IPTC dates written over accidentally

A forum for questions about how IDimager works
Zulabarr

IPTC dates written over accidentally

Post by Zulabarr » 12 Feb 11 17:39

I'm trialing Idimager (first the personal version, now the pro) and in the process of experimenting accidentally wrote over the IPTC dates. All of the dates on my pictures now refer to when I moved them in the database, not when they were taken. It's important to me to know when a picture was taken. Is there any way to to get the original dates back into the IPTC fields, and how can I prevent this in the future?

Thanks.

doug_w

Re: IPTC dates written over accidentally

Post by doug_w » 12 Feb 11 22:08

This may not help you now, to prevent in the future, you can include the date in the file name. Several times I've been able to refer to the file name to correct a bad date in metadata.

For example, the image below was taken on Feb 11, 2011 (year-month-date: 20110211).

DRW_D300_20110211594__DSC2012.nef

doug
photography.dougwieringa.com

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 13 Feb 11 4:35

Zulabar,

If you have a backup of the physical image files, they should contain the correct dates. If not, perhaps you have a backup of your IDimager database prior to the time that you accidentally changed the dates.

In the future, be sure to test IDimager and any software using copies of your images in an isolated test environment.

Lars

Post by Lars » 13 Feb 11 5:24

Zulabarr wrote:and how can I prevent this in the future?
You could write protect the images.
W7/64bit, IDimager V5 ProSL

ireeves

Post by ireeves » 18 Feb 11 4:05

RAW or JPG? If RAW (and assuming you are using sidecar files) - you may be able to extract from the RAW file.

Alternatively, if it was me (and I am not in front of a PC with pictures on it at the moment) I would look into the other metadata fields - for instance is there a maker notes field that captures the shooting date (from previous looking, the same metadata often gets stored in a number of areas).

Sorry, not an answer, but something to look at.