:34

Doug,

Thank you for the samples.
These images don't contain any unusual metadata as I first expected. Can you try what happens if you do a manual import (Ctrl+Alt+F12) on one image and then sync? If that fails do the same for the second image (optionally use Shift+V first to get all images in the a search result for easier testing)

Thank you

Hert
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

rschoner

Post by rschoner » 16 Nov 08 11:28

Hi,

I had a similar thing happen to me a week ago. It had been several months since I had updated the catalog so I was using the Media Explorer to go through all my files to see what had catalog information. Sometimes, sprinkled through a file I would find images that were in the database but had a "blank" thumbnail. Updating the thumbnail did nothing so I clicked on the "XMP" button on the top left of the thumbnail. Most of the time it worked but once in awhile I would get the "invalid argument to date encode" message. I was able to get around it by clicking on a good thumbnail near the bad thumbnail and then going back to the bad thumbnail and the "XMP" button would update successfully. Didn't make much sense but it worked.

I have just updated to v4.2 from v3.5 so may have had something to do with the database conversion. Can't reproduce it now because all files are updated.

Maybe this helps,

Bob Schoner

doug_w

Post by doug_w » 16 Nov 08 22:27

I tried to recreate this, and have some more information. When running the VDW, the problem occurs or does not occur based on where the files are located.

I went to backups, so I was working with the original files (i.e., before IDImager altered any meta data) that were affected by the issue.

When I first tried to recreate, I used a simplified folder structure, with the NEF being the only file in one folder and the JPG being the only file in a sub folder. I imported the NEF and ran the VDW to locate the JPG. The VDW ran without error, and I could sync the version set without error.

Then I tried in my working folder structure with the same files, with the NEF in my source folder (this folder has about 63 files in it) and the JPG in a processed folder (this folder has about 1700 files in it). With the files in these locations I get the same error message -- Invalid argument to date encode.

If I version manually by dragging the JPG from the Windows Explorer to the album placeholder then the version set is established without error and I can change metadata and sync.

I'm running 4.2.0.4.

doug