More powerful "strip exif" on transfer

A forum for questions about how IDimager works
LifeIsLong

More powerful "strip exif" on transfer

Post by LifeIsLong » 27 Jan 11 23:18

In another forum someone mentioned these two pieces of software:

http://www.geotagsecurity.com/
http://www.superutils.com/products/exifcleaner/

The first one appears to only strip GeoTags and is $20! The second appears to be a more generic metadata remover. Nevermind that GeoTags are not the only type of data someone might want to remove. (I also think it's interesting that there is a market for such specialty programs like the geotag only program.) This got me thinking of a couple of improvements to the current metadata cleaner in IDI.

1. Saved sets of stripped metadata. When I upload to flickr, I want to remove certain tags, when I give photos to family I want to remove other tags, etc. There are named profiles for so many things in IDI, what's one more? (So long as all those profiles get backed up when you do a full catalog backup!)
2. The opportunity to strip individual keywords. I know this sounds anal, why not use private tags? Because some tags I want on my pictures and I want them on pictures I give to family, but I dont want on pictures I upload. Private keywords allow a binary state, on or off. It would be nice to be able to save a profile that said do not let the catalog keyword "Kalamazoo-2010" through, but any other keywords are fine.

Sort of third, though this is more of a question, how does IDI handle custom XMP fields? Are they available for stripping?

I do agree with the software above, that with all the metadata floating around keeping control of it is important. I dont agree that only geotags are a concern, and I dont agree with the sensationalism broadcast by the news sites screaming, "There's personal info in your pictures! Turn off your GPS!" Powerful, efficient management of metadata is required and IDI already does a lot of this (for pictures).

DirkS

Re: More powerful "strip exif" on transfer

Post by DirkS » 28 Jan 11 2:28

1. Saved sets of stripped metadata. When I upload to flickr, I want to remove certain tags, when I give photos to family I want to remove other tags, etc. There are named profiles for so many things in IDI, what's one more? (So long as all those profiles get backed up when you do a full catalog backup!)
AFAIK this is information already saved in the upload / copy profiles.
Sort of third, though this is more of a question, how does IDI handle custom XMP fields? Are they available for stripping?
Yes, but the problem here is that IDI only lets you choose from the field which are currently also visible in the Metadata section of the CE.

Gr.
Dirk.
Problems searching the forum? Try Google Site Search by adding 'site:forum.idimager.com' to a standard Google search.

doug_w

Post by doug_w » 28 Jan 11 18:32

My understanding is that the metadata cleaner doesn't work... It doesn't strip my keywords when I upload to smugmug.

http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14518

doug
photography.dougwieringa.com

DirkS

Post by DirkS » 30 Jan 11 23:35

doug_w wrote:My understanding is that the metadata cleaner doesn't work... It doesn't strip my keywords when I upload to smugmug.

http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14518
IIRC the XMP cleaner *does* work, but if you keep Exif your keywords will still be extracted by e.g. Flickr.

Gr.
Dirk.
Problems searching the forum? Try Google Site Search by adding 'site:forum.idimager.com' to a standard Google search.

doug_w

Post by doug_w » 06 Feb 11 1:58

I must be missing something here. Here is the process I'm following and I'm still seeing keywords on SmugMug.

I select Collection > Transfer > Upload to SmugMug

Keep metadata in downsized copies is checked

I click ... beside it

In the Select Schema Items dialog box, the following items are checked:
Description: Title, Headline, Description (Keywords is not checked)
Copyright Copyright Notice, Source/Original Copyrights
Creators: Creators, Creator Job Title, Creator Contact Info
Image Content: nothing is checked
Additional: Instructions, Intellectual Genre, Usage Terms, Job Identifier
IPTC Extension: everything checked EXCEPT Controlled Vocabulary Term, Location in image, Name of Organization in Image, Person in image
Plus: Everything checked
Technical: Nothing checked

I upload to SmugMug and keywords are uploaded and all the technical information is uploaded (camera make and model, exposure, etc.)
photography.dougwieringa.com